TechHackr Thread ——

Have looked online and read that this is possible through a couple of different adapters.

Does anyone have first-hand experience they are willing to share?\

I do not use dual monitors, but I frequently connect my Macbook Pro and Air to my TV. I use one of the multi-purpose lightning adapters and a male to male HDMI cord from the adapter to the TV. You can either mirror the screen or use it as a second monitor through screen preferences.

1 Like

Mike I bought this one about 6. months ago and couldn’t be more satisfied.

Currently connects:
x2 Dell monitors (display port)
USB headset
cat6 ethernet
USB flash drive
Edit* provide power to MacBook

Only thing plugged into my MacBook is the single USB-C cable.

5 Likes

Thanks guys!

I have the single monitor hookup to it now, but would like to add two for a total of two monitors + the air.

1 Like

Does the MacBook air have HDMI out, display port out, or USB c/thunderbolt out?

If it’s usb-c/thunderbolt, there are some usb-c to split HDMI/display port adapter available.

Charging and Expansion

• Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
  • Thunderbolt 2 port (up to 20 Gbps)
  • MagSafe 2 power port
  • SDXC card slot

a good handful on your provided list are USB-C so rule them out

What is coming from your current monitor? HDMI? DisplayPort? VGA?

1 Like

I’d be willing to buy two new monitors

So for now the connectivity is the most critical piece

Unfortunately those are USB-C/Thunderbolt 3. Also, the cheaper ones have two outputs on them, but cannot separate them meaning that you will see the same thing on both of the monitors.

Thunderbolt 2 has the same connectivity as a MiniDisplayPort adapter, and you can buy any of the relatively cheap adapters on Amazon if you look up MiniDisplayPort to HDMI or VGA. Just plug the one side into the HDMI cord connected to the monitor and the other to that Thunderbolt 2 port.

Then, I would get a USB-A (regular USB port) to HDMI or VGA adapter for the second monitor. I would recommend HDMI over VGA in both cases because VGA requires a digital signal to be converted into an analog one, which can induce a slight latency. Also, I should add that some of the cheaper versions of the USB-A to HDMI do not work on a Mac, but I think StarTech may have one that you can get a driver to make it work.

If you are using both USB ports on your laptop, get a USB-A 3.0 hub and that will give you some more ports. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Super helpful thank you!

1 Like

I have a hp thunderbolt dock so I connect all my usb/monitor to the dock and use the usb-c to connect to my macbook, it’s more expensive much simpler.

That’s Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbps). Thunderbolt 2 does not have the same capacity.

Correct. TB2 can connect to one monitor over DisplayPort (my preferred) / HDMI / DVI / VGA with adapter. TB3 is a transformer. Having finally replaced my 2015 MBPs with a 2020 13” I just ordered a USB-C dock and already have USB-C to displayport (big boy). Fedex also brought a new toy an hour ago that I’m hooking up now. Stay turned for pics in

Which one did you go with? Also, MBP with 4 ports or 2?

Not too familiar with the TB2 specification, but I remembered there was a reason that the MBPs had two of them back in the good days.

:point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2: I needed 32gb of ram

I’m trying this hub out

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=302&cp_id=30202&cs_id=3020207&p_id=34434&seq=1&format=2

Nice! I like the ones that attach onto the laptop itself and don’t have some extra cable you have to carry around.

1 Like

I hate carrying a dongle bag but :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

You have the most useful MB Air IMO. Can charge while using the other ports. You should be able to dongle any of those three ports into HDMI/DVI/DP without changing monitors. If you don’t have dongles Monoprice is the cheapest for non-Apple ones. Can also PM me I might end up with a few extra I don’t need as I sell off my 2015 MBPs.

1 Like

Thank you all

My wife has a 16” MBP and I want to get her an extra monitor. Which do you recommend?