SIGNED: 2019 Audi E-Tron Prestige (with pics)

How’s the fast-charging network availability?

It is pretty lame @max_g. A lot of the electrify america network isn’t at the claimed 150kW. Great for around town or shorter roadtrips. Wish audi wasn’t so conservative on the usable capacity of the battery

That’s a shame. In a review I read Audi had claimed 50 miles in 10 minutes or 155 in 30 using 150kW

you can just discharge close to all the way and charge closer to 100% if audi has been conservative with the usable capacity. For the sake of longevity, most tesla owners almost never go below 10% and almost never charge above 90%, so they realistically realize about 80% of the range. Even on road trips you never charge all the way to 100% because it becomes excruciatingly slow at higher charges

My point was leaving home on a 100% charge prior to a roadtrip.

For example tesla 75 kwhr battery is nearly 72kwhr usable.

Audi 95kwhr is 83kwhr usable, rumor was audi made a change to make 86kwhr usable (unsure if USA got it). Still missing nearly 10% of capacity.

Tesla has more experience and know how and it is apparent when it comes to road trips, but can’t lease one for under $400 so I’ll accept the lame battery

yup, my point was other electrics aren’t all they’re cracked up to be, they make great daily commute cars but when you actually want to use 300mi+ of range or take a long weekend road trip, the full range rarely exists and the roadtrip is inconvenient.

Agree but once you get over 250+ mile ranges tho who wanted to drive longer than that without stopping. Tesla’s extra range and charging network in my mind is one of the reasons to get one over something like an etron.

I’d argue the price of these etron leases counters the charging network and extra range quite handily!

1 Like

True. Just rent a car for road trips with the savings!

As many have complained with EA, I actually just completed my first road trip from LA to SJ. Not sure if I would have major Range Anxiety, but wasn’t too bad as I plotted out in advance, manageable stops.

Topped off charge before I left. Pulled into my closest EA stop for 1st time. Only saw 50 kw chargers so I went back to the original EA station that had 150 kw chargers.

1st stop off I5 in Bakersfield at a EA/Shell station about 1.5 miles off the exit. Clean station and 350 kw chargers. No wait. Only 1 other Jaq Ipace charging. Several available chargers. Quick 28 minute to full charge. No issues. (Would have been ~$28)

2nd stop off I5 in Panoche at another EA/Shell station. Few 350 kw chargers and some 150 kw ones. Had a minor blip getting charger as it got stuck on initializing screen. Quit and moved to another one. 37 minutes to full charge from 37%. (Would have been ~$30)

Pulled into Cupertino with 80 miles left. Unexpected bonus- hotel Juniper has free EV charging (free parking for all guests). 5 kw but charging while inside is all good.

So far, I’m pretty happy with the free 1000 kw Audi provides and the EV experience so far. It’s my first time owning one.

4 Likes

To the EV-uninitiated, how much does this roughly equate to for an ICE vehicle?

More expensive

In this case, my guess would be ~150 miles of range, so 20cents/mile.

For simplicity, assuming a similar ice car would be 27mpg highway and 2.70/gal gas you’d be at about 10 cents a mile, so roughly double the fuel costs for this electric on a road trip.

The savings occur when you charge for cheap at home or for free at slow public chargers (when they cost zero and available), this will be 95% of the time for EV owners

3 Likes

Hey, how were you able to take advantage of the free 1000kw? I can’t find material on it anywhere.

100 percent agree!

you have to go thru the myAudi app and then, you can use your 1000 kw from EA…