Sold one to CARVANA!

WTF! I feel like I just robbed a bank. sold our 2017 Toyota Sienna to Carvana for $27,638 and made $5400!
Original lease was only $14974 plus $1118 out of pocket. It cost me $314 to drive/month over the course of 34 months.

7 Likes

Got three quotes for my 2016 Lexus nx200t:

Carmax 23k
Vroom 25k
Carvana 26.6k

Actually buyout is 22.4 so I’m pleasantly surprised.
When it’s asking for 10 day payoff it’s just asking me for the buyout on my lease contract correct? I’ve already made all of my lease payments as it ends in 9 days.

How long should I expect them to take to review the uploaded documents? Or should I call and ask Lexus for an extension just to be safe?

1 Like

Nevermind. Carvana reviewed the documents pretty quickly. The inspection/pickup date isn’t for another two weeks though. I guess I need to sort out some kind of extension with LFS since my lease technically ends on 8/20? Does that usually mean I gotta pay for another month or is Toyota/Lexus pretty lenient about not dinging you immediately with some fees for late lease returns?

Sold my 18 Crosstrek to Carvana yesterday morning. Took five minutes in person, and they paid me 2K over lease payoff. What a world!

My Subaru Starlink is still active so I am watching it’s journey.

1 Like

I originally got an appraisal from Carvana in early June as my lease on a 2017 GMC Acadia Denali is expiring in October. My payoff for dealers (no sales tax) at the time was $31,800 and offer was $30,300. I didn’t want to have negative equity and could still use the car at the time so I did not accept the offer. Thinking now I have paid two additional lease payments so payoff should be about $31,000, why not re-check. Minimal mileage put on vehicle over the two months as we are already over the 30k allowable. Now offer is $27,400! Nearly $3k less in two months. By comparison Vroom was exactly $29,000 two months ago and now. Must be a local supply/demand thing? Looks like I will be turning in the vehicle to the dealer at lease end! It would be nice to avoid the last two payments, lease end fee and mileage charge though.

Best to call LFS. They have pretty good customer service. Even if the car is picked up before 8/20, it may take a week or two before LFS gets the payoff amount from Carvana. So you might have to pay an additional month to cover the timing.

It does depend on supply and demand in the current market, sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don’t. You can also consider trading in your Denali if you are getting another car, then you don’t have to pay the lease end disposition fee and over mileage. But don’t get hosed by the dealer for trade-in.

Carvana sale success here as well. Paid me 22-2400 over what Dealer trades were looking like at 3 different BMW Dealerships.

Car picked up with no hassle, check in hand at pickup - outstanding loan on my sold vehicle was paid off 7 days after the car was picked up. All smooth on this sale. Good experience.

We already got a replacement vehicle doing something I never thought I would… buying a gently damaged SUV from Copart and fixing it up. Scary! I tried to trade in the Acadia in June when we bought our 2018 Nissan Leaf to save the $2k-ish in sales tax but the dealership was being ridiculous about trade-in offer. Maybe over the next two plus months the demand/market will get better and Carvana will improve their offer. But with the mid-cycle refreshed 2020 Acadia coming out soon… probably not!

Man…the pickups are way backed up in California (at least for my location). When I initially accepted the offer the closest drop-off point was listed as Arizona (lol) or a two week wait.

I was looking at the scheduler again today and now it lists a location 32mi away from me. Apparently they JUST opened a vending station in Westminster, CA. Are they really gonna pay a $60 uber to take me home though or am I gonna need to eat that cost? I’d be fine with it assuming their appraisal stands as being 1-3K higher than others.

I’d arrange for an extension if you can make $4k!

Apparently my appraisal expired. Makes no sense though. I had gotten an online appraisal a week ago. At that time they only had pickup available with the earliest pickup time set for August 26th. Today I noticed that a drop-off location opened in California so I updated my preference to drop-off on August 20th.

A few hours after that I see that my appraisal has expired. Yeah I know the appraisal says 7 days but why are they letting me even schedule a pick-up or drop-off beyond 7 days then? Gonna be fricking annoyed if need to push back my appointment even further :roll_eyes:

edit: jokes on them. their online appraisal quoted be $500 higher.

1 Like

I too think it’s due to the market’s supply and demand. I’ve been tracking the offers since last month.

7/10 @ 29.2k mi 25077
7/21 @ 29.5k mi 25130
8/11 @ 30.0k mi 25548
8/17 @ 30.3k MI 27309

Boggled. Mileage goes up and so does the offer. Last time Vroom offered $2k more than Carvana for my other car I sold…if they can do $2k for this car…then I’d be happy :slight_smile:

Wonder when Carvana will cut off vehicle tracking on the unit I sold them?

1 Like

The appointment must be scheduled within 5 days of approval. Note, it is okay for your appointment date to be scheduled after your appraisal expires.

My appointment was already scheduled. They just had no availability within the 7 day period in which the appraisal was good for. Luckily they keep your scheduled appointment and you don’t lose your spot when having to re-appraise.

I know. Exactly. You can schedule for after the appraisal expires as long as you schedule during the appraisal window. I couldn’t get them out for 2wks and the site said it expired but it hadn’t.

I’m also selling one to Carvana. All the verification steps were approved earlier on today when thereafter I received my link to schedule for a pick up. The earliest pick up available was late afternoon next Monday 8/26 which I snagged.

I monkeyed around with appraisals starting on 8/14 when I received the highest offer which I did not book. Thereafter it took several other appraisals to finally get within $100 closest to their original offer which I jumped on.

I have a very clean and low mileage SUV (turned 48K miles for a 2013 Honda) and their appraisal came $1500 over Vroom; Carmax was a total waste of time. The Carvana offer was good enough for me to not to seek a private party buyer in which case I could’ve potentially done $1000 better but I decided that babysitting the SUV till I get bona fide buyers with enough cash or great credit to borrow, was not worth my time. Carvana is paying very close to topline KBB retail but I’m sure that with an extended warranty they will make a couple of more grands and if so then good for them!

Although my appraisal expires on 8/23 and my pay-off quote is only good through 8/25, Carvana assured me that they will abide by the deal and that they will be paying the excess per diem. I will update if anything adverse or unsavory happens.

YMMV depending on your car but for me…wow that was a completely painless process. Basically the same as Carmax except they offered me way more money.

During the inspection it seemed like they didn’t even check the exterior as they literally just sat on the drivers side, started the engine, read the odometer, and took some notes on an iPad, opened the trunk and that’s it.

Went in the office and they already had a check printed out for me. Signed a few documents releasing the car to them. They ordered me up an Uber and I was on my way home. The only hiccup was not related to Carvana…Uber ride took over two hours due to the big rig that overturned on the 405 this morning.

The quote they gave me over the web did not change after the “inspection”. Still seemed weird that they wouldn’t at least drive it around the parking lot though. lol