Sold one to AUTONATION!

I wouldn’t stress over a 2 hour drive. Worst case you can abuse their Starbucks machine, have a nice steak somewhere near by and drive back.

1 Like

Make sure you have the permanent registration and that its a few months old. Last time i went, even though I confirmed on the phone that I can sell, they denied buying the car due to registration being a day old. I had the official registration but no dice.

Please note that while the AN corporate polices may apply, there will be variances between the dealership locations; a great (or terrible) experience at one AN dealership does not necessarily translate to another.

First, ask them if they can do any better, ask for 1k more and see if they at least come back with 500$, can’t hurt. If you are satisfied with their offer, ask if you can send them pics, etc to “guarantee” the offer to avoid any surprises. My wife sold one to AN (not Mt Kisco) and they held the offer, I have yet to sell to them, but have had several decent offers (not Mt Kisco either) and they assured me as long as the car was what I entered, the offer would stand. You should be fine, what is the MSRP on the Jeep?

1 Like

Does Autonation buy cars with Ally leases?

Please note that Ally has different payoff for 3rd party dealer

Lenders that DO Charge a Different Payoff to Third Parties*

• Audi Financial Services
  • VW Credit
  • Ally, US Bank, GroovCar, and CAL

*Note some lenders do not charge participating dealers a higher payoff, so it may be worth exploring selling your leased car to a participating dealer or through Equityhackr .

I have been told by my local AN CJDR dealership that they are able to buy out my Ally lease since they are a “Ally Champions Dealer” at my payoff quote. I will confirm this if I move forward on my trade deal.

2 Likes

Anyone have any luck selling a VW to Autonation that is leased through VW Credit? I can’t even get a personal quote for a buyout, much less a third party payoff quote from VW Credit right now. Just crickets.

I’ve been meaning to follow-up on my previous response but wanted to be sure that the pay-off on my trade went through as promised.

For context, the vehicle in question was a 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio leased through Ally last August. The vehicle I traded it for was a Jeep GC 4XE. The process, as you can imagine, followed a similar path to those on here who have attempted to get themselves out of an Ally lease early. Lots of calls to dealerships, (even a broker or two, who shall remain anonymous) with many coming back at the payoff + remaining balance quote. In all, 3 dealerships, including one AutoNation CJDR, proclaimed to be “Ally Champion Dealerships” or high-volume, “floor dealers” for Ally and would be able to take the Alfa in on trade at the customer buyout price. This was confirmed by the finance manager showing me 3 different buyout quotes: one for the customer, one for a third-party, one for an affiliate. Within two days, my Ally account reflected a $0 balance.

While I don’t know how helpful this anecdote will be for everyone out there stuck in Ally purgatory, I hope that at the very least my experience will serve as a cautionary tale for anyone who is considering signing an Ally “Smart Lease”. They aren’t much of an “Ally”, and it wasn’t a very “Smart” decision on my part.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk!

1 Like

Unloaded my wife’s 2020 BMW X2 to JLR South Bay, CA today. Relatively painless. The associate I worked with was a nice guy and a good communicator, so feel free to PM if you want an introduction.

Long version: Showed up with a certified offer, associate and manager did a walk around, and then the associate came back and told me they wanted to take 1k off the certified offer for recon.

I told him I had walked from a higher offer at a different AN dealer already because the used sales manager really rubbed me the wrong way (this was true, South Bay Mercedes felt REALLY used-car-salesy), and that I knew what the MMR was (thank you @Bumboola !!), and they were asking me to leave too much on the table. I asked them to match the offer I had turned down, and they came back and gave me the certified offer in full ($150 lower than what I had asked for).

Probably could have kept negotiating but my wife needed me home and they did me a solid by driving me back home with a porter and the paperwork so my wife (the named party) could sign from our house without driving to/sitting at the dealership, so I agreed to the deal.

While I did have higher offers from other places (Rodo & MyCarAuction) they wanted to take delivery before I could confirm BMWFS had received the payoff, and I just wasn’t comfortable with that order of operations. (Rodo offer was 3.8k over the AN one so I was tempted to risk it, but just felt too good to be true and the sales guy kept making mistakes while we were e-mailing so I decided to pull the trigger locally).

1 Like

Sold my Acura TLX Aspec to AutoNation JLR of New Rochelle. I tried everyone on the forum and one or two dealerships. Most were at $1k to 2k over payoff. I put AutoNation on the back burner because of reviews from this post. Some random person texted me asking me what’s stopping me from selling them my car. I told them that I didn’t want to waste my time and if they would honor what they quoted me. I’m glad I answered the guy because he turned out to be one great guy. Also when I got there they bumped up the offer by a lot because the car was in such great condition. They had the check ready in about an hour the day I went there. I ended up signing all the paperwork the same day but taking the car back home so I didn’t have to take an Uber ( which they were willing to pay $300 for ). I came back two days later and picked up my equity check for $3600 over payoff and left the Acura. Car was paid off the same day I signed the papers. All in all happy with the service.

6 Likes

I would have left the car there and taken the $300 uber

Me too, lol. Had the baby with us. New Rochelle to Staten Island is a trip. Paperwork was done so it wasn’t urgent to leave the car.

1 Like

Just sold my 2020 BMW 330i lease to BMW Bellevue. One dealer offered 30k but dropped it to payoff after seeing it. Another offered 28k, which was about 1000 over payoff. The autonation offer online was 32k and they kept it at that. Ended with $4800 in equity with the msds backs.

3 Likes

So you posted in a ‘Sold To Autonation’ that you sold it to BMW Bellevue?
Edit, it is an autonation.

Because they’re an Autonation dealership.

Oh, I went to their site and there was no mention of Autonation.

I went to their Facebook page and noticed a mention there.

They don’t advertise it much. Even inside the dealership there isn’t much mention of it.

Sold my BMW to automation yesterday.

Payoff $32k they matched the CarMax offer of $35k.

Easy and smooth.

1 Like

Sold 2020 Ioniq Hybrid to Autonation. Original offer was 21700, after showing an offer from Carmax for 24,400 (which would require me buying it out and selling) Autonation came up to 23,000. Walked out with a check for $4,206 of equity. Overall the lease cost me (238*26=6188) - (4206 of equity) $78 bucks a month. Not too shabby! But wish that deals like $238 sign and drive were still a thing!

4 Likes