($7500) - tax credit
$29036 - 54% residual
.00173 - MF (.00165-.00042+.0005) buy rate less MSDs plus no acq fee
$0 - acq fee
$799 - dealer fee
$450 - taxes and registration fees
$499 - payment
$5765 total out of pocket - $1766 down + $499 1st pmt + $3500 MSDs

Ok deal but as of now, I have about $5k in equity due to the $7500 tax credit pass through.

19 Likes

Rookie question - how are you able to say you have equity without nearing the end of the lease?

Also, can you please post the lease calculator for us newbs :slight_smile:

No state tax? NJ?

1 Like

He can buyout this car and sell it, or sell it directly to a BMW dealership and make profit.

1 Like

With payoff around 44k you’ll do great finding a buyer at 49k

3 Likes

Ok so I guess I’ll take a step back. How and when are you able to know you will have equity in the car or not? Are you able to please explain this to me as if I’m a 10 year old :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t bet on having equity in your car. These are just strange times. The easiest way is to calculate your buyout and then look at the used car MMR values/resale values.
Last few years, people flipped a lot of 4xe for profit because they had equity out of the door. In fact, I think my 4xe rubicon still has some equity in it even when it has been a year with I think about 10k miles.
Reading around this forum might help you with this.

7 Likes

About $44K buyout? How come 0 acq fee?

OP used the acquisition fee waiver, which raises the MF 0.0005 in exchange for not paying the fee.

This usually only makes sense when a car has a large discount. I’d have to run the calculator on this one to see if it makes sense in this scenario with a large incentive.

5 Likes

Power move!

Ive done that before as well…worked like a champ on the shorter term 24 mo 430 leases from 2019. When the amount being financed is low (aka your large discount comment) and the term is short, that acq fee waiver works well if the dealer will do it.

1 Like

If the intention is to buy out before the added interest can accumulate, the benefit is that it reduces buy out by that amount against taking traditional terms.

1 Like

Power move #2!

2 Likes

Its odd hearing “early buy out” and “BMW” used in the same sentence isnt it? Its a new world!

My break even point for the $0 acq fee is 25 months on this lease. History suggests I will keep this car for less than a year. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Looks like you’ve got it all planned out! Good work!

Using 0% tax, I’m getting $9 a month more using the waiver vs. just capitalizing it, but it’s also a $15 increase from what OP posted as the payment.

I traded in a Model Y that mostly eliminated tax. This is actually something new that I just learned about GA leases. I always knew you could trade in an owned vehicle and get a tax credit against a newly purchased vehicle. I didn’t know there was a way to get a tax credit on a leased vehicle. Apparently, when you lease a vehicle in GA, you can choose to be taxed on the lease payments (most common method) or you can choose to pay tax as if purchasing the vehicle. If your trade is close to or greater in value than the newly leased vehicle, option 2 can be advantageous as it was in this case.

3 Likes

Right now, it’s a safe bet as the dealer will give me $49k. The market may change but I feel pretty good about my position.

You sure about that? I thought about getting one of these for a quick flip in NJ (no tax and $2000 rebate), but no one was willing to offer more than $45k

2 Likes

I’m sure about it for me. I’m not sure about it for you because I know nothing about you, the market you are in, the dealers you are talking to, and the relationships you have with those dealers.

I personally wouldn’t do any i4 deal right now if your only purpose is to flip. I got this i4 because it puts me in a better position (imo) over keeping the Model Y. I can either keep the car, which I’m happy with, or I can easily switch if I find a better deal.

1 Like