SIGNED 2020 Bolt LT - $5402 one pay, $402 after NJ rebate and GM points

Not quite. I’ve heard about an “Unlisted” cheaper Tesla, but the cheapest Tesla lease I could find came out to $5566 DAS and payment of $371. Even with the 5k rebate, Tesla is a good bit more than Economy EVs.

Playing devils advocate in the dealer knowing about the $5k rebate: They will all know about it by the time LH is done with the Bolt! Also although the dealer can’t access it without you, you also can’t access it without buying a new EV from a NJ dealer: so a bit of a standoff. I recommend a constructive and collaborative approach versus a combative or secretive one every time. Nobody should have to go to war to buy or lease a car.

I personally look at the rebate as a non factor in negotiations. NJ offers rebates on all sorts of energy efficient appliances and I wouldn’t let Home Depot or Lowe’s use that to try and make me pay more for one of their products. It’s an added bonus between me and the government, especially if the money is never passing through the hands of the merchant.

1 Like

You are looking at a one-pay of $12,600 for a 36 month lease of a base Tesla Model 3 in NJ after rebate and with no sales tax. If you are lucky enough to find a demo vehicle it can be even lower. If you don’t qualify for Costco and Loyalty/Conquest, and you are paying full MSRP, it’s pretty competitive to the Bolt (which has a higher MSRP).

Can you link an Ad or written quote? I thought Tesla was all “no negotiation”. That price is highly competitive with a well-equipped Kona EV. What is the EPA-rated range of this cheapest Tesla?

Thank you!!

I understand wanting to think about things in a personal way, but economically, this is a naive approach.

The $5k rebate significantly alters the value proposition of the car lease. You know this, which is a big part of why you want the car to begin with. The dealer also knows this, as their primary businss model is selling people on the value proposition of driving a new car.

It’s not “your rebate” intentioned to personally make your life more cost-effective. The purpose of the rebate is to make a statewide economic impact. That is why it exists. The same way that the rebate on an energy efficient washer/fridge at Lowes is designed to reduce the overall greenhouse emissions of NJ more than it is designed to save you a few bucks.

Furthermore, the design and intention of the rebate IS for the money to pass through the hands of the merchant and for it to be a Point-of-Sale rebate. The only reason why it is not YET implemented that way, is due to COVID-19 related delays in local government. The fact that the money is between you and the government, without passing through the hands of the merchant, is a loophole/oversight/race condition that you have a limited window to take advantage of.

The rebate not only impacts the purchase price of your Bolt, but it impacts the nationwide used car value of Bolts, trade-in values down the line when all these leases are up, purchase value in other states, the degree in which dealers in other states will play ball on dealer trades, and tons of other stuff.

This is a complicated economic system, but the state of NJ throwing $5k/lease at EV leases absolutely has wide-reaching impact to the overall value of EVs (both in terms of sell price, and in terms of value proposition), nationwide.

Finally, when the rebate is transitioned to being a POS rebate, versus one you can claim yourself, you would NOT want the dealer to say “I can claim this $5k, you cannot. I will not pass any of it to you so it is not a factor in negotiations”. This is why I recommend a collaborative approach. If you get real defensive and say “its my $5k, you can’t have any of it” - you shouldn’t be surprised when it’s the dealer’s turn to say the exact same line to you. Better off splitting it with them than getting none.

1 Like

It may be naive, but it DID work.

So where do you go from here? OP here beat my number and got $402. What should I shoot for now? One dollar? I’ll let the legendary soldier Big Boss answer that for me:

“Everything has its beginning. But doesn’t start at “one.” It starts long before that, in chaos. The world is born… from zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two, two becomes ten, ten becomes 100. Taking it all back to one solves nothing.”

1 Like

Your deal included $1500+ worth of credit card points redemption which I count a bit differently because of the opportunity cost of earning points on non-GM CC. (nonetheless, you’ve inspired me to open a BuyPower Card account :slight_smile: ).

For a quick, easy, and fair deal, I’d recommend trying to pull this off at Supplier pricing for around $133/mo effective.

For a great deal, for someone willing to put in a few hours of work and go up against a dealer, I’d recommend calling it once finding a deal like yours: $7214 one pay before CC points. Effective $62/month after rebates.

For someone with an unlimited amount of time on their hands:I’d try to get them to pay you to take it because it’s probably possible if the right person finds the right dealer and the right car at the right time.

OP had Buypower too… And so do I at the moment, albeit not quite as much this time. But I have the Costco incentive and the programs are virtually the same now. $1,000 more in lease cash on the Premier too. Plus I don’t need the car. john_doe_has_the_upp383f94094b

250 miles for SR+, demo units are no negotiation but discounted. Autopilot no FSD at that price (probably).

How do you get the $1500 conquest incentive?

Tesla lease hacks used to be possible. Much harder nowt hat they apply residual to selling price as opposed to MSRP.

So if you get a $1k discount and residual is 50%, you’re only saving $500 on the lease.

1 Like

You must have an existing lease in the household. Any brand. GM leases get loyalty instead for the same amount.

1 Like

I respect your thoughts… and partially agree.
If people don’t buy a few cars at MSRP, dealership won’t be able to do some crazy deals.

Range of 3 to 12% on Bolt dealership discount may be too wide. I closed my bolt at around 7 to 8 percent discount and dealership was very happy to replicate…
So we ended up getting 4 bolts in my friends and family circle. Win - win for everyone.

1 Like

Hi Baggy,
I got the deal from same dealer.
I had to pay for 9218. I did not had lease at my home but qualified for supplier discount. He gave 6% dealer discount, i think it is less than what he gave you, i shld have tried to negotiate. But i am still happy.

Thank you so much.
How you guys charge your car?
Do you bought level 2 charger?

2 Likes

Hey congratulations @Chirag_Chheda… happy for you!!
I’m using the regular charger that the car came with… so far so good.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 3

You need to register as a dealer @JessAtCapitolChevySJ

https://leasehackr.com/registered-business

4 Likes

Is this replicable in NY bar the 5k NJ rebate? My understanding is NY is 2k rebate. Do the rest of the incentives work regardless of where you’re based?

E.g. 3k Costco, 1k conquest, etc?

I’m also seeing $8500 customer cash in my area - would this apply to leases?

So effectively i should be looking for up to / around 10% off MSRP before any incentives from the dealer, then subtract Costco, 1500 loyalty or conquest, and the 8500 additional incentive?