Tesla and other EV News

We can all go back and forth about Tesla, Tesla’s interior, price, specs, etc. And all that is cool and you don’t have to buy a Tesla. I’ll consider Lucid a competitor once I see the car in person. Its all fun and games looking at prototypes and specs but when comes to building and manufacturing the machine that’s going to build the car is when the real work gets done. It’s hard being a new car company. I imagine it’s even harder to mass produce a vehicle.

I’m looking forward to Ford, Lucid, VW, GM, Robins, Volvo, and even that EV Hummer. Isn’t the Ford’s Mach E supposed to be out here pretty soon? I’m pretty sure it said late 2020?

Hopefully Tesla will start doing the real work one of these days.

1 Like

Not sure where you are located, but Lucid is opening up quite a few design studios (showrooms) in California and on the East Coast.

I wonder if they will manage to cheat emissions with this one. :grinning:

1 Like

They have the eTron to get that out if their system.

The executives AND engineer went to jail, one of the few corporate scandals where the offenders got what they deserved.

1 Like

Ford comes out swinging

Maybe the bulk of those 500K sales will be in China? I don’t expect the ID4 to be anywhere near 250K units in the US.

I recommend watching this video about the Lucid Air. It is only 20 minutes.

I’ve been hearing that for ages. Still waiting to see an EV sport sedan by BMW, Audi, etc.

Thought about the Etron as a stopgap measure but the charging network doesn’t inspire much confidence. Few charging stations and apparently even fewer that work.

1 Like

If electrics can replace one car in a two or three car household, they won’t require a charging network. I don’t require one, I suck all the free 110v at work that I can and plug in at home every other week to fill the gap. This is where the growth is, get people to accept electrics through the convenience of not having to deal with charging networks. I bet at least 50 or 60% of households could utilize one ev without using any kind of charging network.

3 Likes

The main problem is VW will not make too many cars available for US market anyway so there will not be a demand problem.
Watching auto manufacturers going into the ev market is like watching a slug race.:- :snail:

Finally bit the bullet and went electric. My original plan was to use the free power at work but we still don’t have an action plan to get back to the office. WFH for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

I think people want convenience even if they don’t really need it. Everyone is just programmed to see a gas station on every corner and it makes them feel good. I think the #1 question I get asked is “what happens when you run out are are stranded??” I don’t think anyone will catch Tesla for this reason.

https://www.tesla.com/models

https://www.tesla.com/modelx

The new refresh looks pretty sweet. That’s all I’ve been hearing is this “new refresh”. But also a Plaid Model X??

Looks the same but with a more plain interior and a steering wheel from a 1980s arcade game.

Also a Plaid+ S, with 1/4 mi < 9s :astonished:

Yeah, the steering I’m not a fan of…but 1020hp and under 2 seconds for 0-60 mph…wow! Not your family sedan anymore…unless you want to give your kids some brain damage.

Edit: “* With rollout subtracted”…what?! So it’s not a true 2 seconds?

I’ve seen that “with roll outs subtracted” popping up on a couple different cars recently.

You know, a honda civic will do 0-60 in 2 seconds too if you don’t count some of the time.

Subtracting roll-out is common at drag strips and in car magazines. Recent equipment had made it not necessary, but it has many decades of history as the common measuring method.

1 Like

minus the steering wheel everything looks fresh and modern. The steering wheel not digging it, but if you need to feel like the hoff commanding “kitt” then target achieved.