Sienna or Volvo?

I’m planning to buy/ finance a new sienna or Volvo xc 90 b5 at the end of this year 2024.im in New York.# ny
Is it possible to get like below Msrp on the sienna?
Is it possible to get over 10% of msrp on the Volvo?

Sienna’s have been in short supply for some time, so it might be difficult to get one below MSRP. However, the supply of Toyota’s seems to be improving lately.

My local dealer had one on the lot last week. I was surprised to see on the window sticker that it received only a three star rating from NHTSA for the front driver crash test. It did receive an overall 5 star rating.

2 Likes

Don’t buy XC90, especially B5, even at 15% off. Buy a Sienna. Lease is a different story.

2 Likes

Another vote for buy Sienna.

Would you tell me why not buying xc90? The reason I am thinking xc90 is because I already had 2 leases with xc60. But since I have need more space for my family, that’s why I’m debating in between xc90 or sennia

Resale value. Volvo doesn’t hold it like Sienna will. Then repairs after warranty ends. Like I said, lease is different. Keep leasing Volvo, if you decide on XC90.

1 Like

IIHS does a much better job than NHTSA on crash tests. The Sienna did very well:

An XC90 B5 is dreadfully slow. Not sure why you’d ever consider that in the first place. The B6 has enough oomph but the T8 is what is really necessary to move that around IMHO.

1 Like

TCO is way, way better on the Sienna even if you pay MSRP

Ntm that big discounts are indicative of low demand and/or inflated stickers intended to gaslight people.

2 Likes

Sienna FTW

1 Like

If you need the three rows, a minivan is way more convenient than an XC90. Only reason to get the XC90 instead is if a PHEV works for you and you get a great deal on a T8.

1 Like

Sienna, like others said. Holds better value and will be better on gas too.

2 Likes

I had a 2011 Sienna. Leased for 3 years. In those 3 years nothing broke on it, ran perfect. Bought it at the end of the lease. Kept it for another 3 years and sold it at 100k miles. Again, nothing went wrong with it for 100k miles. Oil changes and tires was the maintenance cost. No repairs. Not even small stuff like a radio button falling off.

And here’s the kicker: I sold it for 50% of MSRP. Which to this day blows my mind. When we the question Toyota or something else, go with the Toyota.

6 Likes

a UNICORN deal on a XC90 is 15-17% off msrp

1 Like

I’m wondering if sienna will go below msrp the end of the year? Or the last day of the year will be a great time to negotiate below msrp?

I got $1k off my Sienna, but the dealer knocked $500 off my CarMax appraisal, so lets just call it a $500 discount. This is was for an inventory vehicle at a local dealer.

The best I’ve seen is $2k off on a loaded Platinum Sienna, but it had loads of port/dealer options that basically made that discount a moot point.

I went with the XLE trim as it was what was available that met my minimum requirements. Personally, I’d target a Limited trim if price isn’t a factor.

When do you need a vehicle? If you want a Sienna I’d start shopping now and be happy with an MSRP deal.

1 Like

If OP wants 8 seater, XLE is the highest he can choose, higher trim is only 7 seater.

1 Like

My Volvo lease ends April 2025, but I am thinking to get the sienna the Dec this year. The only reason is I think the end of the year is the best time to get a new car , but maybe just happened before pandemic tho~

Toyota produces a low number of Siennas each year and they rarely sit on lots. I know dealers in my area claim to have out of state buyers flying in to get vehicles at a markup.

It is made in the same factory as Highlander and Sequoia and there is a heavy market bias to SUVs vs minivans (also higher margins for Toyota). So the few vans that are out there have buyers lining up. If you browse the Sienna subreddit you’ll see Canadian dealers have multi-year waitlists to get one.

Dealers typically know when they get an allocation a few months in advance, so I’d talk with your local one and see if they have a deposit system for you to lock one it around December timeframe or whenever you need it.

Thank you so much. It’s very informative. Just feel so bad paying like $50k for a sienna.