Show Us Your Rental Car

I corrected my post.

Is every Toyota this awful?

I guess it’s naive to think that the disappointment would be contained to the occasional RAV4 rental and the Prius that cursed our lives for almost 10 years.

1 Like

90% I think. I would be interested in a Gazoo Racing Yaris, but that’s not at all your standard Toyota.

3 Likes

Their fleet vehicles are some of the worst IMO.

Not unlike when you encounter industrial toilet paper that is < 1 micrometer thick, I can’t believe that plastic and fabric and foam that trashy gets put in a Toyota. What is never wasted on a single Toyota rental car? SOUND DAMPENING MATERIAL

Suddenly Hyundais start looking good.

3 Likes

Was there something stopping you from selling it?

Wasn’t exactly my choice since I wasn’t the one who received it as a gift.

1 Like

I left the car unlocked in the hotel parking lot all night, and thankfully no one stole the cargo mat.

I did find the culprit the next morning. The hatch door wasn’t closed properly, which was obvious when I went to open it again.

After opening/slamming it shut three times I was able to get the hatch closed properly, and then I was able to lock the car.

This theme continues.

With normal effort, the driver’s door refused to close all the way about 75% of the time.

This is at the gas station on the way back to the airport:

https://i.imgur.com/DI3e1qG.jpg

6,400 miles on the odometer. What an atrocious vehicle.

1 Like

Man, I would have loved to have had that 4runner on my last trip over that eclipse cross I got.

At least if you get one in the future you’ll know how to trick it into locking. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We just did an 1800 mile roadtrip around the Deep South. We were stuck with a Hertz booking because we had a whole bunch of points and rental rates were insane so a free week’s rental made sense.

I was nervous given we were covering a lot of distance and really didn’t want to end up in a shitbox Nissan. We have status with Hertz so whilst there was nothing but shitbox Nissans and a couple of base Ford Escapes in the Presidents Circle area, we asked about taking a Subaru Ascent and the Hertz rep was super friendly and said of course. Have to say, I was impressed with it, even in base spec. Perfect roadtrip car. Boring but damn comfy.

3 Likes

Chevrolet Traverse from Hertz in Anchorage.

@mllcb42 The guy at the counter asked me if I’d rather have an SUV than the full size I reserved, and I asked if they had an Outlander, but it wasn’t meant to be.

1 Like

The outlander sport I had on one of my last trips wasn’t that bad.

Way better than the eclipse cross.

Had an hr-v recently… wasn’t too shabby.

Every once in a while, I get a Ford edge. I actually like those when I get them.

Shit. I meant to ask for an Eclipse.

I’m renting another car here from Budget next week. I’ll try again.

Sign Language Flagellation GIF by ISL Connect

1 Like

The only way I’ll believe that an Eclipse is worse than a RAV4 is from firsthand experience.

I don’t think the Traverse is bad looking but from that angle it looks like a truck with a broken frame.

I reserved a couple of days in Honolulu for Sep 7 and 8th for $48/day through Costco for Enterprise “Jetta or Similar” and $55 for a Intermediate SUV for the 15th-lets see what I get as prices skyrocketed after I reserved in April, then I have another car in Hilo, HI that I prepaid through Hertz $180 but was checking occasionally and when it dropped down to $65 I got credited back the difference by modifying the reservation online (Hertz gives you up to two times when you prepay to modify) Hope I get a Mitsubishi Eclipse as speed limit is 25mph on streets or 55 on Freeway hehe

Reserved a Ford Fiesta with Avis and got “upgraded” to a Kia Forte…better then I expected but wow soooo much plastic

A Hertz local store tried to walk me on my bargain basement corp rate. I couldn’t allow that, so they put me in a 2019 Sienna with nearly 62,000 miles on the clock.

2 Likes

My latest rental car was a Lexus ES. Didn’t expect much, but wow I’m surprised they call this a luxury car. Everything feels cheap, the door slams with a hollow sound you’d expect from a Nissan Versa, not from a luxury car. Materials screamed Toyota rather than Lexus. It felt every bit the rebadged Camry/Avalon that it is.

1 Like

I had a CH-R 2 weeks ago in NorCal: no pictures but the interior accent colors are definitely for someone with a purple streak in their hair. It has no Friskies coupon dispenser like every HR-V (aka “the :cat: car”) comes with. A Hertz bargain at $300 for 4.5 days (AAA was almost $100 less than Costco travel).

Did you check the VIN to see whose lease Hertz over-paid for?

1 Like