Sold one to DRIVEWAY.COM

Does that mean they can buy my Infiniti lease? I think they own a few Infiniti dealers.

What were the terms and conditions of the offer?

Conditions are vague.

That’s what I figured. Probably conditional on inspection.

No way to know if the delay was legitimate, but they may be backlogged (crazy market) and short staffed (as with many businesses right now).

My experience with DRIVEWAY and MONTCLAIR ACURA in VERONA, NJ

After getting a decent offer from them for my RAV4 (not the highest by a few thousand, but I need a replacement car), I located a difficult to find Toyota across the country on their website and spoke to a representative. The rep. said it was available, and he would provide lease info. In the meantime, I located other (closer) cars that their website said were available. After providing them to the rep. I was informed that they had already been sold. I switched gears and found an Acura that was nearby. I was told it was available, to fill out a financing application online, which I did, resulting in a hard inquiry. Within a minute, it provided a monthly payment, and approval from Acura Financial. Receive email from the dealer (Montclair Acura in Verona) saying they received paperwork and to call them. An Internet Sale Rep. from the dealership called me first thing next morning. I explained that I am working through Driveway, wanted to make sure the car would not be sold, asked if they needed more info. The “Internet Sales Rep.” said she didn’t know anything about Driveway and was quite rude. I then spoke to finance. The person had not received my info. and also didn’t know anything about Driveway. He said if he got my paperwork he would call me, although when i asked if there were others in his department, he said yes there are several others, so that didn’t really mean much. He also said the car would not be sold because “there’s nobody in the showroom now” (at 9 am). I called back and left a message for the Sales Manager. No reply. I later get a text from my Driveway rep. saying someone who I never spoke to at the dealership called and said I would be doing the deal directly with them. I explained that I never said that (or even spoke to that person) and that the whole point of the deal was to trade in my current lease and get a new car. He then said he would get lease details. Several hours later, he sends the Lease Order form. It has my trade in at $5,000 less than Driveway offered, and it is loaded with 4 useless items for a total of $1,545. There is also no money factor listed. I tell Driveway and he has his manager get on the phone with them. A second Lease Order was then provided. This one contained the correct trade in value, but increased the due at signing by $5,000, so the exact same price. It also still had 2 of the 4 add-ons. One was $299 for “nitro bronze” and the other was $149. for wheel locks. I told the Driveway rep. that they although the trade in value was corrected, they simply added $5,000 to the due at signing. The Driveway rep. said the add-ons were “already installed” and couldn’t be removed. I told him “nitro” was basically inflating the tires and he said yes, but it also includes a tire replacement package (not something that had in fact been “installed”, but a service to be provided in the future) which I didn’t want.

I told the Driveway rep. this was a classic Bait and Switch and the dealer were clearly screwing around. He replied that he doesn’t make the leases and has no control over the dealers.

2 Likes

Well I’ll say they have the 2nd highest quote next to CarBuyer USA, which was overshot by $1500 anyways. The reviews here are not encouraging though.

I’ve sold my cars to vroom and carvana before and decided to try out driveway because they offered the highest and this is the first time I actually got the money before they picked up the vehicle which was nice. Driveway’s strength is that they are pretty good with timing and communication. Although they do everything through text and phone calls which were kinda weird but at least they respond to you quickly compared to vroom and carvana. Got my money yesterday and now waiting for pickup. Good experience so far.

Currently in the process of selling to driveway. Sent over documents and now waiting to hear back. I was assured that the original offer was the final offer. We’ll see.

Very nice, did you have an in person inspection or photo inspection?

I did a photo inspection. Was just contacted by another person this morning that said they are going to UPS me documents.

I started the process mid-day Saturday 8 January. I have a truck that i still owe $18,000 on and all local dilerships were offering, at most, $24,000. I found Driveway and they were offering almost $32,000! So I found a vehicle I liked and applied for financing through their site. I received multiple offers within minutes. I then chose the financing option I liked best and 15 minutes later Byron from driveway contacted through phone call. He asked that I send over a photo of drivers license and insurance. Once that was done we communicted via text. He told me he was sending all the items over to his manager and once they finalized all the numbers he would get back with me. Minutes later I received a text with a link to a site to take 13 photos of my trade in. So instead of someone coming out i just had to follow the steps and take the photos. Super easy and quick. Once they verified the trade in through the photos the last thing I had to do was pay the 500 deposit to secure the dropoff of the vehicle. After that it was around 630pm and I was informed that they were trying to contact the dealership to ensure the vehicle I wanted was taken off the lot and they recieved all the paperwork. Around 7pm i received a text from Byron that the dealership hadnt responded and were probably closed. Byron informed that, while he would be off Monday, someone from his team would contact me to inform me they had spoken with the dealership. Monday comes and no word from Driveway, so I send them a message Around 11am. They immediately answered and informed me that they would contact me shortly. Around 130 they the dealership called me and asked for updated insurance to reflect the new vehicle I was getting. I provided this and he sent over the contrsct with the terms and loan info to sign digitally. Once i did this he informed me that Tuesday morning they would overnight the title and other paperwork, DMV info. This morning, Tuesday 11 January, the dealership contacted me and said they sent the paperwork. So now I’m waiting and should receive the paperwork tomorrow morning. Driveway also contacted me and said that they are preparing to ship the vehicle once the dealership receives my signed paperwork and will contact me with delivery info.

Anyone sold to Driveway.com? It seems to be tied to a Lithia JDR dealer, as it asked me to go there to get inspected for the value they gave me. $1k higher than Carmax right now, which I felt was low.

How did the end result go? Did they follow through with the price they gave?

Yeah, original offer was genuine!

Received offer 1/6
Emailed registration docs 1/6
Photo inspection 1/8
Paperwork mailed to me 1/18
Mailed paperwork back 1/18
Money deposited 1/23
Picked up 1/29

It’s a bit of a long process, but no problems.

1 Like

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4XE. Driveway gave the most money. I was skeptical, but I would do it again after this experience. Everything is done via text and a website to submit photos. After the inspection it took a while to get the paperwork. But, they sent it to me by the date they gave. After they get the paperwork they deposit money in your account via ACH. Then you text them after the money has cleared and they set up pick up.

Received offer 1/19
Texted registration docs 1/21
Photo inspection 1/22
Paperwork mailed to me 2/1
Mailed paperwork back 2/1
Money deposited 2/4
Vehicle picked up 2/8

They seem to be higher on my Mercedes than anyone else as well.

It’s due for some big ticket service items pretty soon so debating whether I should take the driveway offer or pay to fix and chug along for now.

Hmm…

Anyone know if they can purchase leases that have restricted 3rd party buyouts?
Edit: Just spoke to them they cannot buyout any restricted leases.

Literally just got off the phone with them too and they said they can’t buyout my Mercedes’ lease. They have a Mercedes’ lithia dealership so she’s looking into that.

I am in the process of selling my Genesis. They had the highest offer. We called Genesis Finance together and the customer service agent said as long as I am ok they dont have a problem with third party lease buyouts. Interestingly, they have initiated ACH to my bank for the difference after payoff and they said they will schedule pickup after I get the money in my bank. is that how it has been for everybody?