Subaru WRX STI lease help.!

Run, don’t walk. To another store.

That’s too bad. Patriot has been great in the past! I’m eatin crow

Then finance it. You’re just burning money with that MF/rent charge and the acq fee.

Zero discount, almost $24,000 to drive a $43,000 car for 3 years, unknown numbers and unwillingness to share them. Ya, this is awful.

2 Likes

What would be a reasonable monthly payment for a car like this.??? Like i said im new at leasing cars

Do some searches on this forum for that model, but here is one from last year. It’s not apples to apples exactly since it’s older, but it should give you an idea. Good or Bad deal? Subaru WRX $269 A month

This one is $269 a month, so it’s a gigantic difference.

Here’s what it should look like on a base WRX STI (no push to start, no Moonroof, and no Harmon Kardon sound system) and assuming you have tier 1 credit (700+ credit score with a decent history). This is all based off of CA DMV fees and tax rate.

MSRP: $38,600
Invoice price: $36,250 (all dealerships pay the same)
36 months @ 12k miles/year
$0 down = $500/mo.
$2000 down = $456/mo.

This is based off of a 7.25% tax rate, so over in 02368, it is only 6.25% and should be cheaper per month. I don’t know what the DMV fees look like out there either.

Overall, you can easily get an STI for $500/mo or cheaper if you don’t mind missing out on a couple of minor features. Get some online quotes from dealers in different nearby cities saying you want to lease the car at invoice. You can bring those quotes to your local dealer and see if they will match it too. Hope this helps!

lol. Then buy it.

Also, while the WRX, despite an ancient POS based on a decade old Impreza, does hold its value well, you won’t be profiting off an overpriced WRX lease, these don’t lease well at all.

1 Like

A car is one of the most depreciating assets out there. Probably a bad idea to buy a brand new car to try and turn a profit.

1 Like

It seems like you can’t afford this car. Go buy a Civic. Don’t lease, just buy. I know you want a sti, just seems out of your range at the time.

2 Likes

Easily the worst deal I’ve seen on this car. Finance this car if you’re concerned about it’s depreciation. I don’t think leasing will get you to the ends you’re imagining.

1 Like

Great info, thanks

I can afford it i just dont want to give away my money to the dealer

You’re giving your money to The captive, not the dealer. The residual values are more conservative than real world values. It’s the same reason Honda’s are generally better to finance and buy than lease, unless there’s major incentives to move for a lease.

3 Likes

WRX got all new next gen engine and transmission, etc in 2015, how the hell does that make it ancient? I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.

Yes I do. The WRX is based on the previous generation 2011 Impreza.

I work for a Subaru dealership in colorado. You can easily lease a base STi for maximum $450 a month inclusive of taxes and every other fee with $2000 down. As long as you have tier 1 or 2 credit score i.e above 700 with good credit history.

2 Likes

SGP won’t bring anything magical for WRX, look at ascent, crosstrek and base Impreza, they’re all on SGP and it’s evolutionary not revolutionary, little stiffer and might lose 70lbs, nothing huge is changing

Profiting is not the right word, but I know what he means since I’ve been on Subi boards for a while.

What he means is you lease the WRX for the $300-400 per month. Whatever the “going rate” is. Lets say the risdual in the lease is 60% after 3 years. They then go to buy/lease something else, and the FMV of the car exceeds the residual generally by a few $K

You get nailed on the MF, but get the benefit of the “real” resale value.

So go somewhere else
Limited don’t lease as well as bases. generally leasing isn’t great for teh WRX or STi due to captive financing with high MFs and lower residuals. You can monetize the equity you build in the lease, but are stuck with the high MF. I bought my STi for under Invoice and price wise it worked out well. However, I did have an accident, it had a black mark on the carfax and made reselling/trading in very difficult at the high prices these cars tend to go for.

You can definitively do better, but maybe check out a base STi

Also to those who say get something else instead… there is some validity to that… However, it is a totally different car from most cars in its price bracket, raw and analog… an interesting experience and very few substitutes that do what it does, how it does it.

1 Like