“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

Tesla can buy a VW but don’t expect any equity as VW will give them a market amount.

That’s what I thought. Back to the VW dealer I go.

Thanks for the shoutout. you can use the link on my thread and fill out the form. i normally provide a buyout offer within 20 minutes or so.

thanks

I live in Virginia. I leased a car for the first time 3 years ago, a 2020 Audi A6 Prestige model. In Virginia, we have to pay sales taxes upfront on the value of the lease, so that’s done. I used a broker on here to navigate the deal and it turned out I leased from a dealer about 45 minutes from me. That matters I think for some of the tax stuff. Because I expected to drive a lot of miles, I front-loaded/pre-paid for 15k miles per year. As it turns out, I’m nearing the end of lease with 17,000 miles on the car. Thanks Covid. Barely used it.

Anyhow, the lease expires in about 60 days. The residual value is $36k. Carmax offered me $42k. I believe the car has a 4 year warranty so we have 1 more year of covered warranty to go.

I’m considering buying out the lease and either keeping it for 1 year under warranty (then seeing how leases are), or buying it and then immediately selling it to Carmax or someone else for a little profit. I would then turn around and lease another car.

As a first time leaser, I’m unfamiliar with extending a lease. Not sure if that’s something I should consider as I’m otherwise happy with the vehicle.

Thank you.

The easiest thing to do is call AFS and inquire about extending your lease: how long can you? Does RV change for additional months paid (probably not)? In VA you want to ask about your PPT and if that comes due during the extension how they handle that.

You can also extend the warranty if you want to.

LH Fam -

I have a 2020 AMG C300 (51K MSRP) with 19k miles on it. My lease is up end of August so I’m in decision mode now. Residual is 26.5K (if you add NJ taxes that’s 28.2ish + any other dealer fees so let’s just say 29k in the end).

Long story short …vROOM tags this car at like 31K a few weeks ago. Could maybe get 32-33 private party.

Given the info above, if my original goal was to get an SUV or possibly get an electric sedan , has the market incrementally improved enough for me to do that now? Or would you just buy and hold for 6 months to a year and wait it out? Last thing I want to do is enter an inflated long term lease again…

Last question is, if I do finance it do you guys feel I should do MBFS, or any general recommendations on lower rates for someone with premium credit?

Quick edit: is there any tricks I need to watch out for from the dealer if I do buy it out? it seems I can buy the car out through MBFS , so not exactly sure how the dealer and MBFS coordinate…

Give me your wisdom lads …

Trade it in for a 13month eqs lease

Narrow it down as to what exactly you want for your next car then do some research on here as to what they’re leasing for. “SUV or electric sedan” could be hundreds of different cars.

If you can buy your lease directly from MBFS then there is no need to involve the dealer, at all. You arrange financing on your own, send the money directly to MBFS using the instructions online, they send you the title. The dealer has nothing to do with this.

No reason to finance with MBFS unless they were to offer the best rate and terms. You just need to shop around, take a look at the below thread.

This is my first lease and asking a more of… tire question: I have 7 more months left on my '21 3-Series 36 months lease with currently 19k miles and my tires are almost done.

As per BMW lease return, “acceptable wear is a minimum of 4/32 of an inch of depth from the finish tread” and a set of tires (19", Runflat with BMW star logo) would get me close to $1.5k with tax and labor.

I have not yet decided if I would want to keep the car or return it (trying to make my decision now) but I’m also considering if I should I return the car before the lease end (used car values are quite good now) as last thing I want is to pay $1.5k for new tires at the end of the lease.

My tires now are pretty bad in the wet weather and I don’t even feel confident driving the car when raining (fortunately not much rain in the summer)

Obviously I would replace the tires if I choose to buy out the lease.

Current payoff info:

As per KBB value, I should be able to buy it out and sell it without much of an issue.

Without getting into the tire issues, I would not assume that this would be easy to buy out yourself and sell, if your payoff is $36k and KBB private party estimate is $38k. Not a lot of room there.

Even if the KBB value is close that’s going to be a huge PITA for $2k of equity and most potential buyers are going to notice the tires that need replacing.

If you dont want to keep the car your best bet is going to be to just sell it directly a BMW dealer. Get offers to see what theyll give you.

Yes these offers will be lower than KBB private party, but even if you can make it be a wash you at least will not have to replace the tires, pay dispo fee, and/or deal with buying it and trying to sell it yourself.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ve contacted my BMW dealer to see what they’ll provide.

I think I would be happy if BMW would just take it back the way it is so I would avoid driving 7 more months, put more wear on tires and then spend $1.5k when returning it.

The alternative as you said is more hassle with finding a buyer; I would not be looking for profit but to just break even (e.g. $38k KBB value - $2k for new tires)

btw that’s 4 in the middle, AutoVin checks All treads (especially the side ones) to get the min value

My rear tires are actually the worse ones as the front ones are not on yellow yet.

Rear tires measurement front and sides

Front tires

What size are your tires that a set is $1,500?

What would you get if you sold the car?

interesting, must be overinflated or you don’t like taking corners fast :slight_smile:

They were always at the recommended tire pressure (it shows on infotainment and BMWs algorithm seems to also adjust recommended pressure with temperature; also recommended pressure is 35/42 PSI front/rear if it makes any difference) and since we have the dog yes, 3-Series became less of a corner fast car as I can hear a lot of unhappiness.

225/40/R19 All Seasons runflats (Bridgestone Turanza LS100A) with BMW star logo; I got some online quotes for a similar OEM tire and is close to $1.5k including labor and tax (non-OEM branded ones aren’t much cheaper either).

See above for the KBB quote; around $38k on what they say but who knows in reality.
Carmax quoted me $31k and Carvana $33k.

No, what replacement would you get?

PS any brand RFT will do, no star required.

Went to BMW and they can take the car back with only me to pay $350 disposition fee.

Anything RFT All Season from a good brand like Michelin, GoodYear, etc.