“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

Thanks both!

Is there a guide or something I can read up to understand how a lease transfer works? I mean, I could post on that thread but I wouldn’t know what to do afterwards.

About the equity, do I really have any? With the sales tax it seems to be the same as the offers.

I’m sure there are plenty of write-ups on the internet. The process isn’t much more complicated than calling up BMWFS and filling out their forms.

1 Like

If you sell it to a dealer you don’t pay sales tax.

Assuming this is a RWD 330?

yes, RWD; M-Sport in Portimao Blue :slight_smile:

Deciding if I should buy out my lease on a 2023 Audi Q5e Premium Plus from Audi Financial (36/12,000)

MSRP: 66,165
Residual 57% (37,714)
MF: .00336 (awful, I know)
Monthly Payment: 885 (only made 1 payment so far at purchase)
DAS: 3,444 (1,029 applied towards purchase price) and 7500 EV credit
36mo Audi Care
Disposition: 495 if not waived

I can buyout the lease w/credit union at 5.04% over 72mo for $931/month
Payoff Quote Details
Residual Value $37,714
Residual/Payoff Tax $2,226
Remaining Future Payments $28,733
Lease Charge Rebate -$10,956
Payoff Amount $57,717
California Sales Tax 7.75% so I’ll owe another $2,074 at DMV

Obviously it makes sense assuming the residual holds, especially if I keep for longer than 36 months. I’m just concerned about buying a German Lux SUV and buying anything with a battery.

I want to trade in my MY19 C300 for a new Mercedes. My lease has matured on April 14 and I am in grace period until tomorrow, April 24. I live in Georgia and pay Ad Valorem Taxes. I have two questions:

1. Am I still eligible for the current $1500 Loyalty Incentive
  2. Will they waive the taxes on the new lease or is there any other benefit other than offered incentives?

Last fall the Enterprise Car Sales office near me was giving KBB Trade-In value (Good Condition) for the 3 vehicles I had them appraise. (With room to increase if you bought another vehicle from them.) They used the KBB website as their quote engine. I didn’t sell anything to them so not sure if they tried any shenanigans for those people who sold.

1 Like

Jeep 2020 Cherokee 4WD, limited package, 2.0L Turbo

Lease Period: Nov 2019 - May 29, 2023
Mileage: 44,100 (allowed = 52000)
Residual value: 17528
Buyout Price: 17936 + 350 = 18286
Carvana offer: 22,500ish
PA sales tax: 6%
Lender: Satan (ie. US Bank)

Considering buying out myself and then selling on carvana or to another dealer. My dealer offered to ground the lease but won’t give me any additional money or trade-in credit.

Questions:

1. Do I pay sales tax on the residual value, the buyout price, or something else? Is the salestax set by my state (ie. Pennsylvania 6%)

2. I have a home-equity line of credit - thinking of just using that to buy it out and then immediately selling it so as not to accrue interest. Or do you recommend getting an auto-loan for some other reason?

3. If you were me, would you consider grounding the lease or do you think the dealer is taking me for a ride by not offering me anything for it? This is the most hassle-free option, but I’d be leaving money on the table, right?

4. If you were me, would you sell now, drop to 1 vehicle and wait til later this year for better deals? IE black friday? We can go without 2 cars for a while, but don’t want to put off buying if car prices are only going to get worse. I know this is subjective…

5. If I buy the lease out, then I am not obligated to fix any dings/dents/issues that turn up in the appraisal report, right? Since I am buying out the lease, then no one can force me to say put new tires on it as I would have to do if returning to the dealer, right?

Bonus: am considering dropping to a sedan, main concern being winter. Anyone have recommendations on a good winter sedan - SUVs are close to out of budget. Any links or starting info would help me a lot.

Thanks wizards!

Subaru Impreza + $800 on winter tires.

NJ but leased in PA.

Hi! its been a while since I have posted here but always value the insight and advice received. Ally lease end in July buy out is 32,000 (no judging) we leased for monthly payment. At lease end truck should be about 2k+ over in miles. Truck is in great shape. Maintained. Added running boards and remote start. Bed cover with very small crack. Not sure what to do. Keep and than try to sell? Walk into another lease ? (dont have $$ to put down) Any input advice would be greatly appreciated!

Go to Carvana, Carmax, Vroom and get some pricing of how much it’s worth.
Though a buyout of $32k is probably not going to even come close.

Remove the Running boards and sell them.
You are going to eat the remote start as that’s more difficult to remove.

If the offers are over (Say by at least 4k) then it’s worth it. Otherwise, pay the over miles and return it.

What’s the overage charge on 2k miles - $400? If all the steps @forbs suggested don’t bear fruit, then it’s not a tremendous amount of money.

I was ~10K over on my 2020 Tacoma lease (TFS) last August (would have been $1800 in overage) and was able to get out of it via trade-in where they gave me more than was owed (matched my best 3rd party offer from Enterprise Car Sales) + a tax savings to boot as I purchased a new truck.

Before you jump into another lease, consider whether this strategy is saving or costing you money.

1. Repeated cycles of 24-36m leases

Vs.

1. Repeated cycles of 60-72m financing on a brand new vehicle, followed by trading in for another brand new vehicle, using the equity to lower both your subsequent loan amount as well as your tax basis.

My guess is one strategy is costing you many thousands of dollars over the other, long term.

Hi, I am new to the forum and glad I found it.

Currently, I drive a 330 xDrive which I love. The lease is coming to maturity in July so I am starting to evaluate some options. I leased it for 643/mo including tire and rim insurance + 3-year Service program.
I am trying to cut down the monthly payment a little bit so I can also finance a small car for my teenage son. Hence I thought about purchasing my car at the end of the lease financing the purchase and keeping it for ~5 years or so. The car is only 20k miles (with a lease of 30k). I live in NY state and the payoff value of the car today 2 months in the lease still, is $33.2K.

My questions are: 1) If I want to finance the purchase at the end of the lease, can I do it through BMW Financial Services? 2) What would be the expected monthly payment for 60 or 72 months? 3) Do I need to consider any out-of-pocket costs? taxes? 3) Would you recommend that or go for a new lease (probably would need to be a much lower category)

Oh man
@HN308 had amazing lease options for 5 series just a week ago

He still has one remaining

But yeah you can buy out your lease (residual plus unpaid payments and taxes)

1 Like

Do this. 5 series for less than your 3 series lease was.

Also, look around online for what similar mileage and year 3 series are going for. A quick search shows a few available listed cheaper than your buyout price.

There’s this about buying out your lease:

There’s this about financing options:

Do you have a good independent mechanic? Even if you drive relatively few miles, I would be hesitant to buyout a German car w/ the plan to drive it for another 5-6 yrs w/o that.

Do you have any positive equity in the car (I kind of doubt it, but…)?

Do you plan to keep the 3-series for that long?

Honestly, if you’re willing to spend that amount of money to buy out your car, I personally would rather sell your car and finance something for yourself that will likely retain more value over time and be cheaper to maintain (like an Accord, which should still drive nicely).

wrong person??

Oh, could’ve sworn my post was a response to @Miguel_CG. Maybe something got disconnected when the thread was combined?

1 Like