Should I lease a car with hail damage?

When is the next hailstorm in MA to hit an Audi or Bmw dealer who keeps the 8 series outside? I will try this trick …

4 Likes

At the time, I had an S90.

The Volvo lag was nothing compared to the CX9. When I say multiple minutes to start up, I’m not exaggerating, I timed it at 2-3 minutes several times. When Mazda updated the infotainment in it, it got better… down to ~90 seconds on a bad day. Even when working the infotainment is miserable though. Maybe if Mazda updated the UI from 2013 it’d be better.

That’s weird. Was yours a 2017? I have a 2018 which was the same hardware they later added CarPlay to. Personally I have no big issues with it and I’m a UX designer so I can be very nit picky. They very closely ripped off iDrive 5 which I had no issues with.

But I wouldn’t let that sway new buyers esp if you prefer CarPlay.

The size for me plus wife and kid was perfect. I’m 6’4 and the CX5 was too small.

Volvo lag isn’t that bad anymore IMO. I love the infotainment and spotify integration, and the layout is pretty comprehensible for the smartphone using generations.

Volvo infotainment lag is 15 seconds at most. Everything on the display is extremely quick and the A.I. voice features actually comprehend quite a bit.

Nothing beats that Audi Virtual Cockpit though.

Right but teleport back in time to 2018, all of those model years had different CPUs and software from what we’re talking about today. At the time Volvo was clunkier (watch some old Savagegeese videos and he whines about it too).

That’s why I’m just saying keep that in mind for a new buyer. I don’t rip on BMW just because of IDrive 1 :wink:

1 Like

Is that 14.5% off of MSRP pre-incentives or after? Have you checked the incentives in Edmunds? You shouldn’t be adding rebates to discounted price like what you did in your calculations (if there is any). I consider a total of 14.5%, combined with incentives, not good at all for a demo car that is hail damage and I think you don’t either because you said 16.7% discounts off of MSRP (combined with incentives) is too bad for a cadillac XT5, not to mention the cadillac is giving tax credits on top of the discounts! which if you add the tax credits to the discounts that would be about 23% discount. Didn’t you?!

My S90 was an 18. The CX-9 was a 17. The s90 was significantly faster.

Volvo aside, something was definitely up with the CX9 then. I just started mine up for the first time in a few days and it was 20 seconds from ignition to fully usable (without clicking and accepting the warning disclaimer). Sounds like you got the bad end of a software update.

It takes time to refine something that technologically advanced. The question is if Mazda is even making those refinements.

That was after the software update too. It was worse before hand.

Slow infotainment systems are a very well documented issue with mazda for years.

Every manufacturer and individual line usually has some variance. Mazda for a non-Luxury Brand I would say is doing a reasonable job. Like I mentioned if you prefer to use CarPlay it also takes a lot out of the equation but I’ve had really zero issues with their infotainment other than being unable to delete XM presets after the lineup changes (the radio will try to select the channel then stops moving and there’s no way to delete the bad channel) or the fact that you can’t control the rear HVAC nearly as easy as a BMW or others.

Nav has worked well comparing with Google maps on several trips I took with both running simultaneously, overall response is adequate (not nearly as fast as IDrive 6 or 7, but close to what the F30 early 3 series had).

But comparing to the stuff I’ve used in similar gen (214-2018) VW/Acura/Nissan/Toyota/Jeep/Subaru I have no issues recommending it. Not to mention the one advantage it has of physical buttons for HVAC and seats.

1 Like

One thing I know for sure about Mazda as a current lessee, they cannot be trusted. I remember when I leased my 2017 mazda CX5 GT with premium package. I was told and promised by the dealer that Mazda has announced they will release a free software update for all 2017 CX-5 models in less than 6 months which will add Apple CarPlay to infotainment system as at that time Mazda 6 models already had carplay. Just a software update. I can’t remember I was waiting for that to happen for 2.5 years and guess what that never happened. I first thought the dealer has lied to me but no because there were millions of people on the internet and Mazda forums talking about how many times Mazda has promised they are releasing the software updates but they broke their promises every time and postponed it to a few months later.

1 Like

Yup, we were told the same and left waiting for years for carplay

1 Like

One more question. I mentioned in my post that there was a scratch on the steering wheel and a small dent on the window trim. Below are some pictures. Should I worry about that? Is this going to be an issue at lease return? I don’t want to pressure the dealer to fix it or document it if it’s considered normal wear and tear during inspection. I don’t want them to back out of the offer if it’s not a big deal. What would you do?

1 Like

Window trim you’ll get dinged for. Have them fix it.

7 Likes

Actually, have them go thru everything and fix them before you take the vehicle home. If they refuse, I will get you the Rav4 or Highlander.

6 Likes

Depending on the deployment of these features as part of the infotainment instead of physical buttons, it can be a great solution. I never have a problem with any of these features in Volvo’s display.

2 Likes

The reason they gave you a huge discount is not because you were getting a great deal but because your car isn’t worth MSRP. Discounts vary widely by car model. For example, you can get 17% off on Sienna but good luck getting at least 10% on new Highlander. Cars with higher discounts usually have lower residuals. I don’t care how much off of MSRP I get if my cost of ownership is low.

You can use voice commands to adjust AC in a Volvo. And a lot more.