Should there be a law against ADM?

It mainly has to do with decline in volume. A store that used to sell 800-1000 units a month is now selling 400-500 a month due to availability.

2 Likes

Did you complain about Tesla not offering discounts when dealers offered discounts in the past?

7 Likes

Besides the point. What I expressed is simply that not all dealers are doing markups.

Personally, I would buy a Toyota over a Tesla. I think Toyota is a much better vehicle. Would I voluntarily pay over MSRP for one when some dealers are not charging over MSRP? Absolutely not. This entire website is dedicated to people sharing good deals on new vehicles. Stay on topic. The Tesla comment was simply a reply to the Toyota dealer claiming that the Tesla MSRP increase was the same as a dealer markup. It simply is not.

1 Like

Supply and demand. The dealers that are selling for MSRP will have a long waitlist. If you want one soon, you will have to pay.

1 Like

no one likes adm. Tesla hides their adm with an msrp increase based on what the market is willing to pay. if you want a Tesla you don’t even get a chance to find the rare dealer not selling over msrp on high demand models.

it’s basically the same thing, traditional dealers just have it as a additional line item

2 Likes

Everyone can dissect it however they want. I just know if I wanted any item, from any store, and it was $10k cheaper at one store than another, even with a wait, that is where I would go. To each their own. The sales tax savings alone are upwards of another $1,000 in some areas of LA. Again, if Toyota’s MSRP went up, there would be ADM on top of that. So again, not the same thing.

Again, supply and demand. If no one is willing to pay the ADM, there wouldn’t be one.

1 Like

Re read your comment lol. I was saying MSRP increase and ADM are not the same thing.
If your counter is regarding supply & demand, it is not on topic with what I said. No one car shopping is unaware that supply does not meet demand. Some people will pay over, some won’t. When I use a forum/website that’d dedicated to finding a good deal, and I see better deals outside the forum, it is not out of line to share that.

Again, to each their own.
Again, stay on topic.

3 Likes

I agree with @db2588. I’m on LH to find good/great deals on cars, not to find out how much markup I have to pay to get a car immediately. I like Toyota and Lexus, but I don’t like them at $10,000 over MSRP. Furthermore if the same car can be found at or near MSRP elsewhere, how can anyone on LH try to justify a $10,000 premium? It seems contrary to what LH stands for.

2 Likes

What did you share? Where can you get an incoming bZ4X for MSRP?

Is your takeaway that LH is pro-ADM?

Understanding how the world works is not the same as being “for” it.

4 Likes

I’m not saying LH is pro-ADM at all. I’ve personally found great lease deals on my last 2 cars on thru LH.

All I’m saying is that IF a car can be found at/near MSRP, then there is no need to justify a $10,000 markup.

1 Like

I “shared” that there are dealers are selling Toyota’s at MSRP. Not sure why this is a difficult concept lol. Getting argumentative about that fact is a waste of time. It is a fact.

Wow, such great info. No one knew that. Thanks.

1 Like

All of the above, but mostly the last one as of now. Low supply and high demand equals high prices. If there was no demand, then pricing would still be low even with low inventory.

However, I think it started off as more of making up for lost revenue. Some dealers said we don’t want to lay off anyone or go into the red, so no discounts and that transitioned to where we are today as the market supported higher pricing models.

1 Like

“Supply and demand”. Wow, such great info. No one knew that. Thanks.

Keep in mind I simply replied to a comment that suggested ADM and MSRP increases are the same, and stated that they aren’t. You chiming in with “supply and demand” is not helpful. Everyone knows the demand outstrips supply at the moment. Back to my original response, ADM and MSRP increase are not the same thing. One is in control by the individual dealers, one is not. Again, keep on topic.

2 Likes

Why do you care who does the marking up, the manufacturer or the dealer? So you’re happy to pay more because the manufacturer sets a higher price? Seems exactly the same to me. That’s what @Jon meant, I doesn’t matter who raises the price, the market will determine what’s the appropriate price. It’s just semantics.

Also, stop crying about staying on topic, it is on topic.

2 Likes

Since Tesla is the manufacturer and dealer increasing msrp is just adding the ADM, to fool the uninformed

I care because not all dealerships are doing ADMs. Is that a difficult concept?
Lets dumb this down for you: A manufacturer increases their MSRP by $5,000. That means every one of those units nationwide costs $5,000 more. Lets say dealership “a” sells at MSRP, and dealership “b” sells for $3,000 over MSRP. While you are paying $5k more than you used to at dealership “a”, you are paying $8k more at dealership “b”. Does this make sense to you?
The market is wild. There is no denying that.
The reason I have suggested he stay on topic, is because I got involved when a dealer suggested that ADM and MSRP increases are the same. That is incorrect. Please re read this comment if you do not understand the difference.
To reiterate, to each their own. If someone wants to spend $10,000 for the luxury of not waiting for a Toyota, let them. Keep in mind, again, that ADM and MSRP increase are not the same thing, which is back to the original topic.

So you’re saying you prefer the toyota model with optional ADMs, yes?

1 Like