Subaru Outback lease offer

Got that offer from local dealer. Can somebody tell me if it’s a good deal or not?
Thanks

Have you done a search for other recent deals on the car or looked at what brokers are offering?

I checked couple dealers they don’t have Subaru in stock need to order. I checked residual and MF looks like this dealer pretty fair on it. So I assume it is decent deal. Just want to know if somebody know any better…

In 6 years of the same payments you’d own this Outback in full.

A 6yr old Outback with 60k miles is worth at least $15,000 in normal times, even more if used car values remain above normal.

So why would you start on a path to flushing $15,000+ down the toilet?

5 Likes

Effective of $580. It’s a lot of money for a Subaru but to each their own. Tell them to come down on the MF or like above you’d be better off buying it for similar payment.

2 Likes

Thank You guys. Appreciate your advice.

1 Like

Got no time to Kill?, get the ASCAP discount ($500 donation though). then find a dealer willing to give it to you at supplier. If you have time to kill the $100 donation takes effect after 6 months.

2 Likes

This. Call every dealer until you find one that will accept the voucher. Order your car, get it in writing that they’ll take the voucher and when the car is almost there give them the voucher details … VIP voucher has to be used within 45 days of issue or something. I just did this with a different model Subaru and basically paid invoice price in this current terrible market. I got shot down by the first 2-3 dealers then found one that would do it. My understanding is that they don’t really care since they get reimbursed by Subaru.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the Subaru VIP Program lead. I am actually right between now and 6 months and while I am indifferent to what I get from Honda, Toyota, Subaru, SO really thinks they want a Subaru. If I can get it at invoice in this market I will take it. When I looked up specifics, I found this article
https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/how-it-works-subaru-vip-pricing-discount

" Subaru dealers in the states of CT, MA, ME, NJ, NY, RI, and VT also fall under a separate network of distribution and set their own prices compared to Subaru dealers in other parts of the U.S

What exactly does this mean? I am in NY. I also have relatives in south Florida who claim since AWD is not popular Subarus are cheaper there. While I would normally lease, I am willing to finance since I am not paying $450 a month for a car that retails for $37

Yes that is my hesitation. I need a car anytime between now and by fall although if I cannot get it by April then I really would prefer to have it in late August (do not need a car over the summer as we will have one available from a relative who goes away). I could pay the PHS $50 now and wait but I only have 7 months and the order time is what now on a 5 seater? Any chance it will get better by August?! I know no crystal balls! I personally do not care if I get a Subaru/Toyota or Honda, I need a family size 5 seater and do not want anything bigger

I would hate to pay $500 to PHS or ASPCA and then have to find a dealer that will take it. On a different site someone reported that they ordered a Subaru with VIP and then when it came in it was sold to someone willing to pay over MSRP (no idea if it was true, was simply doing a little research), that would be even worse. However most people who posted said that they got the deal they signed up to get

The OTHER way, you pay the $100 (Would swear it went up) and wait and find a dealer, the moment you do AND they have the car on the lot, you pay the other $400 and get instant access. Or you wait the 6 months

Thought about that. I would prefer to do ASPCA, as I am not in PA and have no interest in plants, however I could not even find the $100 guardian donation on their site. I found the Founder $500 one no problem! Also PHS is $50 plus 6 months! https://phsonline.org/uploads/attachments/ckm5959033lrujsrao1kiofcr-2021-updated-membership-grid-web.pdf or $500 immediately I thought about doing the $50 now and then switching to ASPCA if I have to do $500 as $50 is not a bad amount to lose/donate and I have some relatives in PA who might want to go to a flower show

I just donated to ASPCA and waiting for voucher, they told me it will take up two 3 b days to get it. Also before that as was recommended I contacted 5 dealerships and 3 agrees to give me VIP if have a voucher. Will keep you posted how it goes :wink:. I don’t mind to donate for good cause.

1 Like

I’ve commented a few times on Subaru’s VIP in the past - I swear I don’t just like Subaru’s. Once you are VIP you have the standing for a while. If you pay now and car is delivered 120 days from now Subaru will issue you an updated note saying its active so no concern around timing the VIP for within 45 days of delivery of the vehicle. With regards to dealers, in Maryland there are a number of dealers that were honoring the program when we did a search in November. I did not have VIP finalized before I began inquiring but simply asked them to confirm they were honoring it. You MUST do this before you discuss pricing or the VIP will be invalid. All you do is call the dealer say you have VIP through ASPCA and will send them documentation. I would imagine most dealers in my area would have no issue with VIP if you are doing a factory order. That being said, I cannot imagine many dealers in this market honoring that pricing on a in-stock unit.

Somewhat related question, have some people I can stay with in Florida although I am in the Northeast. They claim Subarus do not sell well there because of the AWD. I am willing to do a promo 1.9 finance (would be willing to lease but not at $450 plus for an Outback). Is it worth it to call the dealers in Miami? I checked one dealer and they claim to have 42 cars total so not much of a difference I can see. Also the article quoted above claims that there is different pricing in the Northeast, anyone know about this?

What does that mean?

@carmac55 I think the issue for me is that based on what I have read, I need to be VIP before I order the car, the only way to do that by May (assuming I need it in August) is to pay $500. I am not 100% sold on a Subaru either but I did test drive some in 2018 and was surprised at how much I liked them, was shopping with my parents so was not for me and they kept their old car in the end. I will try to test drive again before making a final decision. Never got a Subaru before this because in regular times I always felt I could get a better lease deal at Toyota/Honda/Nissan as they were higher volume and had a captive financing arm although back in 2018 my parents were offered nice deals on the soon to be updated Outback and the Forester. Was surprised that back then I liked the Forester better, thought the ride was smoother but that was preupdate

You don’t need VIP before you order the car. Tell the dealer you will provide the VIP voucher at the time the vehicle gets delivered as long as they tell you in writing that they will honor the VIP pricing for said voucher.

1. Order the car with a refundable deposit
  2. Your dealer should update you or you can check online to see when the window sticker gets created. At that point, the vehicle has cleared the port in the US and is on it’s way to the dealer, usually 2 weeks. Pay the membership to the ASPCA, in 3 or 4 days get your voucher and send it to the dealer.

If things don’t work out, worst case is you gave some money to charity, no big deal.

1 Like

It worked out super-well for me. The first two dealers said no, and the third agreed (I had done business with that dealer before). You get to donate to charity, get a car at a good price, dealer gets kickback money from Subaru from participating in the program, everyone wins.

2 Likes

The Outback ended up being for my wife and she had very different needs than me - hence why we have the 2.5L engine and not the turbo. It is a fantastic car for the price, extremely safe, very smooth and comfortable, and big without feeling bulky because its not terribly wide. The way I see this market is the only “reasonable” prices on SUV’s seem to be on Mazda’s and Jeep Grand Cherokee’s when it comes to leasing these days (I am sure there are a couple exceptions but these two brands have been relatively consistent). With that being the case, any discount off MSRP these days is a win. For example, we got an Outback Touring (and financed it) Our OTD price was about $39K including tax/title/fees with the VIP discount. In essence, the VIP saved me the cost of my governmental fees and a month or so of payments. This was a good deal to me as I knew the resale value of the car would hold up even after the crazy used car pricing subsides - no I don’t mean I will sell it for what I bought it for in a few years but the depreciation will likely be substantially less than other makes in the same price category. Just a taste of my logic. BTW - $500 donation will simply take your discount off MSRP from 8-9% to 7% or so. That’s still a decent amount in this market and, most importantly, the market may get a little better by August.

Is Mazda really still reasonable? I would consider that instead what is the story there in terms of a deal? I helped a friend get a CX5 Signature Reserve in a premium color in November. She is paying just under 500 plus tax and DMV (I think bank was included). I think the cap cost was just under MSRP, I forget the details now. It would have been a decent deal for the times if she had financed but she refused to do that, retail is under $39K I think. The car is nice, really loaded with the outside front camera. She did not get the grand touring because she felt a lag that the turbo did not have (we also looked at a bunch of Acuras, Alfa Romeo Guilia, a Lexus and I forget what else). She is difficult to buy with because she has a number in mind and once that number is hit she is willing to sign without looking at other aspects of the deal. If that number is not hit, but the deal overall is better she will not take it. Classic shopping the payment.

My SO hates Mazdas based on the first car they owned which was a Mazda and Loves the idea of a Subaru (without ever having owned or driven one!) Not from the drivers anyway, could not tell one car from another without an insignia

I was going to ask about the Turbo Subaru, based on what I read there is a lag. I am not used to driving super high end but I am used to driving bigger SUVs (Highlander, Pilot). If I finance I plan on keeping this car assuming it does not give us any problems. Do I need the XT version?

I drive an MDX which is the same engine as the current Pilot the outback feels significantly narrower when driving and is definitely missing some power, but it handles bumps in the road much better. The 2.5L Subaru is slow by 2020 standards and above average by 2010 standards haha. But it get’s up to speed with no issues and can handle the 20mph-40mph burst very well. I didnt actually drive the turbo but have heard the CVT and Turbo Engine have some communication challenges and sometimes theres awkward delays. That being said, they are clocking some of the Outbacks with the turbo in under 6 seconds to 60 which is quick. The Outback is a bigger car than the CX-5 and it feels that way. We have an infant and the ease of getting the carseat into the car and being able to sit relatively far back in the passenger seat is valuable. The CX-5 is generally a better driving experience but the Turbo may not be quicker than the Subaru. Additionally, the CX-5 can be tight in trunk space and rear seat room relative to competitors.

With regards to leases, I’d have to check the most recent broker numbers but assuming for month-to-month fluctuations I still have to imagine they are leasing better than most of their competitors.