Tesla Model 3 News

No, the last two examples are coupes and the number of windows is wrong.

Side note, wonder if Tesla should have made the Model 3 a coupe?

Anyway the one sedan you posted lacks the drop nose.

I think part of this is that Tesla did a good job of hiding the height of the hood. Ever since cars had to comply with the pedestrian safety rules the hoods have had to be higher which has squeezed the windows and taken away the vertical height of the glass in cars. You used to see the top of the front hood about level with the bottom of the glass in doors. Classic example:

volvo-240_2895_3

Now you either have to have very slit like windows to match the hood level:

Or you have the line of the window under the level of the hood and then go to lots of work to disguise that:

All three of the cars that you posted have hoods higher than the window belt line.

Result is the the Model 3 looks fundamentally different in the hood/A pillar area compared to most modern cars. In fact the Model 3 has a more level transition there than does the Model S or the Model X.

Ironically the Saturn that jumped to my mind has a more flowing transition there than the Model 3 does.

Very interesting analysis. Iā€™ve never thought all that deeply about the shape of cars. All I know is I like the look of the Model 3 and not the saturn. :stuck_out_tongue: Must be some other aspects of it that makes me love it so much. Iā€™m really happy they didnā€™t make it a coupe! I like 4 door cars, so Iā€™d be really bummed if they did that. Maybe theyā€™ll come out with an affordable version of the roadster 2.0 for those that donā€™t care about the back seats. That would be awesome!

3 Likes

Almost, except for the decal.

That decal lets you know that this Gremlin is all that !

Here is how I see the Model3 after a couple years when sales start to flag. This will be the Model3 Sport - Note the Dubs and the faux Convertible Soft Top !

2 Likes

They totally should have lightning decals just like every other car said Turbo on it back in the day.

honda_city_turbo_II_2_86

Be the First on your block with a Turbo- Model3

2 Likes

LoL. I want!! :stuck_out_tongue: ā€¦

itā€™s the mazda 3ā€¦ model 3ā€¦ slurs mazdel 3.

1 Like

Read it this morning. Not a Tesla fanboy at all, but I think both of them were BSing quite strong. Firemen would not mess with the hood, door or trunk release, mechanical or otherwise. They would just apply jaws of life or a pry bar. Also, he works in Detroit.

Mazda 3 is really close.

When you combine the crash requirements, the aerodynamic requirements and so on it is really hard to have a shape that sets your car apart. Also the various manufacturers have gotten really good a copying things that prove popular.

I wonder if this will put a premium on interior design because you can still set yourself apart. Certainly Tesla is banking on that with their Model 3 interior. I suspect a lot of what they did was driven by cost considerations but it has the additional advantage of looking like no other car on the road. You wonā€™t climb into a Model 3 and think you are in a Mazda (or a Saturnā€¦).

1 Like

You must like dreams since your delivery date is pretty much a dream at this point with around 1800 being made a month :slight_smile:

1 Like

The model 3ā€™s interior is quite spartan with a tablet in the center. Iā€™m not a fan. The Mazda 3 blows it away IMO

I think it is nuts to have everything controlled on the tablet. If they were going to remove the central instrument cluster they really should have put in a HUD.

But you have to admit it is a radical re-think of what a car should be. If it turns out to be popular the only way to get one is to buy a Tesla. I suspect it wonā€™t prove to be a very usable interface model. Like a lot of things with Tesla it will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to have 8-10" x 16x20" tablet-like panel in front of me, where gauges used to be. And a smaller one where it is now, but with touch controls only.

The design chief at Tesla worked at Mazda and designed the original Mazda3. This probably explains some of the similarity.

I recall seeing a sketch in a Tesla showroom several years ago that looked a lot like the Mazda6 but was actually the Model S.

Mazda has the best looking cars and SUVs IMO (especially the SUVs which I normally donā€™t care for).

2 Likes

i wonā€™t be impressed with cars until i can tell i can control the car similar to Hey Siri to turn my AC on and roll my windows.

1 Like

I get that people are concerned about this, but I keep seeing these posts from people that havenā€™t seen or driven the Model 3. How about driving one before passing judgement on it? There are absolutely some things Tesla could do better in terms of the UI/steering wheel controls/voice activation, but for now itā€™s REALLY nice as is! I drove the car for a short time and didnā€™t miss having the speedometer or other gauges above the steering wheel at all.

Most people that have driven the Model 3 have commented on how great it is to have the front windshield just completely open with no obstructions. A few people have commented how they wish the speedometer was above the steering wheel, but most have said they got used to glancing to the right very quickly. To me, glancing to the right felt a lot more natural than looking down.

As far as controls. Musk has already said nearly everything in the car will be controlled through voice activation. Personally Iā€™d rather have better steering wheel controls first, but to each their own.

1 Like