Sold one to CarMax

Similar experience for me - no games.

1 Like

Has anyone seen how long it takes them to payoff the financing company after you sell? I keep checking and my account is still showing the same balance a week later.

When I spoke to Chrysler capital, they said carmax sends a check snail mail and it usually takes 2-3 weeks. Iā€™m at about 2 weeks and it looks like my account is still ā€œopenā€

Annoying since my next payment draws next week.

Sold my car in the evening of 3/22 and Chrysler Capital shows the transaction effective date of 3/25 and posted on 3/26. I show no balance online.

2 Likes

My VCFS account still shows my payoff amountā€¦ It has been exactly 7 days since CarMax wrote their check and sent it off via snail mail. The CarMax rep said it could take up to 2 - 3 weeks for VCFS to credit the account. Will provide any updates.

1 Like

My Honda Financials account was paid off within 7 days

Region: SoCal
Data Point: Out of the big four (Carvana,Vroom,Shift and Carmax), Carmax offered the lowest price for my 2021 Chevy Camaro LT1. $29,000 compared to $36,000 from Vroom.

1 Like

Region: Oklahoma
2010 Toyota Prius III, 106K miles

givemethevin: 4500
Vroom: 4700, raised to 4950 by email the next day
Carvana: 5200
Carmax: 6500

So I sold to Carmax. The mechanical inspection was about 25 minutes to get the offer. The next day, it took about 30 minutes for paperwork.

1 Like

Next time give the CarMax quote to GMTV they usually beat it.

I mentioned the Carmax offer on the phone with GMTV, and the buyer was surprised at how high it was. GMTV did send a slightly higher offer, but thereā€™s extra hassle. Carmax is down the road and I got a bank draft tonight. Thereā€™s no additional scheduled meeting, no additional inspection, no buyer and tow truck at the house through a construction zone. Time has value too.

2 Likes

Did they pay you $100? They are supposed to pay you for the option of trying to beat CarMax if they arenā€™t able to (unless you are saying they did beat it but you went for the easy process, which makes sense). I happen to have a local drop point by me so it is the same as CarMax in that regard.

The payment went through yesterday, so just over a week from the sale. My account is now closed.

2 Likes

was just offered $1700 over payoff on CRV, used for 7 months which comes out to 79/mo effectively. Givemethevin might beat it with the added benefit of not having to drive 50 minutes to Carmax.

Edit- Now carmax is at $1900 over lol, $50/mo effective. Lets see if GMTV can beat it or if carmax goes up $350 more itā€™ll be a free car for 7 months :joy:

3 Likes

Sold girlfriendā€™s 2008 Nissan Sentra with 122k miles to CarMax.

Carvana: $1,761
Vroom: $1,341
CarMax: $2,700

Region : NJ (had to drive to Easton, PA)

Detailed the hell out of it. Claybar treatment and threw a few layers of glaze on there. She got the full $2,700.

7 Likes

Good man. Good riddance.
:chocolate_bar:

3 Likes

Does Carmax pickup (like Carvana) or you must bring it in to a location?
Closest one to Brooklyn seems to be 2 hours away in Langhorne, PA.

Carmax requires drop off at their location.

Anyone having issues with Nissan/Carmax? I sold my car to Carmax about 3-4 weeks ago and my account is still showing as active and is now past due. I just called Nissan and they told me they received the check but that Carmax had to pay the car off thru a Nissan dealership that they couldnā€™t buy the car buy sending a check to Nissan directly?!!

Edit: Apparently in the state of Florida NMAC can not accept direct payment. The check needs to be mailed to a Nissan Dealer to be deposited and then NMAC gets notified of the deposit and closes the account. I called Carmax and they were luckily familiar with this as Ford and Mazda require the same in Florida. They are reissuing the check to a local Nissan dealership.

1 Like

Thanks.
Has anyone ever had Carmax lower the offer from the online quote? I donā€™t want to drive out 2 hours only to have them lower the price on me.