SIGNED 2019 BMW i8 Roadster - MSRP $172,395 - $0 DAS+MAX MSD - 24/7.5k

I don’t think this guy has any idea what he’s talking about, but a simple msrp x rv after 2 years and then looking what used cars are selling for should answer that.

1 Like

Monthly payment has nothing to do with potential equity. The cars have value but not 50 grand

”This guy.” Ouch haha.

To be fair the guy with the i8 is in Canada.

$43k in discounts. $86k CAD residual. He paid $435/month CAD with a $21,000 down payment.

USD residual would be just under $69k. The conversion would be about $349/month and just under $17,000 for the down payment.

Considering 2019 i8’s are currently selling for around $120,000 USD he could net a profit that pays for the entirety of the lease, then take home somewhere in the ballpark of $20k USD.

In America, a base roadster on a 7500 mile lease has around a 107k rv…

1 Like

Unless the guy is mistaken. His original MSRP was $156k so it’s possible, but this would make it an absolute unicorn deal. That would be a ~ 55% residual. Edit: The math definitely adds up and a roughly $1,000 USD effective monthly is what many Leasehackrs were getting in that timeframe. He likely just leased at the most favorable time.

That’s a coupe…

Yup, I posted it here since this was the most recent i8 deal I could find and I wanted to compare. I figured OP could have some positive equity as well, but nowhere near the same amount.

what people pay in a timeframe has absolutely no bearing on what their buyout is, though. you’re mixing 2 unrelated things. monthly payment <> buyout.

He posted on a different platform that his residual is $86k. I’m not inferring it.

The math ($156k - $42k - $21k - $10,440 + interest) does work out so it’s likely not a mistake.

$69k USD residual on a car that’s selling for $120k means he could have about $50k in positive equity…

Yup, I assumed that some of the hotter deals may have had a similarly low residual. It’s possible that that wasn’t the case. This guy likely got a Canadian unicorn.

2 Likes

Am I missing out on something? I have an 2019 i8 that I have to turn in by Friday…Is there some way I can make some money off this instead of just turning it in? My monthly payment was $730/mo

How much have you been offered by carmax, etc to purchase it vs your current pay off?

I didn’t think I could sell it to them. I thought bmwfs stopped allowing third party buyouts?

bmwfs stopped proving 3rd parties the buyout pricing directly. They now require it to go through the lessee.

1 Like

Oh shit. Ok…I probably don’t have enough time to do this though.

you can ask bmw for an extension and give yourself another month or two if you want. I’d start by getting some quotes to see what, if any, equity you’re even talking about and then decide from there. Worst case scenario is you have the car for another couple months at your current rate and then turn it in.

Only issue is I’m on the last of my 2 month extension. I contacted a few of those companies before but could never get a finalized quote. I figured this car is something they don’t usually buy.

Can’t you get on the i4 wait list and claim you are waiting for one of those - to get another extension.

Try autonation

sell the car asap before values of sports cars falls. you’re going to have to give your car back anyway, might as well make some money on it.