SpaceX’s Starlink Broadband

Here goes a new experiment for us:

One of our homes is totally unreachable by cable/fiber/copper line. Here’s hoping this is the true game-changer it has the potential to be.

4 Likes

So what’s the upfront costs?

500 upfront for equipment.

99/month for service.

all you need now is satellite electricity!

That’s covered! We ran ~45 miles of buried transmission wire, backed up with 3000 gallon propane tank. Hardest project I’ve ever been involved in. To have a 3000 tank one of us had to apply to be a certified propane handler.

1 Like

8 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

What area btw?

Upstate NY mountains.

Probably wants Biden to foot the cost

2 Likes

Pentagon.

He spoke out after CNN reported that SpaceX had sent a letter to the Pentagon last month asking the US Department of Defence to start picking up the tab for Starlink in Ukraine - estimating the annual cost to be $400million.

OK, it’s fine to bill the government for it, they are paying for lots of other things.

2 Likes

Hate speech on Twitter? Can’t be!

2 Likes

Good thing Elon buying twitter
To ban his ass first thing :joy::joy:

1 Like

I know this is old but NY has mountains? :joy::joy:

1 Like

Since I am the OP I guess I’ll update that Starlink has been really great for us. We have the performance upgraded dish, and it performs very well in our challenging microclimate where we love. It’s not cheap but it works as promised and is continually improving.

This Elon/Russia stuff is very, very depressing, however.

Not to me, it’s not a case of he’s being an ass to Ukraine as much as he wants to milk the Government.

Now if / when he cuts all access off and they suffer…ok now that’s bad.

1 Like

Yes that’s exactly right. Elon is not in tech. He is a government contractor.

To be fair to Elon, if I was in his position and I saw billions being thrown around like the US and Ukraine were at the strip club, why wouldn’t I want one of them to start paying me for this service I’m providing?

6 Likes