Sold one to CARVANA!

Thank you @02cic i am so glad leasehackr is here to keep my mind off things and i can chase unicorns. I just wished my dad had consulted me prior to leasing the mitsu

Update: Carvana sent Kia Financial the payoff check a couple days after picking up the car and even emailed me the fedex tracking number. Couple days later I confirmed with Kia that the lease was paid off. easy.

1 Like

Hi everyone! Registered here after I found the thread. Thank you so much for all the shared info.

We just got the unfortunate news that Honda Financial will only sell to us and not to any 3rd party. Is there any way to get around this? Paying the sales tax will cancel the deal for me. I’ve read about saving sales tax if we’re selling within 10 days, but does that really work (we’re in SoCal)? Will Honda collect the sales tax first or would I have to do this differently? I’m hesitant as I don’t know how reliable this would work with Carvana.

We are leasing a Civic EX-T (10k miles, white orchid pearl, mint condition) since Dec '17 and would have to pay off around $16.8k. Compared to what I found this is a really good price. Carvana & Co. will give us around $17k+. This would be great for us as we’re looking for a CX-5. If there’s no way around it we might buy the Civic out in a month or two and try to sell it privately. Ideas, thoughts?

Doesn’t CA have some 10-day exemption?

Yes we do: http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub34.pdf

But I’m not sure how reliable this works. I find questions about this, but not a lot about if it actually worked out with Carvana/Vroom etc.

We bought another car cash last summer and it took the dealership months to give us the title. I’m scared of something like this screwing everything up.

Edit2: apparently me asking for a 3rd party quote instead of a dealer quote was the issue. So, nevermind.

Sold my Mazda CX-5 lease today with Carvana. Since I had some negative equity, Carvana requested a cashier’s check for the difference. Quick and easy. Carvana contacted Chase to verify that Chase was in possession of the title. Carvana took care of all the paperwork as well. Same experience as others noted - took the car around the block for a spin to make sure odometer rolled over.

So sorry for your loss, be sure to spend time taking care of yourself and mom.

Are you sure $27k is the payoff? I thought that was closer to MSRP or selling price of the vehicle.

Is the lease only in your dad’s name? If so, can you just walk away from it or is there concern that they will come after his estate? [And does that even matter if it all passes to your mom?]

The lease for unknown reasons is in my brothers name, still trying to untangle all this

I sold my leased '15 Civic to Shift and they paid it off and took care of everything with no issues.

I don’t see how that’s possible I sold my accord to vroom and Honda financial didnt make it complicated, I would call again and speak with someone else more knowledgeable all you need is you account number, pay off , of course vehicle info and the address for them to send the check to

1 Like

Holy smokes,

Just checked Carvana for my 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia with $44k MSRP.

16k miles later They offer $22k(high end of KBB) and my payoff is 29k.

Glad I leased this thing for 2 years. It was $0 due at signing and $360+tax.

I feel bad for anyone who financed this thing and regrets it.

I am loving this car but the 330e deals are tempting, especially since my workplace has so many vacant charging stations.

2 Likes

As far as I know, if you have someone purchase your lease you are not on the hook for the disposition fee or mileage penalties. That only applies on lease turn in.

If carvana, carmax, etc. buys your car, the captive or bank frankly doesn’t care - they got their pay off. Remember the disposition fee is so they can recondition the car to sell it.

Some captives have a purchase fee

Purchase fee or payoff higher than if selling to same brand dealer. Imagining one or the other.

Just wait till you see what the offers are for BMW’s if you want to get rid of it early. :wink:

My $52k BMW wagon with a payoff of like $36k (if I recall correctly, been a while) got an offer from carvana for $25k :laughing: Numbers might not be perfect but it was a $10-11k delta.

1 Like

They offered me 32k on a fully loaded 18’ Q50 RS with less then 10k miles. Guess I’ll be keeping mine.

2 Likes

Check the KBB value for a similar model when you’re leasing. That’ll give you an idea of the demand/trade-in value for the vehicle. You want that to be pretty close to your buyout price for lease if you plan on doing a lease buyout.

E.g. if leasing a 2019 QX60, see what the KBB value is for 2016 45K mile QX60. If it’s close to your buyout value, there’s a good chance you can do a lease buyout and break even. In my case I was looking at over 4K in fees (15K miles+disposition fee) for the return. So even if I had 1,000 in negative equity, it would’ve been worth it. Luckily ended up with +1000.

I got really excited when I read this thread. Went straight to Carvana and got deflated, lol. They offered $30K and some change. I owe $34K. I am waiting for the offer from Vroom now. Shift doesn’t serve my area yet. Dealer offers for trade have ranged from $30K to $33K. Any other places I am missing besides Carmax?

That seems super low!

Right?! It’s fully loaded with the carbon fiber package and metallic paint. Doesn’t seem right on the offer. Would love to get a M3 but I enjoy driving it for now.