Should I lease a Model X?

I am thinking of getting a Model X due to thecrecent price drop. I am deciding between a lease or finance in VA. Anyone lease a model x, if so how was it? Are there any advantages Tesla gives you on a lease to get into a new Tesla at lease end? Can you lease with $0 down except first payment, tags, and taxes?Below is some info unique to my situation…

1. I have leased multiple cars before, around 5 I think. They were all 36 months and $0 down. I never kept a car the length of the lease, i always turned in early.

2. I like the certainty of a lease knowing in 3 years or less I get a new car.

3. I like not worrying about trade in value with a lease

4. I have never bought a lease at the end so the fact Tesla doesn’t allow that isn’t a concern.

5. I don’t qualify for the $7,500 tax credit on a finance due to income.

6. I plan on keeping the model X for 3 years at the max on lease or finance.

Are there any pitfalls/negatives I am missing?

Absolutely not.

3 Likes

First of all, don’t get the Model X. But if you must get it, do not lease it. Finance is the way to go.

2 Likes

In SoCal with 7.5% tax rate, it’s $3k das and $1438/mo. It will be a little higher in VA where you pay tax on the full value of the vehicle. Tesla.com is pretty accurate on its estimates. It’s up to you to decide if it’s worth it.

If you do decide to lease it, don’t forget to also enroll in the iPhone upgrade program.

2 Likes

i dont really get it. didnt all the Model X lessors come out better due to the recent massive price drop?

Can you explain why?

What program is that? I am android though, will never go back to Apple so probably doesn’t matter

Any input to your response? A simple no doesn’t really help.

84mo finance is $1359/mo with 0 das.

1 Like

Longest I want to keep the X in either situation is 36 months.

Have you checked to see how much the lease vs finance costs is?

1 Like

When I put $0 down for both the payment is the same. Money isn’t my biggest concern. I like the predictabilty of a lease. Plus I like knowing I can get a new car with new tech/looks/hardware every 3 years.

Which is? Does it make sense to do either? I’d bet the answer is obvious for most people.

1 Like

If the finance versus lease price is the same, then finance is the way to go from What I’ve seen. It’s a no brainer.

1 Like

Sell it in 3 years or even before since money is not a concern. I say this as someone who has leased for almost a decade. If the price between the cars I’ve had was the same for lease and finance, I would have financed.

1 Like

What? When I put the lease to $0 down, 36 months, and 15K miles the payment is the same for a finance of 72 months and $0 down also.

Which is how much?

I guess the advantage of a lease is not going through the reselling hassle and not having to worry about negative equity.

Well, the lease is $10 cheaper at $1,522 compared to $1,533 for finance.

As I previously said above, the answer is obvious. No sane person would consider paying $1500+/mo for any Model X.

3 Likes