Should there be a law against ADM?

Maybe they invested and divested $GME at the right time. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Lol I found that ADM affects EVs as wellā€¦in Bike form

Google says this should be 10k

12K mark-up on a 35k car. Thatā€™s a 30% mark-up. Like Im not opposed to mark-ups to be honest, the dealer has to make money in this shortage, and even a 10K mark-up on a 100k car makes sense but this is just ridiculous

1 Like

Iā€™ve given up thinking you can protect people from themselves.

2 Likes

I 100% oppose any effort to stop stupid people from being ripped off for a simple reason. They subsidize me. Every $1200 desert protection plan sold, allows someone who is not an idiot (like yours truly) to save $1000 on the same car. Itā€™s like how people paying 26% interest on credit cards subsidize my 2% Cash Back credit card.

2 Likes

Everyoneā€™s opinion here is wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here is the correct logic:

1. In states where carmakers have the option to sell direct to consumer and donā€™t need to use a dealer (gas and ev), dealers should be able to charge whatever they want.
  2. In states (most) where new car sales must be done at a dealership, stemming from laws made to protect consumers from carmakers, dealers should not be allowed to charge above msrp on anything. Otherwise, the whole point of the dealer franchise laws are moot. Take away dealer franchise laws, which are supposed to benefit end consumers, and you can then take away price gouging restrictions.

The reason that selling above msrp is wrong is solely because the government forces the use of dealers.

1 Like

People are generally just dumb. I registered a car (purchased not leased, I know I have sinned) at the DMV. I got chatting with the clerk about cars and got to EVs somehow. She said just so you know if you do buy an EV, registration is about $100 more than usual. To which I said, well yeah that makes sense since drivers of EV donā€™t pay gas tax. And she said thank you, you actually understand it, 9/10 times she has to explain to people who register cars and are outraged that they are being gouged or scammed or ripped off by the state for driving an EV.

This isnā€™t a knock on EV drivers, just generally how people are morons and donā€™t understand the basics of how things work. Which is why dealers operate they way they do. The rubes who walk in the door are just asking to be fleeced.

1 Like

Norcal market still that messed up, where dealers can still try this stuff? You can now easily buy in stock full size trucks for less than that. Unreal.

Also, when weā€™re in ā€œnormalā€ times, you donā€™t have nearly as many ā€œdealsā€

They should be paying a lot more then $100 since theyā€™re using the same roads our gasoline taxes pay for. But then again theyā€™re saving the world so maybe we should be paying them!

As an EV and PHEV owner, I approve of this message. :skull:

1 Like

$100 is a bit low true. Average miles driven a year is 12k. For a normal car that gets 25 MPG that would be 480 gallons of gas. On average state gas tax is 30 cents. So really it should be about $150 extra vs a normal car.

Edit: I suppose An argument could be made that electricity is also taxed by the state so EV toy owners pay that way. Although the money is not specifically allocated for roads and such.

Your 2% back comes from the merchant where you use your credit card.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure this is fake news.

How much is gas tax in cali where most evs are sold thoigh! And how much tax money was paid out in rebates. It adds up to a lot of money weā€™re paying forā€¦

Looked this up since I noticed gas went up over 20 cents overnight
https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-reports/energy-almanac/transportation-energy/estimated-gasoline-price-breakdown-and-margins

These shifts arenā€™t necessarily tied to oil priceā€¦there IS a form of gouging going on with refineries.

2 Likes

At least in California, you cannot presume that itā€™s spent for roads either.

Dog parks and pedestrian paths? Absolutely.

2 Likes

No sir. It is not. I have no reason to lie. I own a small plumbing and heating supply business. I accept credit cards as a form of payment from my customers. There is a base processing fee (for Visa/Master Card/American Express) that I pay the credit card processing company every month for the convenience of the money being deposited into the businessā€™ bank account the next day. On top of the base fee, there is an addition percentage I pay for each different reward card. The rewards you get are paid for directly from the merchant.

So the customer ultimately pays for it in increased pricing for goods though. Which is why I donā€™t accept credit cards so I donā€™t have to raise my pricing. If they want to use a card I charge the 3% fee that Venmo or whatever charges me

Interesting Iā€™m not doubting your experience. As far as I knew, cash back was taken out of the processing fee, not added to it. Idea being the cv company would take less in processing fees, figuring the extra use of the cars to get the bonus would eventually lead to more volume and more interest paid over time.

So youā€™re saying if I use a 2% cash back with your company, you pay the regular 3% to Visa and an additional 2% on top of that?