Subaru Outback lease offer

One of the car mags has a long-term Subaru turbo, and they don’t particularly like the engine/trans combo.

I really wanted to hate the CX5 when I test drove it with my friend but the Turbo was nice (I thought for not much more an RDX Advance was a better option but she decided against it). I think the trunk space is decent in the CX5 but I am out of the stroller stage so that is not an issue. The backseat in general is kind of irrelevant to me as long as there is one and there are 5 seatbelts but my friend has kids who are well over 6’ and he is comfortable in the back of the CX5. It did look like there was plenty of room.

I am mentally debating between the Outback/Legacy/Forester. I do not need an SUV just an alternative to my Pilot (which I don’t mind but do not love because it really is driving a car from 2017 that was built in 2021 and it feels like a minivan but without the doors, Highlander was much preferred but less roomy and simply not available when I needed it last summer). If rear seat space/SUV not an issue any reason not to look at one of the others which are slightly cheaper than the Outback? I thought the 2018 Forester had a similar ride to the then Outback

Keeping the Pilot for another few years so trunk space not an issue. In terms of engine speed, where we live the onramps for highways are very short so the car does need to accelerate well but with good control

What does that actually mean (since a Pilot is an SUV)?

If you don’t need the space but need more power, IMO it’s a no-brainer to go with a higher trim of a smaller car with a quicker motor.

Kia Soul 1.6T and other turbo charged cars

Or

PHEV like a Crosstrek or Ioniq to use a burst of instant electric torque to get you up to speed on those short on-ramps before cruising on the freeway

1 Like

It seems like SUV is the catch all word for worst deals in the current market. If you can make a sedan work why not look at something like an S60 loaner?

1 Like

A pilot is a huge 7 or 8 seater that guzzles gas and is a disguised minivan. I need a mid size 5 seater, SUV or sedan

@max_g for some reason I have a bais against anything smaller than the Forester from a safety perspective (probably a myth but not something I can shake), at 182 inches I am a little hesitant about that. I am not ready to deal with a PHEV, this car may have to do longer trips on occasion (250 to 500 miles in a day). Also, I have no place to plug it in without doing major electrical upgrades. Good suggestion on the Crosstrek, given gas prices I do not understand why Subaru does not have more hybrid options.

I was asking more about the Turbo because I had seen a review that said the regular engine on the Outback was lackluster. Given the poster actually had one, I wanted to get their perspective. I do not need something crazy powerful. Also I am looking at the limited trim, a smooth ride and features are important to me.

@carmac55 Completely agree and it has been that way for a long time. I can make do with anything AWD. However, I leased a Volvo about 20 years ago and had a lemon. Never again (although for the right price…) I am ok with the Subaru options until I go test drive them (assuming they have cars to even do that in). I am not willing to pay $450 lease per a month or more for a car with an MSRP of under $40K so I would probably buy/finance. Makes it easier anyway since with the current delivery times you have no idea what the programs will be when they arrive. When I priced the Limited on the Subaru web site and then got the invoice on Costco it looked like I could be in the mid 30s, with the regular engine. A few months ago I might have looked at the Acura TLX AWD, I think with conquest I could have bought it for about $42 but I think those deals are gone. Also, there is a big difference for me between $36 and 42

There’s also Kia Niro, RAV4 Prime, Ford Escape and other PHEVs that are larger than a Crosstrek.

PHEVs are just hybrids that can be plugged in but don’t need to be. You can drive them like regular hybrids which is to say you can drive them like regular gasoline-powered vehicles: You fill up on gas at a gas station when you’re low on gas, and a few minutes later you’re good to go.

Interesting. I will lease but not buy American so Ford is out (we have an old Ford, not repeating that). Really looking to spend in the mid 30s or less if I am buying. Low 300s if I am leasing (I know not in this market which is why I think I will reluctantly buy). The reason that Subaru appeals is mostly price, unless the market gets much better by August, this seems like a relative bargain to be able to get invoice on anything. Not sure the RAV4 Prime is doable but I like it. Is there any inventory?

Thank you for explaining about PHEVs, I thought they needed to be plugged in

In which dimension? It’s about 5 inches shorter which I assume makes it a no-go for the OP.

RAV4 and Ford Escape (which I consider to be an “ideal” length) are ~182 in, which apparently puts it in the OP’s grey zone.

My bad, must have been thinking of the Sorento

Sorento and Santa Fe might work for the OP. Off the top of my head, there are not a lot of truly modern SUVs that in the size and price range the OP prefers.

I really liked (and would be driving if my offers were accepted) the Sorento PHEV.

If one isn’t in a hurry and doesn’t need something quite that big, the new Sportage looks really nice too. As with any Kia right now, your best bet is going to be finding a dealer you can order at msrp from.

I’ve got my voucher from ASPCA, sent it over to dealer will see how it goes.
But on voucher itself it’s telling invoice price minus 2% not bad

2 Likes

So no STI and no Solterras (EV)

darn

Good Luck, let us know how it goes, I am about 3 months behind so thinking of doing the base membership and then adding to it if I still need it in a few months. I assume you called the dealer and they agreed to honor it?

That the deal that dealer offered me with VIP program . MF still high it’s .0018 and they are not willing to negotiate on it asked two dealers… But still think will get this deal because in that crazy market it looks like a decent deal. So I think it well worth to donate for ASCPA and get discount on the car. Thank You all for response and let me know what you think if it’s a good deal.Good luck with your research!

You still can place an order on them but not in stock. But if you can get it for invoice price minus 2% sounds good

So $0 and about $8 more? good deal.
I guess the MF markup is all you can expect when you deal direct.

Specifically says STI and Solterra don’t work with this cert.

Sale rep told me that you still can order them with special deal. But it just his words so not sure. I don’t think that broker will give you any discounts because of VIP program so you need to deal with dealer directly.

Brokers aren’t dealers, they know some.
Can’t hurt to ask and doesn’t cost you anything but time.

1 Like