TechHackr Thread ——

Get a USB-C monitor. Hooks directly into the computer without the need for an HDMI dongle. Some also charge them. I know Dells sells a few both there are a ton. Pretty sure Dell P2419HC has some USB ports on it to so no need to get extra for keyboard and mouse.

1 Like

Any chance we could rename this thread to TechHackr?

1 Like

They’re nice because of the pass-through ports and charging, but not worth the extra money unless you are port constrained in my opinion. That MBP has 4 USB ports (-1 for charging). I’d get a USB-C to DisplayPort and get a nice 27-28” 4k for ~ $300. I’ve had good luck with the Samsungs myself. The LG monitors apple sells are really nice but 4k usb-c is $599 and 5k is $1299 (we aren’t discussing the $5000 6k with a $1000 stand). My iMac is 5k so I didn’t see need for a second 5k even as external to laptop.

Something like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IRRI568/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iHTZEb9E57CF2

Sams and Costco usually have good monitor deals (my last two Samsung monitors shared a cart with a rotisserie chicken), but they have been wiped out for months.

The Samsung (bought direct) I just got was $499 for 32” 4k and $25 off Memorial Day weekend and another 6% off whatever ebates is now (Raktagino? Ratatouille?)

Some people don’t like curved especially if working in creating flat things (video/photo editing, some document production). I have used one quite a few times before but I am still adjusting to it.

Other really good brands. Dell has many nice monitors.

1 Like

To add on, I’m very happy with an LG Ultrawide, and Dell 4K monitor for productivity with usb c + 2.0 pass through. Mike, is this for creative work or just brokering? You might be happy with a single ultra wide setup, if it contains usb c pass through (with thunderbolt), USB 2.0 ports, and is big enough for you to comfortably multitask on one screen It may be an option. A thunderbolt monitor may not be a terrible idea, as you get io/connectivity out of it, but a dongle might provide more options with other ports like SD cards, etc.

Happy compromise, you could always sacrifice the thunderbolt port and HDMI port on a dongle/dock for dual monitors, io through the thunderbolt monitor, and on the dongle.

To follow up on jeisen, I love Costco, my Alienware e sports monitor was from Costco, was a steal at $350 for a 240hz tn panel. Their return policy and dead pixel policy is second to none.

1 Like

At the risk of asking to get punched on St. Patrick’s Day, I can’t imagine why you would buy a television anywhere but Costco. Ever. Whatever you could save by ordering online or going to a specific place plus a putrid Square trade warranty (sometime great / sometimes dreadful) I would much rather drive to the nearest Costco and exchange it for another one while I’m filling propane and ruining my paint job in their $8 car wash.

Wait your Costco has a car wash? Mine only has hot dogs and gas, not even propane :/.

1 Like

That’s the kind of Costco people go for the apocalypse. Wow.

The Costco carwash is :bomb::boom:

Sadly the Costco with the proper alcohol selection (not just jugs of Kirkland’s cheapest) doesn’t have propane or carwash.

YOU GET BOOZE TOO, not that I know what that is :point_right: :point_left:, I only drink in China where it is legal.

PA liquor laws suck.

2 Likes

Costco’s electronics return policy is only 90 days - I wouldn’t pay much more for that

Oh right - duh I have lived in the east coast. Yes: normal Costco / eye center & pharmacy / tire center / alcohol including on Sundays (between wiper blades aisle and food, not in a separate outside entrance) and then one unlocks both the propane and car wash achievements.

And perfect weather. And fruit trees in your back yard.

Yes thank you for reminding me to clarify that. Not unlike the three lemons that I’ve leased: of all my TVs the only problems I had were DOA/immediate. I got an amazing deal on a Sony XBR that was damaged in shipping and they couldn’t replace it and I couldn’t replicate it. Almost 2 months of cross shipping that would have been solved in an afternoon (2 trips whump whump).

Costco changed electronics return policy (which frankly was abused: do I have a story about a finance manager so cheap their Costco returns made the local radio at Christmas) but they automatically extend warranty to 2y, and sell square trade, or your costco visa extends an additional what 1-2 years? If you normally buy extended warranties it’s a good value.

The only warranty I consistently buy is AppleCare, which has always paid for itself.

We got tire, gas, and food. Seasonal garden center, and seafood roadshow, that’s it.

1 Like

Well this thread has got me thinking about getting a second monitor plus a dock or getting an ultrawide monitor for work. Using my laptop as a second monitor has become unbearable and with WFH going to continue for the foreseeable future, I think it’s worth the investment.

I’m either considering getting another HP VH240a (if I get anything else my OCD will bother me to no end having two different monitors) and a dock (likely a refurb HP Elite USB-C TPA-B0). Could I use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to go from the dock to the monitor? Or would that not work?

Alternatively, how big of an ultrawide is realistically needed to take the place of two monitors?

3 Likes

I miss the $4 touchless wash in company garage.

I have a 34inch, which can comfortablely replace 2 screens. Besides, you really need a huge table for something larger.

2 Likes

IANAE but IIRC from when I extensively tested this a few years ago, the max refresh rate over HDMI at 4k was 30hz but displayport (the biggo connector) did 60hz. I am that rare weirdo that can see refresh rate. So whether the pluggo on the laptop is USB-C or TB2 or TB3 doesn’t matter at 4k or less, you want the monitor-side: DP > HDMI > DVI > VGA for best resolution and refresh rate. At 5k/6k you need TB3/USB-C.

The Dell docking stations do bigboy-DP to bigboy-DP which looks amazing on their 32-36” curved widescreens.

A good photographer friend who is pretty savvy has a NICE 3 monitor setup they complained looked awful. Nice Dell high-end laptop, DP on the docking station, to analog VGA on monitors (which had DP and HDMI). Changed the cable: night and day.

1 Like

30Hz to 60Hz is a huge deal. Same with 60Hz to 144Hz. Anything beyond that is not a big deal.

Yikes I overthought everything. I don’t even need a dock. I can just grab a USB C to HDMI cord that I’ll plug into the Thunderbolt 3 port on my laptop. Will it all fit on my tiny IKEA desk? Meh I’ll make it work

1 Like

two 34" ultrawide imo

Realistically, though, I think one 34" ultrawide should be enough, depending on what you’re doing

1 Like

I don’t want to ruffle any feathers, but do you stare at the bezels between the two screens?