Sold one to CarMax

How many miles on your far and what location are you in?

car had 4500 miles and so cal 93030

AND A REPAINTED FRONT BUMPER + PASSANGER FENDER tesla quality is crap when i got it and tesla agreed to repaint it and it didnt even match still

Has anyone sold a vehicle that was owned by their LLC/business to carmax? Any issues with that?

Does anyone know if Carmax accepts lessor titles?

e.g., I have a leased car, I buy out my lease and get the title with both lessee and lessor names on the title (mine + manufacturer) - will Carmax accept this, or do I have to get a new title from DMV solely under my name? The latter will add 3-4 weeks to the process so hoping to avoid.

Appreciate any help in advance! :slight_smile:

New title needed issued in just your name.

Unless you are selling them your lease without buying it out yourself (if the company allows)

My family memeber did couple weeks ago. No issues at all. Bring to Carmax all documents confirming You are the owner of the company. Positive equity check will be issued to Your business therefore it is company’s income.

I brought my 2019 leased Subaru Forester to CarMax over the weekend and they said I have almost 9k in equity with the lease ending in January. Pulling the trigger on Thursday after work. Anything I need to be aware of? They said they will give me a bank draft and can I just deposit that? Newbie to of all this and just want to make sure this is all legit.

Yes it’s absolutely legit, they’ll give you a check on the spot as long as they can verify payoff with the bank

1 Like

Perfect! and I am not taxed on it or anything like that. I need to give them a call earlier in the day to make sure I get everything squared away since I will be going at 5pm-6pm time frame.

No tax involved in this transaction. If you purchased it yourself you’d pay sales tax

2 Likes

Just sold my 2021 Kia Stinger GT2 to Carmax, netting about $3500 from equity minus total payments in the six months I’ve had it. Did have to buy it out and register in my name, but luckily Missouri gives the sales tax credit when you sell, no need to trade in to a dealer. Immediately bought a ‘22 Stinger for less than Carmax gave me for the ‘21, so pretty happy with the outcome!

As @mike011 said Carmax needs to verify over the phone with the bank 3rd party dealer payof while You are there. I would suggest to be there at 3pm

2 Likes

Can I call them and do that ahead of time? I just started a new job so getting there at that time might be hard to do

Not sure. Call Carmax tomorrow and find out.

1 Like

So what did Carmax tell You?

I called and left a message with the person in the business office I was dealing with on Saturday. Hoping he calls back at some point.

Carmax needs to call and confirm, you can’t do it for them. You want to be sure to go early enough that the leasing captive (Chase in your case) is there to answer the phone when they call.

1 Like

Can they do it without me? They have my loan information. Not sure I can be there during the day at any point this week.

so I have to go in and do it during Chase’s business hours. I had to take some time off at my new job to get this accomplished on the bright side my quote went up $600.

Odd listing… Documented as a 911, VIN is from a Range Rover, and the pics are from an X5. Huh? :man_facepalming: