Simplecar.co legit site?

Hello!

I am currently looking into leasing a new Honda Civic EX-T or Hatchback EX! I’ve given up on trying to go to dealerships to get deals as their prices are outrageous and so time consuming. I was told by an individual on here to use Simplecar.co to get a great deal. After trying it out, I received a quote for the Honda Civic Hatch EX for $179 a month, $1000 down with all fees included, 36 months, 12k a year. I thought that was amazing but also too good to be true with how easy that was.

Any advice?

Too good to be true…

This is the email I received from them when I selected the offer.

How far is the dealer from you? If it’s not too far, go and report back? I’ve never heard of them, but the deal seems worth it to at least explore.

1 Like

I just emailed them back asking where they are located. The email said I would pick up the car from one of their dealers so we’ll see what they say and I’ll let you know. Thank you for your reply! I hope it is legitimate, because $179 with $1000 down including all fees is a steal!

1 Like

I checked out the site last night, and I don’t think the offers look that great compare to other deals I’ve seen posted here recently for my area in Central NJ. Here’s what I inquired about. I picked these because they are cars I am interested in.

I just got a 2017 Elantra Limited for my daughter w/ 12k/36mo for $165/mo for 35mos w/ $395 drive-off for NJ Reg . I am interested in the Santa Fe Sport or Genesis G80 AWD for myself, and I’ve seen much better deals for them posted on Leasehackr.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited
Hyundai Elantra
Limited 4dr Sedan 2.0L 4cyl 6A
Lease $220 per month including tax, $1200 drive off (includes first month and all fees). 36 months 12k miles per year.

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2.0T 4dr SUV AWD 2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A
Lease $360 per month including tax, $1200 drive off (includes first month and all fees). 36 months 10k miles per year. Sport 2.4 is cheaper (around $295 per month)

2017 Genesis G80
Genesis G80
3.8 4dr Sedan AWD 3.8L 6cyl 8A
Lease $440 per month including tax, $1800 drive off (includes first month and all fees). 36 months 10k miles per year. Including recent grad discount (must be AS, Bachelor or Masters)

Now I’m in Monmouth County, and the Hyundai dealers near me don’t want to deal and that might explain these quotes, so maybe in another NJ zipcode deals could be better from SimpleCar.co.

It doesn’t hurt to give them a try, all I provided was an email address and zipcode where I wanted to pickup the car, no name, no address, so no one can harass me.

I don’t know much about different Civic trims, but for the LX, the national offer is $169/mo with $2K down. National offers are always just a starting point, not anywhere close to what you actually can get.

So $179 with $1K for an EX doesn’t seem all that extraordinary.

It’s an EX hatchback, which is significantly more expensive than the LX sedan (not to mention the national offer doesn’t include taxes and fees)

LX MSRP is $20,400
EX MSRP is $22,800

And the LX is the national offer which means you’ll get it for significantly less with a bit of negotiating.

I’m just saying at $179/mo with $1K down for the EX isn’t a once in a lifetime deal or anything. It sounds about what you can expect to get at any dealer.

If you haven’t shopped for any Civic EX, how can you say that? From reading the other posts regarding Civics, it’s a great price and not many dealers would match that deal.

Mission Accepted :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree w/ Jon and OP, my daughter had a Civic EX sedan lease we liked a lot, I wanted to get another Civic EX (not hatchback so lower cost vehicle) but the dealers weren’t getting anywhere near this $179 w/ $1000 down.

That is when I started looking elsewhere, ended up w/ an Elantra Limited and gotta say how nice the car ride is, and how much tech is included.

I don’t think its a bad deal at all, especially for an EX hatchback, good luck if you move forward with the deal.

For the second time, it’s a EX hatch so the starting MSRP is $23,875 and there are smaller discounts off MSRP (only about 7% of Civics on lots are hatchbacks)

Are you a recent college grad? Looks like this quote is based on that assumption. Taxes and fees are included in the monthly after the $1,000 down?

I’m not as much of an expert as others here, but it looks like a good deal, especially given that it seems like an easy process for you. You also sound happy with these numbers, so I’d say that makes it a good deal.

My only suggestion would be to roll that $1,000 down into the monthlies to make it a little over $200 a month.

Getting the offer of $179 a month with 1k down including all fees was a shock to me as I was getting offered $260+ a month with $1500 down for the EX-T models.

I also just got offered $190 a month with $1000 down drive off for the EX-T coupe manual through simplecar. And yes it does include the grad incentive as I graduated from Uni a year ago.

I’ve been speaking back and forth with the guy and he explained himself/the company as: “we are in the Bay Area but work with dealers in all states. We are not a broker as we don’t charge users any fees, we are more like “Amazon for cars” which helps people get great deals and dealers sell cars faster. Let us know any feedback, we are constantly improving the product. Is there something you would like to see to help you buy/lease next car?”

So how do they make money? Or at least cover their costs?

Dealer probably pays them a commission?

When asked how they get paid as I don’t want to find hidden fees in the contract, he replied “Hi Nicole, there are no hidden fees and you sign a contract directly with the dealer (usual leasing agreement). We are a venture backed startup so we are coming up with other products to cover the costs. Let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.”

I took a look at Simplecar.co too… I have NO evidence to back their legitimacy (or illegitimacy) either way, All I know is that for me… there were some alarm bells…

I asked them about a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi Platinum and got a quote of 255 per month with 2k down… I am happy enough in thinking it is a good price… but, a few things came to me that made me concerned…

1. I requested a quote at 1:30 AM here in California (shift worker on night shift), and got a response less than 20 mins later. (Which car leasing company is up at that time. The response didn’t exactly feel “generic/computer generated”.
  2. There are NO names or contacts on their website… none, and the only way they “back themselves up” when you ask them about their legitimacy is to say “look at the reviews on our facebook page”. Hmm… facebook to me will never cut it on its own. Further to that, the last reviews were about 6 months ago!!
  3. The .co instead of .com. That always rings a red flag for me.
    There are other things, but that was just my first 3 red flags.
    Maybe I will miss out on a steal of a deal here and there, and call me overly conservative, but when something seems to good to be true, it often is!

That could be the case or they could be backed by venture capital, in which case they could just lose money. Seriously, there are many examples of this.