Should I lease a car with hail damage?

I received an attractive offer for a hail damaged loaner with 4k miles on it. Total savings compared to a similar brand new car are around 2k for a 36 month lease which I consider significant.
Dealer repaired hail damage using “paintless dent repair” and sells as a new car.
There is no visible damage to a naked eye except a very small dent on a window trim and a scratch on a steering wheel.
Should I lease it or stay away? Any recommendations?

1 Like

Take it. Really doesn’t make a difference if you’re getting a good deal out of it and it’s a leased car. If anything it’s a blessing.

2 Likes

100% agree, extra discount, and don’t buy the car end of term imo. Is this the Mazda you mentioned earlier in the xt5 thread?

2 Likes

No, this one is 400/month.

I had the option to take a hail damaged car in 2017 when I was shopping hellcats, ultimately didn’t take it for two reasons, one was that the hail damaged the stripes and bumper and they didn’t repair it properly (paintless dent repair) but you could still see the imperfections/old stripes were a little faded, number two it was only $20 a month cheaper.

Seems like your repair job was done right and for a regular car that you’re not anal about it, jump at that offer, maybe wheel and deal and take a shot at going for some more off, either way that’s a good find by nearly $55 a month.

Post details of the lease, otherwise we can’t evaluate

400/month is a lot for a Mazda. I don’t know what this months numbers are but Mazda’s were leasing very well recently if you have loyalty. Do you have the details?

$400/month is waayyyyyy too much for a demo, damaged cx9

That’s like $600/mo more than it would take to get me to drive that piece of crap again

4 Likes

This is approximately what the offer looked like and I think it’s a very good deal for 2020 CX-9 GT in Texas because you need to pay sales tax upfront. Similar brand-new car without issues would cost me around 462$/month. Unfortunately, I don’t have Mazda loyalty. What would you buy instead in this price range with stop & go cc, ventilated seats, HUD, 360 camera, remote start? I’m open for suggestions.

Why not ask for a tax credit (if the dealer has any to give) in addition to the discount?

Unfortunately, they don’t have any. I asked for $380/month and they let me walk away. So it seems like that’s all they could do.

It is quite a lot for a CX-9. @mllcb42 would probably not recommend that car, especially at that price.

If you are looking for a 3-row SUV, maybe @derekoh1991 can help on something like a Highlander?

TFS does tax credit randomly through the year. Changes vehicle selectively per month.
Ally does not do tax credit and US Bank may do tax credit, but the problem is the tax in Texas.

I think the deal with Mazda is a great deal. You should take it.

2 Likes

For having full tax and no incentives it’s not a bad deal. I love mine.

Wait: what?

Is the damage repaired? I’ve gotten more than 2K knocked off for misaligned doors.

Curious why you disliked the car so much? I cross shopped the CX9 GT against a number of cars including the XC90 and X3 and wound up picking it because compared to the rates at the time on the Volvo’s and BMWs it was a much better value, great interior and lots of kid friendly features that you couldn’t get without a custom build (sunshades!).

3 years in I’m still very happy with it, my biggest complaint was seat padding on drives over 3 hours started to fatigue my legs since I’m very tall.

Here’s a hint… :grin:

1 Like

Interesting. I hadn’t had issues with the infotainment and backup camera, by the time I start the car adjust the ac I’m good to go. The Volvo also had horrible entertainment lag at the time. They redid their unit when they released CarPlay so I might’ve had a slightly later generation? By comparison it takes me way longer to change profiles in my wife’s X5 because you have to enter a PIN number if you forget your key fob.

I like the 2.5 row aspect. Its big enough for me to fit 3 kids and 4 adults the couple of times I need it.

For me I just loved the overall interior quality, the kid friendly stuff (throw up looks great stuck inside perforated Nappa leather) and the steering and handling. Doesn’t hurt that it’s a good looking thing either. Not that the Volvo’s are bad.

400 for a hail damaged Mazda? Pass …

Lmao one time I got a dealer to price match a unit that was hailed damaged from a diff dealer and they gave me a new unit with no damage for the same price :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes