Sold my lease to a dealership. Should I be worried?

I had a very new 23 Silverado with less than 1000 miles.
It was a swap from Bolt so my buyout price was 23k.

Went to a local chevy dealer and first they offered even money buyout lol
like they’d just take the truck and I won’t be due any money.

Autonation had already offered 37k netting me around 14k so I scoffed it off.
As soon as I was walking out the dealership they stopped me and said they will match Autonation.
We agreed on 37.5k and I filled out a bunch of paperworks.

All I got is a copy of very genuine paper that says Miles, Color, and ACV 37.5k with only my signature.

Since they had originally lowballed me hard, I am worried if they might tack any fees or whatever
then cut me a check less than 14k.

Is this a possibility? Selling a leased car is very new for me so I am not 100% if I did this right
The Bolt was originally leased from Los Angeles, Swap was done in San Diego, and sold in Las Vegas

1 Like

Yikes never put that much down on a lease. If it’s a Chevy dealership and you have paperwork for the agreed upon sales price my guess is you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Sorry if my question was unclear. It’s not a common case so I didn’t know where to ask.
My lease is already paid off with one pay lease and it ends in Nov.

I have equity left in my lease from Bolt swap so my buyout price is 23k when the truck is worth 37k+.
This is a question about selling my lease to a dealership.

Unless you have in writing that payoff is $23k and that they’re cutting you a check for ~$14k, there’s a definitely a risk.

2 Likes

I would imagine they’d need some information on your pay off from GM Financial and that would be noted somewhere to determine your equity. Since you did a one pay your pay off would be the residual value from your original lease contract.

I would make sure you didn’t get played by the dealer where they grounded your lease for you and stole your equity. Did you get a check?

The Odometer Statement?

I’d also want a “Due To/Due From” with their signature on it, not just mine.

No they said they can only pay me once they pay off the car to GM financial they can cut me a check so it’d take about 2-3 weeks…

If it’s in writing on paper I’d sleep :yawning_face:

2 Likes

I have a paper that say Dealer name, and Client Purchase Checklist?
And a copy of Dealersource which shows Option 1 Dealer payoff $23k and Option 2 Ground Vehicle

They can’t just keep additional money. The payoff is what it is. The sales price is what you need to worry about but sounds like op has paper work for that.

1 Like

Added the pic of my docs to the post. I feel like this is not enough but they also said their used car manager went home for the day and should be back on Monday

Also just bc you did a one pay doesn’t mean you aren’t taking it in the shorts on this one. Also how could your leave end in November? Something isn’t adding up here.

Leased a BoltEV back in Nov 2020 3yr/30k and one pay lease.
Because of battery issues, swapped a Bolt for silverado in Feb 2023.
And my lease term carried on.
Yeah it’s definitely a unique situation.

Looks legit to me
But where’s the price you sold it for?

ACV 37500? That entire Miles, Color, and ACV part was left blank when handed to me lol
I asked where’s the part I’m selling for $37.5k? And he went to the manager then came back with that

Legally, you signing it doesn’t do jack squat for you. They didn’t sign it. So I’d cross my fingers and hope they’re honest.

1 Like

Did you leave your truck with them?

On the second document they didn’t select option 1 nor did they sign it. So someone there might make a ‘paperwork error’ and ‘accidentally’ ground it.

1 Like

Also one of the paperworks I signed are Power of Attorney and Bill of Sale.
Is that usually included in grounding process?

Yeah I left my truck and both car keys there.
My anxiety level just skyrocketed lol I’m going to go back there on Monday and talk to the used car manager to clear things out.

No, but while it indicates intent to sell/payoff vs ground, it’s extraneous to grounding and would be useful but not definitive in a future small claims case.

I would perhaps draft a document laying out the original intent and ask them to sign it. You have nearly zero leverage at this point but it would at least be telling.

I am not a lawyer though, this is just my opinion nothing more.

Right, I am hoping the used car manager would be easier to deal with and he can provide me proper documents.
If things go south… I don’t know what I would do lol call the police? hahaha