Sold one to CarMax

Thanks.

I’m trying to deal with honda dealerships and getting a buyout offer on my lease but not liking the numbers to carmax which are offering me $5000 over buyout. So I feel like just trading it in there and getting a check and moving on from there.

I would definitely go that route. It was a very quick process for me.

Try Enterprise Car Sales and see what they would offer. They paid me $450 more than Carmax for my 2018 Honda Accord.

Are they like carmax where you just bring the car to them and walk out with a check?

You run an appraisal online, set up an appointment, they look at your car for 5 minutes and then come back with an offer that for me lined up with the KBB trade in value, excellent condition. You sign paperwork and then they mail you the check within 5-10 business days. The whole process took 30 minutes. So no you don’t leave with a check which you would get a Carmax.

Just used the online appraisal, its not too off from carmax number at around $26,000

However I called them up and the rep didn’t know if they bought leased cars. So…

I would ask for the manager who deals with these purchases. The sales team who I initially called didn’t have much insight into the process.

Just walked out of carmax Ontario CA - reached end of lease with our Kia Sedona SXL with 8700 miles. lease buyout 22.7k carmax paid 33k. Over 10k in equity. I can’t quite believe it but it’s true. Crazy times we live in folks.

8 Likes

Nice congrats!!

1 Like

Does anyone know when I should cancel my plates(registration) and insurance? Sold my leased Honda to Carmax and gave me the plates (normal in MA). Don’t want to end up with a lapse in coverage or problems with Honda before they receive payoff and close my account.

My carmax appraisal came lower than a few days ago. Vroom was higher thou, I will try Enterprise then, no time for the drama with Vroom, even thous my car is not leased.

And some fool.is going actually pay up thousands and thousands more for a used car.

We sold our leased 2018 Highlander (from Cody originally! :slight_smile: ) to Carmax on Friday for $30k. Not bad considering there were a couple of parking scratches and it needed 3 new tires and a serivce coming up. We pocketed $5k+ over buyout which combined with the great lease from Cody means we’ve had a very cheap lease for 2.5years.

The process was fairly simple. After missing out a couple of times by having it appraised but then going back after 3pm to actually sell it to them, only to be told they weren’t buying cars at that time of day…they made us an appointment on Friday so they called TFS in the morning to confirm all the details and we dropped the car off and signed all the paperwork at 5pm. Done and done.

Now to find something to replace it with - worst possible time so I think we’ll manage with one car for a while.

2 Likes

Apparently still works for CarMax / they aren’t blocked. Not sure what the deal is, GMTV is still my favorite, but after the story of flipping my XC40 to a detail client, they turned a lease return into $5,700 ?

Did a semi-quick $100 lease return detail and instead of the dealer they brought it to CarMax.

Client put it down towards a new HR-V, which going to detail & seal later this week… so I got that goin for me - which is nice.

bought a 2019 type r from private seller last year for 33000 with 9k miles
carmax offered 38k with 20k miles
just checked again and their offer is 40200 now wow i cant resist this…

Sell sell sell. Sell before equity dives. No possible way this will keep going. Anyone who has an opportunity like this should take it NOW because it’s not going to last much longer.

The issue is finding a replacement.

3 Likes

I sold my 2018 Subaru Impreza which I leased from Subaru/Chase to CarMax today. Got an appraisal/quote last night online from CarMax, Enterprise, Carvana and Vroom. CarMax had the highest offer, $4300 over the lease buy-out. My lease ends 5/31/2021 and my registration expires on 6/2/2021, so CarMax was the best option. It took about 2 hours to get the inspection and get my check. Great experience. Highly recommend this option since I ran out of time. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with CarMax.

1 Like

So I received my check this Friday after being there for 2 Days… apparently everybody is reading LH now…!

2018 Toyota Camry SE
South East Toyota Finance
paying $235/month 36/12k deal with $1000 DAS
Due : 06/14/2021

$4700 instead of paying to return the car is amazing and I still don’t believe it.
I tried Al Go first as they were offering $1500 more but after the assesment they said that they can not meet that offer and went from $24500 to $21000.

CarMax did honored their initial $23000 price, and after being there waiting 4 hours two consecutive days I was happy! the wait was for in line customers …
SETF did provide them buyout quote instantly and no problems being only 2 weeks before lease ends.

2 Likes