Tesla bankruptcy?

This is all CYA from Tesla.

Either you can operate safely in autonomous mode or you can’t. You don’t get to have it both ways.

The spin from Tesla won’t change anything

My school of thought is: Salesman is your enemy, never believe anything he says. Perhaps, that’s why I can’t get a good deal on a car.:cry:

Car crashes will always happen, regardless of whether things are completely autonomous or driven by people - so the fact that a Tesla (or any autonomous vehicle) accident occurred is not surprising. What is more interesting is whether, on average, autonomous driving is leading towards a lower incidence rate compared to human drivers (believe stats say both sides right now). My sense is that eventually, the algorithms governing these will become so much more sophisticated that they will far outperform human drivers and save countless lives.

What I find really fascinating and complex is how you program ethics into an algorithm. Here is a thought experiment:

An autonomous vehicle is driving along and now predicts an accident will occur. There are 10 pedestrians walking along the sidewalk. The vehicle has two options in this scenario, 1) swerve into the group of people, likely killing or injuring many of them, yet saving and protecting the driver, or 2) swerve into a light pole with a high likelihood of killing or significantly killing the driver, although saving the lives of the walking pedestrians.

On the surface, it would feel like #2 would be the right altruistic answer; however, as a consumer deciding between two autonomous cars, if you learn one car is programmed to protect you and one is programmed to protect the greater good… which would you actually buy knowing your family may be in the car that you choose as well (assuming all other features are equal)?

There are more crazy ethical questions they are trying to figure out in all this… pretty wild stuff.

It’s been discussed somewhere long time ago, don’t recall where exactly.

Wow, this is a totally entire different ball game.

For me, I will only buy the concept of autonomous car if and only if these cars get their own motorways to operate on. So there is NO human behavior mixed into the AI. Human is born to behavior unexpected. No AI that I can foresee in near future can handle human induced corner cases. But it is my very own conservative opinion.

Someone needs to ask Wilton Knight how he programmed his algroithm. KITT was designed to protect human life, and that was back in 1982.

You’d think Elon could master it almost 40 years later

2 Likes

that’s the problem. It’s going to take decades to weed out the people driving cars before we’re fully autonomous. Our fine highway maintenance crews across the US can’t keep up with the existing roadways because they “don’t have the money,” so there is no way they will create separate highway systems for AI cars only.

There is no way this is going to happen overnight with the millions of cars on the road. Most (if not all) of us on this site will probably be dead by that point.

Fully deploy yes, it will take a long long time. But smaller scale intial test, I can see it happening. Just start with a small section of highway, maybe just even a few lanes in that section, of course needs to have barrier, that only autonomous cars can go in, and once inside, human control is removed?? something like that?

To not risk being remove due to off topics, I will keep this related to Tesla. Another thought is do you think Elon Mush is taking his family and kids in his car in full auto pilot mode on road trip, or daily commute to day care? I think the day he starts to do it consistently, I maybe give it a try too. If someone makes an airpline that he/she won’t fly in it, I probably wont either

So, Tesla bankruptcy?

This man could say he’s taking a shit, and the stock price will go up.

Let’s see if he’s actually right. Based on his previous track record, I wouldn’t bet on it.

1 Like

Isn’t this exactly how pros make money on the stock, by betting it drops? If you’re so sure, you should be a millionaire by betting on Tesla.

It takes money to make money.

I didn’t say I’m betting the stock was going to drop. I said I wouldn’t bet on the fact he’s going to turn a profit…at least not on his timeline. His timelines have never been correct.

oh my god cars are getting more scary every day. wth

It depends. Let us assume each of these 10 persons make minimum wage and the Tesla driver is a high flying surgeon who saves a lot of lives??? You see the dilemma???
Therefore in these situations the computer should generate a random “coin flip” and decide based on that flip…

I dont think I can face palm hard enough

That one was a complete fluke. Sounds like he was inside van and 3rd row wasn’t latched, he reached over 3rd row to get to cargo area and seat flips and traps him. Police show up 10 min after his 1st call yo 911 and they cant find van. Later looking through parking lot never find it and thought it was a crank call, as he called 911 again and operator never relayed the 2nd call to the police. His family found his van and body 6 hours later at school. Absolute tragedy.

yeah but OMG. sad. i need to stop reading the news.

I read that they never looked in the first place.

How there hasn’t been a class action yet is the most surprising thing of all. Tesla claims the car can literally drive itself from source to destination, and their employees claim you can even just sit there and watch your baby.

What a case study into sheeple.