Should I take my leased X3M40xi's $10k over buyout to finance a 2019 Golf R?

I’ve been offered ~$10k over buyout on my leased 2021 X3M40xi by CarMax and Autonation. Payment is $630/month including tax on my remaining 21 months of a 36/12 and I’m on target with my mileage at about 15k miles on the clock. I can’t figure out whether it’s worth it to take the $10k and finance a 2019 Golf R with ~10k miles. All in it would be $50,258 with tax, so with the $10k down (from the $ over buyout) leaves me a $672 payment for 72 months.

Any wisdom on making financial sense on whether this is worth it?

Your buying a 3 year, almost 4 year vw golf r for 50k? Brand new they were in low 40s. Your better off getting a brand new one. Its your money, golf r is great but not 50k great.

4 Likes

What’s your purchase price and what was the original MSRP?

1 Like

I wouldn’t.

5 Likes

On this one I would keep driving th X3 and revisit in 6-12 months. Of all the things I might flip the equity into, that’s not it (even with the longer 6/72 factory warranty). Not for an even payment or that cost, hellz no.

3 Likes

$45xxx purchase price, similar MSRP.

1 Like

And you’re good with paying the original MSRP on a nearly 4-year old car?

Aren’t there some decent cars out there available for new at MSRP, even if you have to perhaps order it? Seems like that’s a better route to go. If you want high-ish powered and AWD, you can find a WRX for below MSRP. A WRX Premium would be far less than this 3-4 year old Golf R.

3 Likes

I would probably take the 10K but wouldn’t buy a golf with it.

8 Likes

Why not order a brand new 2022/2023 Golf R if that’s what you want? I can’t fathom paying $50k for a 2019 Golf R.

What does the Golf do that the X3M40 doesn’t? If you want a sportier car and don’t need 4 doors, get/order a M240xi, if you need 4 doors get the M340xi. I don’t understand the upside on spending above MSRP on a prev gen Golf R, that I believe has an inferior AWD system vs. the current model.

If you’re going to cash out equity and finance, I would sell the X3, and order something new @ MSRP:
Golf R (long wait)
M240xi, M340xi
S3/RS3

In 72 months (six years) you’ll own a 9 year old Golf.

5 Likes

B/c of the infotainment system?

Although I agree that I don’t quite understand why someone would want to trade in a virtually new X3 m40 for a Golf R that’s several yrs old.

To the OP, how about a regular GTI? Most reviews I’ve seen indicate that the GTI is nearly as capable.

1 Like

45k is the 2022 msrp, iirc 2019 msrp was more like 40k.

Like the others have stated, this seems unwise. A used Golf R for 45k sounds insane to me compared to alternative options that require a bit of patience.

Respectfully, you might as well try to win an auction on carsandbids.com on something more exciting like a used M-series BMW if you’re willing to overpay - OR try to get on a waitlist for the 2023 Golf R (which will be the 20th anniversary edition) and hang on to the X3 for now.

1 Like

2021 BMW m340 and 2019 Golf GTI owner here. The GTI is way more fun to drive but 50k!!! Get out of dodge.

2 Likes

A Golf R is way rarer than an X3 40i and a nicely bought R will hold value better than peak bubble BMW valuations.

That being said I’m sure you can find a better deal on the R?

2 Likes

What is the current buyout on the x3?

I’m curious how it compares to the Golf at the moment. My uneducated guess is that it is pretty close, and I have to wonder why the hell anyone would look at a ‘21 x340 and a ‘19 Golf at the same price with similar miles and say “oh yeah, Golf for me!”

2 Likes

It’s around $39k, $29k residual.

So you have a choice of a '21 X340m for $39k or a '19 Golf for $45k and you want the Golf? Am I reading this right?

6 Likes

Maybe bias but I’d take an X3 M40i every day ending in Y.

2 Likes

I don’t even understand how someone arrives at this choice

4 Likes

Golf R is cool, but an optioned brand new GTI makes more sense financially.

1 Like

Add my vote to the “don’t ever do this” category.
This sounds insane to me on every level except getting equity out of your lease.
Even though it has ~3 years (guess, could be less) of warranty left that golf R will be expensive to keep up out of warranty most likely and you will still have 3+ years left on the loan.
The market is not going towards small cars long term in terms of resale value (golf R might do ok…) and an out of warranty VW is kinda rough IMO.

2 Likes