SUVS: Which would you choose and why? Atlas SE w/motion/tech, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mazda CX9 Touring w/Premium

We’re a family of 5, with multiple car seats, so the atlas would be the easy choice for me. That thing is huge.

1 Like

Toyota Highlander , FTW

That’s not really a consideration for the OP, however, considering he was looking at vehicles like the JGC.

OP asked which would I choose and why. I answered the question. If my situation doesn’t apply to him he’s free to disregard.

1 Like

I picked up an Atlas SE with Tech 4motion late last month and love it so far. Also considered the CX9 and Pilot. CX9 drives really well but third row is barely usable, especially for taller kids/adults. Almost went with the Pilot but so many infotainment and transmission issues reported.

The Atlas just clicked all of the space needs (especially with growing kids and a dog) and driving dynamics I was looking for, while also having a more rugged SUV look. This is just my opinion though - it’s all going depend on how YOU like driving each and how it will fit into your life. Good luck!

I test drove every 3-row “non-luxury” suv (except for MDX).

If you need room, then your only choices are the Atlas and Pilot. The VW’s transmission had this terrible 1-2 shift that was very jerky and impossible to get rid off. Test drove two different units just to confirm. However, the interior dimensions are superb. The Pilot was ok, ergonomics and NVH were better than the Atlas, but it lacked front seat leg room.

Pilot’s lease much better than Atlas in the MW.

The Telluride/Palisade were the favorite balance of interior space and features/build quality, but Kia and Hyundai dealers are terrible to deal with and they are selling above MSRP and offer terrible leases.

Durango felt like a cheap piece of FCA outdated garbage and the 2nd row captains’ chairs are fixed in place. Didn’t even consider.

Highlander and Infiniti have outdated tech and were crossed of the list as well.

GMC Acadia looked great until you looked below the gauge cluster, then it was typical GM cost cutting crap. It also has no interior space.

Subaru Ascent was a top choice as well, but the horror stories of the CVT on the forums and the absolute lack of any type of discount swayed us away. However, interior packaging and comfort is a good balance.

MDX was also very comfortable, but it has some of the worst front legroom out of all the SUV’s.

Ended up in the CX-9 because it offered the best balance of lease payment, tech, driving dynamics and styling. Has all the relevant tech, even if it’s implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Yes, the 3rd row is for emergency use only, but the 2nd row legroom is very good, especially compared to the CX-5.

You can get them (easier with the palisade) a good bit under MSRP if you work it.

Tried for about a month. Hyundai dealers are the worst (except for Kia, which is right there with FCA as being horrendous). Even Genesis co-branded dealers had the same feel to the buy-here/pay-here lots. They all refused to deal over the phone or via email. Finally was able to go in and speak directly with the GM who managed to get me about 4% off a Limited before incentives. From what I remember, that landed a payment in the 500’s.

You’ll definitely be in the mid to high $500s on a limited with around 4%, which is higher than most of the competition… But it’s also nicer than most of the competition.