Sub-400 per month lease with zero down

Hi hackrs. Thanks in advance for all your help. My mother-in-law recently totaled her car and needs a new car. She is looking for some thing under $400 a month tax in in south Florida (land of high fees). She was driving a BMW X2 from the lease deals that were going on in early 2019 (the good old days!) Ideally, she’d like another small SUV but price is more important. I think Altima SR may be do-able at this price point. Any other suggestions I am not think of? She’s picky so please don’t suggest buying a beater! :joy: Thanks again.

1 Like

Tacomas are in the 3s

2s actually. Prob be like 285 with Florida tax tags fees

4 Likes

Pathfinder or Jeep GC.

4 Likes

Has she test driven an Altima? I had one as a rental and was shocked at how bad rear visibility was (in the rear-view mirror).

3 Likes

Everyone else covered the list of what’s hackable at the moment. I hope everyone involved walked away without any injuries. The rest is replaceable plastic and metal.

3 Likes

I’ve had a couple as rentals as well, but I don’t recall any visibility being particularly bad… I’m curious to sit in another one now. :thinking:

FWIW I don’t foresee most mother-in-laws being willing to drive a pickup, particularly one who is coming from a bmw. I would recommend looking at the Pathfinder, especially for the money. Nissan did a decent job with the redesign.

1 Like

Thank you all for your support. Pathfinder sounds like a good option. I saw good leases on the Muranos but the higher MSRP made them unattainable.

Thank you. Yes, amazingly she was no longer in the car when it was hit. Don’t ask! SMH

2 Likes

You’re prob just cross-eyed. Certainly not the case.

OP, if your mom is coming from an X2, a good fit would prob be a Rogue. While the Altimas, Rogues, Frontiers and Pathfinders are all leasing “well” right now, the Pathfinder might be alittle “too much” car for her. It’s pretty big.

In terms of cost, Nissan is def the way to go .

Thank you. Yes I will look into that as well and I agree as far as size is concerned. Furthermore, the Pathfinder leases are great but with the high fees in this state and only spread out over 18 months, I think that’s going to be too expensive as well. They really don’t want to come out of pocket anything but first and tags.

Well if you REALLY don’t want a Taco, then the Altima SV is looking at just shy of $400 with $0 OTD. (+ Fee)
There are at least 3 guys here pushing that and you might be able to get it on your own, but good luck as I hate waiting 4+ hours in dealerships.

PS : It’s for your Mother In Law…is she mean? If so, the Taco is perfect for her.

1 Like

LOL! She’s okay, thanks. I cant see her in a pickup. I am becoming more and more inclined to use a broker. I never have but as I get older, I have less of a tolerance for the dealership BS. It used to amuse me but now I’m over it.

1 Like

I’ve used a broker 2 times.
And I decided on the 3rd to not use a broker and sat at the dealership listen to their LIES for 5 hours

• Bait and switch, they used the wrong Vin on an identical car and raised the payments
  • Oh the old it’s only $50 month more
  • Oh the GPS is already installed, we need a hour to remove
  • At delivery which was dark, the guy goes, oh yah I need to remove the GPS (Reaches under the dash), oh dang they didn’t install one.

So back to using a broker for me. The fee was worth it vs the stress of trying to buy a car myself.

2 Likes

There seem to be some misconceptions around what leasing is and who benefits from leasing.

The people who benefited most from leasing were those who were going to drive BMWs, Mercedes, etc anyway and found leasing as a way to lower their TCO (total cost of ownership).

They could do so because they had the cash to put down MSD, had loyalty from prior ownership, or had corp/fleet from working at a select list of companies, knew about OL codes and had bought CCA membership, etc etc.

But those days are mostly gone. Now more than ever it’s crucial to look at TCO over a longer lifecycle. The more one-time costs you have, the more expensive it becomes to transact more often. One-time costs can include: doc fees, other dealer fees, broker fees, shipping, taxes, etc etc.

4 Likes

It may not be the case for you, if/when you’ve driven the car. But, after 29 yrs of driving, I think I know when I don’t think there’s good rearview visibility in a car. But thanks for trying to explain my own visual acuity to me?

I have no idea what the OP’s mom would think, which is why I suggested she drive it for herself. She may think it’s just fine.

You can extend up to 6 months with NMAC.

:rofl:

1 Like

The thing is when you extend a lease, they keep your payment the same. So by extending, you just continue to pay for those fees.

1 Like

Forgot to Mention that if your broker is shipping you the car, you might not have to pay the notorious FL ‘Doc’ Fee which is probably more than Shipping + Broker Fee

2 Likes