Tesla leasing in Kentucky

Saw the $350/mo Tesla deal and always wanted one and thought it was a good time to jump on it. Only issue-- Tesla does not lease in KY. Know some MI friends who leased via Cleveland and didn’t have problems (Tesla doesn’t do leases in MI either). I called Cincinnati Tesla which is about 25 mins away from me in Northern KY. They told me they wouldn’t lease to me. Explained the MI workaround and they had no clue what I was talking about. I called Cleveland and they told me it would be no problem after telling them about the MI lease workaround. We kept talking on the phone about how Cincinnati told me they couldn’t then he told me that’s probably the case then.

Anyone know any workarounds? I wouldn’t qualify for 7500 otherwise so only really interested in leasing/ potential move in 2yrs. One of my buddies half jokingly told me to “move” across the river to his place in OH, but seems like way too much work.

Whats the ohio workaround? Get a mail drop box like in montana?

1 Like

Fixed that for you

7 Likes

Saw it where?

Tesla’s website. It went from 399/mo in Jan to 350/mo. Not really a deal technically, sorry.

That’s with $4,500 down and before TTL.

That’s not an attractive TCO at all.

1 Like

Tesla doesnt offer a $350/mo lease.

Cant forget all the other costs they asterisk out.

1 Like

MI residents can take delivery in Cleveland, where Tesla can lease. Then they just drive it back to MI and register it there (via Tesla). I just don’t understand why same concept doesn’t apply to KY.

Yes, I am aware. With 5000 or so due@sign = $350 is what I meant. Would have added $x “effective” otherwise. TCO is still less now than it was last year if you didn’t want to buy it after. If I qualified for 7500, I’d buy it outright and sell it after 3-5 yrs. But I do have some uncertainty about where I’ll be in the country in 2-3 yrs, and just prefer a lease now. I am open to other EVs too, but with Tesla it’s approx $500/mo everything inclusive. I don’t think I can get an i4 at that price. Open to other suggestions.

Where do u see the MT route being a “felony tax evasion?” Clearly, some ppl like paying taxes more than rest of us, more power to u.
I also have heard speeding 5mph over speed limit to be punishable by firing squad…

From the people getting charge by their states for tax evasion.

Several states are cracking down on it and going after people.

Got it! “sources” are telling us.

1 Like

For example

1 Like

Good boy, Can u also find an example for KY? Next for MI and OH please.
“Sources” are telling us, there is a small percentage of individuals that get in trouble for felony tax evasion, then they pay their sales tax and everything is in order.
In reality, state will have a tall mountain to climb in order to prove you are not using the vehicle in MT.
In NY for example, as long as u drive out of state once every 30 days you can have vehicle registered outside of NY.

You asked for an example. I gave you an example.

If you choose to knowingly violate your state tax laws because you might not get caught, thats your choice.

1 Like

Yep,
Let’s go with that,
The best part of MT route is:
Not only u don’t pay sales tax, if ur vehicle is older than 10 years, MT will issue a permanent registration for you. With no need to renew or get an inspection. One time zero fee for perpetuity

Or until the tax man comes knocking. Then it might get expensive…

1 Like

The ‘loophole’ is there is a Store in MI, but no inventory.

Is there a Tesla store in Kentucky?

https://insideevs.com/news/429056/tesla-delivering-cars-michigan-big-three-turf/

Because of a Commonwealth law that prohibits them from operating there.

You should ask these people — who you actually know IRL — how THEY did this. Did they have a DL/registering address in OH? Did their parents in MI cosign, or go on as primary?

How is MI law different? Tesla leases can be transferred — that may be another option (and an arbitrage opportunity for those :fish:)

Or ask these :low_battery: :oncoming_automobile: :clown_face: how they did it.

Let us know what your research finds!

One of six states

These easy solution for the In-n-out of car brands is to franchise there.

Or OP has freedom of movement to any of 43 other US states if they want to buy/lease a new one.