Sold one to VROOM!

I got a call from a real US based person. they’ve all been polite, friendly, and prompt. It’s the lease buyouts that cause the delays from my knowledge.

Try this #, lorraines helped me.

1 800 311-6788;7538

2 Likes

Any updates? Has Volvo posted payment to your account?

I just had my XC90 picked up 2 days ago and am now seeing your posts. My question is how are we, as the lessee, supposed to know that Volvo won’t accept a 3rd party sale? Nowhere in my lease contract, nor on the VCFS website does it say that this is not allowed. There is some language on the payoff quote form that says payment from a 3rd party may be dishonored and you would still be responsible for the payments. To me, that means they are talking about a bounced check.

I am pretty sure they keep it vague on purpose so they can use it to their advantage at any given point.

I initiated the buyout day of my lease ending since I was still shopping around offers from carvana, carmax, and autonation. All I had to do was call TFS and tell them I want to extend my lease, I paid a late fee of about $25 since I was expecting to be rid of the car by then but didn’t. TFS obliged and extended it for 6 months but said it’s pretty much month to month at that point if I wanted to turn it in. Since the whole transaction with vroom lasted over a month, I ended up making another payment to toyota for the lease. Much to my surprise, I received a check for that month back from toyota a couple days ago.

Interesting to see that some people are still having trouble getting quick action from VROOM. It took them a while to prepare my contract, but that was really the only long part. I airways posted most of my timeline, but here is the conclusion.

1/18(MLK day)-FedEx delivers my power of attorney to their office
1/19-They acknowledge receipt of all docs and will initiate pickup
1/20-Inform me that pickup carrier has been assigned and will be contacting me

That was a Wednesday. I heard nothing until Sunday, at which point the driver tells me he’s on his way and will arrive between 9 and 10 on Monday morning. I expected to hear something and set a day prior to him coming, but I blame the carrier for that. I was going to be home so I quickly got the car ready.

Monday morning the guy shows up at 9:24. He quickly looked over the car, took photos, had me sign on his phone, and said I’d get the bill of landing via email. He went down the road with the car to where he parked his truck and the email came in at 9:31. I went to get a coffee and then sent it to VROOM at 9:57. They acknowledged receipt at 10:23 and said they would initiate payment. Tuesday morning I got a FedEx tracking number, and Wednesday the check was delivered to HMF.

So, assuming the amount on the check is correct and it clears, I’m all done. Overall, it wasn’t a bad process. Selling to CarMax is definitely smoother, and these guys definitely can improve their process. But, they offered me thousands more than anyone else, so it was definitely worth it.

I am/was in the process of selling a leased Volvo to a third party (Vroom, Carvana, etc), so I called VFS on Jan 26, 2021 and the VFS rep I spoke to said that effective a week prior they suspended the option for lessees to sell their vehicles to third parties. She said this happened with zero notice.

Can anyone else corroborate this?

This could be why @Fletchlea is having this trouble with Vroom, when in reality, it is an issue with VFS not giving up the title to Vroom / not allowing the third party pay-off.

I ran into the same issue. VCFS kept referencing the quote must be from a system called Volvo 360 at the dealership. The dealership really doesn’t know anything about this new policy. It is frustrating because I have a 3k over buyout offer that is pretty much off the table now due to VCFS’s new policy.

Could you tell me what region of the country you are in? I pretty much have the same timeline as you but they have not picked up my car yet (VROOM selected RPM as car carrier). I am in Northern CA

I’m in the Northeast. The carrier was Acertus, who farmed it out to LCC Car Transport, Inc. out of MA and they were bringing it to Manheim Orlando.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it

My question is what is the remedy for this? Vroom already has my vehicle. If VCFS won’t let Vroom pay it off, will Vroom expect me to buy it out, wait for the title and then send to them? What about sales tax, etc.?

Is there any fine print in your signed agreement with Vroom that addresses this type of situation?

No great update yet. Check was delivered. Volvo acknowledged what I have told them by voice and secure message on Volvo Financial that check was delivered but can’t confirm anything. I contacted them many times during this ordeal and they never mentioned an issue with selling to vroom. Vroom just says check was sent (which was a miracle anyway!). I’ll update as soon as I see something happen. Definitely a crappy experience!!

That’s basically what Vroom was trying to tell me was the holdup (after 30 minutes of the great piano concerto we’ve all grown to hate played). Up to Volvo to accept now. I’ll post back when the do (i hope!).

Hey Fletchlea,

So Vroom didn’t send the check to Volvo for 11 days from the time the car was picked and their excuse was because Volvo wouldn’t accept third party payoff? Where did Vroom get this information? Did they contact Volvo directly? This doesn’t make sense.

Wouldn’t this essentially be some type of price-fixing or market manipulation scheme by VCFS? I wonder if Volvo’s practice is legal?

I think it is legal, since Volvo owns the car, and can dictate how it is sold. The standard lease agreement usually gives the lessee the right to buy the car. The agreement generally does not give anyone else the right to buy the car. Just as Mercedes has the legal right to no longer allow transfers, I believe Volvo has the legal right to no longer allow third party buyouts. As a practical matter, they may be losing a lot of money by not getting the cars back to resell. Plus, they may have insurance that covers losses on resales. I recall reading that some manufacturers carry such insurance.

1 Like

Got it and I don’t disagree with you. I guess it’s just a real caveat emptor situation regarding VCFS leases. If this is true there really isn’t any way to get out of a Volvo lease, you can’t swap or transfer it, you can’t have it bought out. In my specific case I’m coming to maturity on my XC60 and was hoping to re-lease or purchase an XC40 recharge -after reading recent reviews - the XC40r is a really disappointing EV and I’m no longer interested in pursuing it. It’s frustrating my XC60 is going to just sit in the garage for 6 month, when a month ago people were able to sell them out to Carvana, Vroom, etc. Yes I am totally sour grapes about this situation. :slight_smile:

Just read my lease
[ vroom took it at the end of 2020, they lost ~5000 on it as it didnt sell and went thru Manheim :slight_smile: ]
Lease language only mentions ‘you’ in a prior to lease end sale

That’s exactly what they said. Only it took 3 phone calls and a bunch of transfers to get this “answer”. They final thing they said was that they were working with Volvo to resolve. When I called Volvo they had no clue but did know that there has been a change but thought people would be grandfathered in since I had already sold the car. At this point all I know is that a check was delivered and I’m trying to get Volvo to acknowledge receipt and apply it…

Update 2.1.2021 - Volvo has acknowledged the check but says it is short $540 and they have been trying to get in touch with vroom (good luck with that!) to resolve. I’m sure the difference is because the payoff expired because vroom took so long to do everything. Not sure how this gets resolved without more of me sitting on hold with vroom…