Signed 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Momentum AWD – $55.7k MSRP, $450 + tax + $100 DAS + $5k MSDs

You have everything on your contract, why guessing? :slightly_smiling_face:

Everything on the contract doesn’t reflect my calculations nor yours. The numbers in there somehow end up at $488 after tax per month without the itemized breakdown you shared. For example, the agreed sales price was $46,150 and gross cap cost was that plus $995 acquisition fee for $47,145. What do your think they did?

Moved numbers around, doesn’t matter. We both got around $489/mo that matches the contract.
$46,150 = ($55,700 × 0.89) - $3,500 incentives

1 Like

This seems pretty expensive.

I know the XC60 is a wonderful car, but why not get a GLC 300 for less? Brand value is worth something.

I was looking into an SUV for my wife. Tried to tell her the XC60 is wonderful, but she didn’t even want to try it. In her mind, Volvo would be way inferior to a German brand.

Good question and happy to share my reasoning:

1. More bang for the buck: My wife preferred Volvo’s extra safety features at similar price points. imho, the Volvo’s interior is superior to the GLC 300, but that may be a result of us getting bored of the C300’s interior which is exactly the same.
  2. Styling: The GLC looks like our C300, but raised higher off the ground. A sedan adapted to taller suspension just didn’t look right to us. The Volvo looked better to us than all of its immediate rivals.
  3. Free maintenance: Volvo covers it all throughout the lease. MB, especially loaners that may require two B Services, can get into the thousands over the lease period. Including maintenance, the MB and Volvo net out at about $17k total lease cost.
  4. Brand is a lower priority: I prefer my VW Golf R over our Jag and MB simply because it’s more fun to drive around town and on the track, as well as objectively speaking, better designed than many luxe cars. My wife was happy with any luxe brand.

Now, if the GLC 43 loaner we were looking at had a better MF, then I would’ve sprung for that. Because HP domination and the exhaust is an aural treat!

2 Likes

To be honest, I have never considered the GLC as I never thought I will get the same options at the same price with the Mercedes.
Although a different car, a while ago I sat in the GLE coupe and I felt it was smaller than the XC60.
Is the GLC as big as the XC60?
What does the Mercedes have that the volvo doesn’t at the same price?
I personally don’t care for the badge. I love Mercedes but I think the volvo was a better value overall than the other cars I compared to in its class

2 Likes

Volvo is a better value. Similarly equipped GLC will have a few thousands higher sticker without free maintenance and probaly with lower incentives. And no leather.
With all due respect, if your wife wants an MB, then nothing else will matter.
p.s. my friend works at MB dealership, but I never considered a GLC.

1 Like

Yep, my wife used to drive a Honda CR-V so wanted a fancy luxury brand. Also, she really liked the exterior (w/ AMG line) and interior of the 2020 GLC. So like many things car-related, comes down to personal preference.

Also, “better value” depends on the deal. It sounds like the deal Leggy got from the dlear in Culver City (who I’ve also talked to) was a little worse than some recent SoCal GLC deals.

Yep, all comes down to personal preference. Coincidentally, I also talked to Tony T., but for a CX-5 for my parents, not a Volvo.

I got a 52k GLC and it had the options we wanted. Sounds like your XC60 with lots of options we didn’t get (leather, AWD, massaging seats, etc.?)

BTW, I think the sizes of the compact SUVs are all about the same. See this graphic I pulled from an Alex on Autos YouTube review. I’ve heard that CX-5 is among the smallest and Acura RDX is among the biggest.

1 Like

Yeah, doesn’t get fancier than MB

Better value means better price on the apples-to-apples cars

Great thoughts. You got a great deal, and my comment was directed more to Leggy who paid more in the SoCal market (though he probably got the best deal available).

Re interior, the 2020 Merc GLC is great, better than X3 and Q5, and probably on par with XC60 or only slightly worse. Re exterior/styling, GLC w/ AMG line looks sick.

Of course, both interior/exterior come down to personal preference. So our wifes are happy and we’re happy that our wives are happy.

I have been leasing cars for myself and family but this is my first European car lease experience. Generally speaking, if you happen to get a good lease from a dealer it doesn’t mean that dealer will always be the best for future leases. You may haven’t had the best price from CC Volvo but I did. I got several quotation from Volvo dealers in LA, OC, SB and SD counties and no one could beat them after going back and forth with all those dealers.
The size, comfort, feature, look and value of the XC60 won when compared to RX350, QX50, RDX, VW Tiguan. We even tried the Hyundai Santa Fe for its value but ended up with the Volvo. We never shopped for sportiness or badge. Comfort and quality within our budget was main criteria

Not sure with what you are comparing my numbers to conclude I paid more.

The 2019 Jag E-Pace is also getting blown out with some strong deals that are on par with MB and Volvo. They also include maintenance, look great, and are probably the most fun to drive in that class. Interior is probably the weakest point but great infotainment screen.

Was looking into this Jag before getting the Volvo. Would’ve been at least a grand cheaper total lease cost than the Volvo but safety features won out.

1 Like

Have you driven both? I drove the GLC350e and the GLC300 and could not end the test drive fast enough (the GLC300 drives nicer imo). I leased an XC60 and I love it.

Can’t believe it’s any better than Volvo’s huge display. I really love it. It is smaller than Tesla’s but bigger than anything else, I think. Just perfect size for me.

1 Like

It’s in landscape orientation and does a better job organizing info around CarPlay. Also doesn’t lag like the Sensus screen. My Volvo screen is the 9” version so I may not be comparing apples to apples.

1 Like

Don’t mean to criticize your deal, since it’s decent and you got the exact car you wanted. But it seemed to be higher than the original poster’s albeit in a different market. I thought you got the same car or at least similar MSRP.

You made the right call, XC60 clearly better than E-Pace. I researched compact SUVs obsessively and the ones that kept popping up were XC60, the luxury Germans, and RDX.

1 Like

Can you share which NorCal dealer you got the deal from?