Taycan Launch Happening Now!

Lol…looks like i’m the only one on here that likes this Porsche offering. Maybe some of you were expecting too much…let’s not forget this is their first ev…and it’s not like the other manufacturers did any better compared to what Tesla has on the market.

While I’m not terribly impressed by the Taycan’s pricing, I’m almost certain that Audi’s e-tron GT will be much more cost effective. That being said, the Taycan in Turbo/Turbo S guise is in line with their price range of turbo and turbo S models (911/panamera), so I’m not sure what people were expecting.

I started watching this in my hotel room this morning. The flowery, verbose opening caused me to get distracted and I never ended up looking at the rest of the video.

@Mark.ca, I agree with you. It looks great inside and out, and initial reviews are positive. Fully Charged did good one a few weeks back. I’m looking forward to the age of electric vehicles that are not only fast in a straight line, but, fast around corners too. I think that’s what the Taycan is here to do.

Prices are high, but when has Porsche ever sold a value friendly vehicle?

Watched the launch live and with all of the audio issues, the event was a debacle.

Mmm hmm

1 Like

Lol, no shit with that chart.

Model 3 came online and the S is probably due for a refresh. Can probably trace that same demand curve for just about every product as it goes through it’s arc of launch, ramping, and then demand falloff.

2 Likes

No word of S refresh, in fact Musk shot down the rumors. They probably don’t have money to invest on it. It does not look dated when you look at it objectively but people probably don’t want to buy 8 year old design…

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with eight year designs. Brands like Volvo used to do it with their 240 or 740 models and one would argue that their brand was at their best back then with the 240 being their most reliable and recognized model

The Volvo 200 Series (or 240 and 260 Series ) is a range of mid-size cars produced by Swedish company Volvo Cars from 1974 to 1993, with more than 2.8 million total units sold worldwide.[6] Like the Volvo 140 Series (1966 to 1974), from which it was developed, it was designed by Jan Wilsgaard.

Or they wised up and are keeping their mouth shut for once. What good will it do to your present sales to tell your potential customers that a much better car is coming?

Anyway, back to Porsche…rumor is Cayman is next.

“Better car” may not be the best way to describe it with the way Tesla is doing things. Frequent over the air software updates improved S quiet a bit in its current body. Potential customers will seek for a different “design” though. I suspect it will drive and work just the same.

As expected, the Taycan (pronounced tie-con) launch has driven many Tesla fans bonkers.

Musk announced he’s taking the Model S to Nurburgring for a time trial (as if Porsche doesn’t have 10 track modified Taycans to run behind it), including an instagram tease

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Br245iPoL/

Except

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28942079/tesla-model-s-nurburgring-lap-attempt-porsche-taycan/

#whoops

VW ID.3 is just a few days from official release too. Looking forward to the LA Auto Show this year.

1 Like

Getting the popcorn out. Curious what mods they did on that S model.
I was super excited about ID3 since i first saw it at LA Auto in ‘16…now i say screw VW for not bringing it here.

Definitely not stock wheels/tires, as those are the 20” wheels from Model X. Model S only comes with 19s or 21s from the factory.

1 Like

Taycan Turbo is priced same as a Panamera Turbo. I wonder if there will be a Taycan which is priced as Panamera around 87k. That model would sell a lot better. 90% of the people don’t care about performance figures.

1 Like

“Tesla Model S Plaid Reportedly Tops Porsche Taycan Ring Time With Ease”

Let’s see some official times first…

Keep in mind, this information was provided by a witness and is unofficial. It was also just timed “by hand.” Regardless, a 20-second lead in practice rounds is pretty incredible.

I look forward to official times, and the EV performance war this may eventually create. Also to see if Plaid added cooling to allow multiple laps without going into limp mode.

I would assume so. Also thinking this will be the new P100D starting next year…probably.

1 Like

This may be the start of a new automotive industry. I hope that other manufacturers respond in kind and introduce new, performance oriented electric cars.

womp womp womp

1 Like