Should there be a law against ADM?

I prefer to do a little research and not pay an ADM when it is “optional”. Please reference my “dealership a” vs “dealership b” comment above.
No one is suggesting the Tesla model is ideal. It works for some, it doesn’t for others. Would I prefer to be able to build a non-tesla on toyota’s website and know what the cost is? Yes. I think everyone would.
Example: Our local toyota dealership quoted a friend of mine $3k over MSRP on a 2022 Tacoma. He agreed to it, because after talking to every dealer around, that was the lowest he could find. I recommended a dealer 3 hours away, who had the same exact truck in stock (as opposed to a 12 week wait). He booked a one way flight and paid MSRP. He saved $3,000 + tax.
New vehicles are hard to find. People come to LH to find deals. A “good deal” is subjective. My point is simple: if you can find something identical for a lower price with a little research, it may be worth your time. If you are impatient and are willing to pay ADM’s, more power to you. People value time and money differently.

1 Like

People do all the time, especially in discussions regarding dealer mark ups.

Personally, I prefer a system where adms are optionally applied by dealers rather than one where adms are mandatory because the manufacturer/dealer decided to bump the price because its Tuesday with a full moon.

1 Like

My error, I should be more specific. I meant no one in this particular conversation has suggested the tesla model is better. I apologize for not making that clear.
I agree. An optional ADM is better because it puts the power of the person to decide whether or not to pay it.
One person suggested it would take 2 years to get a specific model. With the extra $10k over that 24 months, it would equate to $416/month. 2 years goes by quickly. Not quickly enough for some people, but I think back and its been over 2 years since they had the shutdowns and other things covid-related. It went by quickly in my opinion, but again, opinions are subjective.
I understand that some people need a vehicle and are in the market not by choice. I feel for them, because it is a tough market to navigate. For some, a new vehicle is more of a “want” than a “need”, and a little patience and research can save you some money. That is the point I am trying to make.

I would like to clarify once again that an ADM and an MSRP increase are not the same thing, and will bow out of this conversation at that.

In a “normal” manufacture/dealer relationship, i agree. When the manufacturer is the dealer and they increase the msrp when the wind changes, it’s a much blurrier line.

Telling other people to stop being rude and making this comment? With your condescending tone, if I was a dealer, I wouldn’t sell you a car at 100k over MSRP.

3 Likes

Find me a EV6 at MSRP on the west coast and I’l venmo you $500 and buy you a steak dinner

1 Like

Hi!
I did a little research for you and made a call. Kia of Valencia is not doing markups on EV6 over MSRP, per the salesman I just spoke to. Check them out! Best of luck!

3 Likes

yeah but they have actual salable inventory in the next 3 months?

Again, if you are correct, a dinner and $500 is a small price to pay in this market

That, I don’t know. The website shows 2. If they don’t work, PM me. I have another dealer that, according to my research, is not marking them up. They are in Southern California as well.

Are they really selling at MSRP? When I was recently looking to buy a car (not a EV6), several dealers who claimed to be selling at MSRP were adding thousands of dollars in mandatory add ons, that were essentially worthless.

Unrelated dealer but I think I might have hurt his feelings…

Is there another screen? He said “no worries.” Seems like his feelings are in tact.

No other screen, that was the last interaction I had with the salesperson. $9k above asking… for a Kia… :smiley: what a time to be alive

@boozinix just ship one from Jim.

As I’ve grown older, I’ve realized the dealer experience is one of the biggest parts of owning/leasing/operating a new car. Based on my experiences with multiple dealers over the past 10 years, I can say I will never go back to the Dodge/Jeep brand and have moved on for good from ever considering a Honda or Hyundai going forward. Nothing but BS and lies from these dealers, both in NV and CA.

In general, Mazda dealers I have been corresponding with have been pretty transparent and up-front. Even where I live in Las Vegas, which has always had the worst, shadiest auto dealers with bogus fees imaginable, IMO. I had previously not considered the Mazda brand, but they are pretty close to gaining a new customer.

So dealers can be greedy in the short-term, but this will have a long-term effect on brand loyalty. I was ready to pay full MSRP this month with cash/financing in hand on a new Honda Civic or Hyundai Elantra and got the ol’ bait and switch with ADM’s and mandatory add-ons even on vehicles “In Transit” which hadn’t been sold yet. So these two brands have likely lost a customer for life.

In the past, I’ve usually gone to my native state of California to get my new cars, as the dealer fees have always been more reasonable with more transparency in general. One day permit, drive back to NV and avoid a lot of nonsense. So yes, one can vote with their wallet.

Bottom line, the sales model needs to change. It doesn’t need to be this hard. It should be much easier to build a vehicle to order to one’s own desired set of options, wait a couple months for it to be built and delivered, and pay a set price with full transparency.

8 Likes

I did, he didn’t have the colors :frowning: (look at me, being picky in this market)

It’s annoying. 30 cars at below invoice equals less pay than 6 at 5 figure over msrp deals

OMG i would love a model where everyone paid sticker nothing more nothing less. 3k front ends on every deal? Let’s goooo

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it’s why I ordered a Ram/Jeep.

Now ADM is out of hand.

What was this new? $2400?

2 Likes