TechHackr Thread ——

TB2 has the bandwidth to drive 4k, it’s video card dependent.

Budget?

Personal recommendation for a dual screen setup is something with very small bezels.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-24MP88HV-S-24-Inch-Monitor-Infinity/dp/B01BX3FCJG
https://www.amazon.com/North-Bayou-Monitor-Computer-Screens/dp/B01EHQL3LW?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Sanity check, do you want 4k, HDR, any speacial features? IPS and 60hz with a bezeless frame is pretty good for your use case.

1 Like

Weird… amazon is down right now

Can I be honest

All I do is look at the internet, email, and spreadsheets

That all looks nice!

Do you need a dual monitor setup, you seem like a great candidate for an ultra wide, think of the spreadsheet potential.

Yeh I like multiple screens at all times

More screens the better

Like if I had my own NOC, but with 1/25 the brain power

1 Like

ultrawide gives you the realestate of multiple monitors without being multiple monitors

1 Like

Pretty much, it’s so much more seamless for spreadsheet usage across an ultra wide then multiple monitors.

This is harder than picking a car!

Ok maybe not but still

1 Like

If you’re talking Ultrawide - might as well go big or go home.

3 Likes

Are you sure that a MBA without USB-C can support that?

It’s 5120x1440. He has a thunderbolt 2 port. It is possible. If he did a dock, he would need an updated one with displayport or hdmi 2.1.

@Bostoncarconcierge If you want screen real-estate for days, get 2 of those 32" Samsung monitors I mentioned at under $1000. If you want big-multi-monitors but maybe more display snobby, two of these:

or

this is a better value

You either need two of these, or one of these

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13234

and one of these

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12795

No broker fee, but you know how you can make it up to me. :wink:

Just keep in mind: if you ever want to go to mount multiple displays (not set on desk) they need a VESA mount which is rare larger than 27"…

1 Like

He has USB-C ports (which isn’t the issue: Mini-Displayport/TB2 has multiple PCI-Express lanes direct to the CPU), the video card is going to be the problem. Pretty sure he has this:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP753?locale=en_US

Graphics

• Intel HD Graphics 6000

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz on an external display, both at millions of colors

• Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and dual-link DVI output using adapters (sold separately)

Two monitors is going to be a stretch (if possible) with a 6000…

According to Apple:

These Thunderbolt-capable Mac computers can support up to two connected Apple Thunderbolt Displays:

• MacBook Pro (2011 and later)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2012) and later
  • iMac (2011 and later)
  • Mac mini (2011 and later)

Source: About Thunderbolt ports and displays

So, you can use two Thunderbolt displays with a MacBook Air, but you will need to daisy chain them. Note this applies to all models of MBA from Mid-2012 and later. In some cases users have had to do this by, for example, connecting a Thunderbolt display directly to the MBA and then connecting another powered Thunderbolt device (e.g. a Thunderbolt drive) to the display, and then connecting your second Thunderbolt display to the Thunderbolt drive.

Other options

I have seen setups in which users have connected one Thunderbolt display directly to the MBA’s Thunderbolt port and a second DVI display via a USB-DVI adapter. Some seem to work quite well, others not so much. If your intention is to just do some word-processing and browsing, this’d be fine, but if you wanted to use the display for more intensive tasks, I would not go this route.

The HD Graphics 6000 was a mobile integrated graphics solution by Intel, launched in September 2014. Built on the 14 nm process, and based on the Broadwell GT3 graphics processor, the device supports DirectX 12. Even though it supports DirectX 12, the feature level is only 11_1, which can be problematic with newer DirectX 12 titles. It features 384 shading units, 48 texture mapping units, and 6 ROPs, . The GPU is operating at a frequency of 300 MHz, which can be boosted up to 1000 MHz.
Its power draw is rated at 15 W maximum. HD Graphics 6000 is connected to the rest of the system using a PCI-Express 2.0 x1 interface.

This might be one that needs to be tested in person first to be 100% certain.

I believe what I have read is that it’ll support two 4k monitors, but only at 30 hz each.

Maybe he just needs to find two good used Apple Cinema Displays and daisy chain them.

Best non-hassle solution probably.

Even in the original box, they don’t ship well. My prior iMac was a 27" that could be used in Target Display Mode as an external monitor, and I loved that. It died after 6 years, and the new ones don’t support TDM.

Best no-hassle is to sell the laptop too and get a 2019 MBA and 2 gigundo monitors…

You guys are great and know your stuff thank you!

2 Likes

We’ll expect pics of desk and monitor(s) on Show Us Your Desk!

2 Likes

MBP with 4 TB ports is probably a much better future-proof investment.