Sold one to CarMax

I’ve already done the online appraisals, and I’m happy with the numbers. I just saw people on LH indicating that they got an even higher offer when they went in person after getting online offers, so I was wondering how that happened.

you will not get a higher offer. don’t be a twat don’t waste their time and just give them your appraisal and leave with your check.

1 Like

I did an online appraisal and tried the going in and playing dumb and asked for a new appraisal. After 30 mins the in person appraisal came back at the same as my online offer so I wasted 30 mins. If you are happy with the online offer, don’t be greedy and take your equity. Also- after having 3 cars appraised in person- the vin must be entered into their system or something and every time you try to get an updated online appraisal it will tell you to come in for an in person appraisal.

1 Like

I just sold a 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Crew 4x4 for $40,500. 19,300 miles. I was leasing at $345 a month from July 2019-July 2021. GMF payoff was $32,480. Just an FYI, GMF dealer payoff is “your payoff quote - taxes”. This is a rare deal even the carmax associate said so. Unbelievable market we are in right now.

Sold a 2017 Kia Forte LX (51k miles, fender bender with chipped paint in the back) for $12,000. AlGo was $11,200; Vroom was $8,700, Carvana was $11,363.

We had the title and the car was due for service (incl. brakes) and registration. Total cost of ownership (bought PPO) less than $1500 excl. gas for 3 years. Guess that was a pretty good deal for us and now I can look for something else.

CarMax was fine with the online appraisal, took 30 mins for the check-in and another 45 mins to get the paperwork done. Super nice people and he said they’re buying 30-40 cars per day at this location at the moment.

1 Like

My parents sold their 2020 Pilot they leased last summer, about 9 months ago, which had just over 7k miles on it. Pay off was around $31550, CarMax paid out $35,600 on a Pilot EX-L FWD. Equity check given to my parents today, so as of today, it looks like Honda is allowing 3rd party buyouts.

Alright. Just sold a 2020 Honda Pilot to CarMax for $34,400. It came in higher than Vroom and Carvana. GMTV was $250 higher, but when I spoke to them, they said Honda sent them a letter last week that they are no longer allowing 3rd party buyouts. I had an oh shit moment since I signed papers last week for a 4xe. Did an online quote at Carmax and it came in $400 more than Vroom. Just left with my $3477 equity check. That was a close one.

4 Likes

Got a strong offer online from carmax for our 2018 Kia Sedona. Online, I did not disclose a repaint of the sliding door due to a big scratch as result of opening the door too close to a cement pole in the garage (the options only included ‘accident’, which this was not). I plan on disclosing it when I bring it in to Carmax and expect the offer to possibly drop a bit - but by how much in your educated opinion?
Thanks in advance.

Don’t disclose anything, just mention if asked what’s on your offer. If there’s a carfax tied to the vin they will find it/the system giving you the quote has already found it so there’s no need. They will ask you for the printout and conduct their review and that’s that. I basically destroyed my passenger door by hitting a pole in my garage, had to file an insurance claim to get it fixed. The accident was reported to carfax and it came up on the online appraisal, when I went to CarMax I wasn’t asked anything (this was already in the report and the calculation had already taken note of it) so it wasn’t necessary to mention it again. I also had a dent and pretty f’ed scratches on my rims which I never got fixed nor did I disclose on the report (not part o the accident). When I brought my car in I wasn’t asked about the “superficial” damage and the value of my online appraisal never changed after they conducted their inspection. Just stay mum on the subject of mentioning anything, if you’re not asked then don’t say anything (that is a solid rule not just for this but for life).

In the online appraisal, it ask how many body panels needs repairs. You can redo your appraisal with that question answered and see what it reduces the appraisal down to. For me it was $200. Keep in mind that when you bring it in, you tell them the code relevant to the appraisal baseline you want them to use. Also keep in mind that you can rerun your appraisal with different zip codes across the country and bring in the code with the highest appraisal figure. It varied by as much as $600 for me when I did this.
I ended up selling my car to Enterprise Car sales since they gave me $450 more than Carmax and the full process was 30 minutes vs the two hours that multiple friends have spent at Carmax to sell their cars. Enterprise will mail you the check while Carmax will cut you a check right there.

His panels don’t need repairs he said he repainted them so it has already been fixed. If it’s been fixed @orys , then there’s no need to mention it. Like I said before if it’s an accident that was reported to carfax it will automatically come up and already affect your appraisal calculation. If it’s damage that’s small then don’t say anything and if it’s damage that you’ve personally fixed, again don’t say anything. If they find something that they deem to be a negative they will update your appraisal. They’re not going to yell at you lol or keep you from selling the car. If it’s really catastrophic damage then say something (even still there’s no need because they will find it). This is your process when you go to CarMax 1. Find a rep and check-in 2. Turn in your online appraisal (they ask for personal details and that’s it) 3. Wait for physical inspection and results 4. Turn in your car and get your check if you decide to sell

Thank you this is very valuable suggestion

Will try with enterprise also
thanks

Honda is still accepting 3rd buyouts as of just now. Just sold my '19 Civic EX Hatchback with 37k to CarMax. They bought it for only $2k less than the selling price a little over two years ago, which goes to show how crazy the used car market is. Car even had an accident(side swipe), small scratches on the hood and windshield, and some rim scratches. Their offer was $3k higher than Carvana’s and $2k more than Vroom’s. Ended up coming away with a sizable amount of equity in the car. Rushed in their because of the rumors I have heard with Honda and the fact I already have a new car.

2 Likes

I feel like GMTV is making this Honda stuff up or just doesn’t want to deal with them for some reason. I’ve called Honda Financial repeatedly and all the reps have told me that they haven’t heard anything about not being able to sell to third party dealers.

So is honda ALLOWING 3rd party buyouts or not?

Yes, I just sold my Honda to CarMax two hours ago.

Thanks.

I’m trying to deal with honda dealerships and getting a buyout offer on my lease but not liking the numbers to carmax which are offering me $5000 over buyout. So I feel like just trading it in there and getting a check and moving on from there.

I would definitely go that route. It was a very quick process for me.

Try Enterprise Car Sales and see what they would offer. They paid me $450 more than Carmax for my 2018 Honda Accord.