Should I buy a 2018-2020 RR Sport with 35k miles for $50-55k or lease a new 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Price range: $50k
Lease or Buy: Either
New or used: Either
Type of vehicle: Luxury Sport SUV
Must haves: Reliability (if bought), sporty, decent fuel efficiency would be nice (20+ MPG)
Desired transmission (auto/manual, etc): Auto
Intended use: Daily Driver
Vehicles you’ve already considered: '19-'20 Range Rover Sport, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '19 Porsche Cayenne
Is this your 1st vehicle: No
Do you need a Warranty: Yes

Currently have a 2018 Audi a5 Sportback. Would need new tires and brakes soon (I’m at 35k current mileage). I understand the used car market is dipping and the offers for my Audi keep getting slashed. I don’t want to pay for new tires and brakes so looking to get something different. A company called Algo just offered me $27,500. CarMax was at $27,000 a couple of weeks ago but now dropped their offer to $25,400 so I am inclined to take the Algo offer.

I’m 6 foot 3 and it’s time for an SUV. Current leasing market seems kind of absurd. I own my Audi outright. I’d like to stay at the same if not better quality compared to my Audi. Was looking at a used CPO 2019 Range Rover Sport, Porsche Cayenne, or lease a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Seems like for $50-55k I’d be getting a CPO with ~40,000 miles. I would probably finance the CPO car if I buy, and plan to drive it until the warranty expires (extend the factory warranty?).

Any suggestions or insight?

Then a used RR is the last thing you want to buy.

17 Likes

Ive been very happy with my GC 4xe

2 Likes

If you want big/reliable/luxury, grab a Lexus GX460. V8 so your fuel efficiency wont be amazing but it also wont break lol

2 Likes

2018-2020 RRS as a purchase is a synonym for a mistake.

2 Likes

Can OP buy it from carmax and get their extended warranty? Only way I would think about buying a used one of these is if it was cheap and had a warranty up to 100k miles.

Still a mistake. Think of the headache, after some fiascos I try to avoid going to the dealer period sans picking up a car or dropping it off and getting a loaner for scheduled work.

Probably will be the outlier here but I’d find a CPO RRS and roll the dice. If CPO, the coverage is second to none and even if you have to use it you bring it in and leave in a loaner - what’s not to like? I would personally prefer a RRS to a GC, or anything FCA for that matter.

They don’t seem to be moving very quickly so I’m sure you would be able to find a workable deal on an aged unit with some hunting. Bonus points if you find a private seller (CPO transfers).

Everytime I’ve taken a car in for service in the last ~2 years there’s been no loaners. I had to tweak out on my LR dealer to finally give me a loaner after my defender had spent over a month in the shop & had no ETA on parts coming in still

And my local Jeep dealer, as long as I plan ahead, has been able to get me into a loaner when the GC is in for service.

I had a 2016 RR Sport with the V8 which was a phenomenal vehicle. I bought extended warranty just in case and used it once but didn’t get money’s worth. I drove it 90,000 miles without any major hiccups.

Just be aware even CPO has certain exclusions, for example any issues with airbag system is not covered. Also what was annoying was LR dealer wanted to charge diagnostic fee and if something was found they would refund and if not they kept it.

Still have a soft spot for Ranges but agree it’s not for the faint of heart maintenance wise.

Wait your must have on a purchase is reliability and you’re considering what is probably the most unreliable manufacture in existence?

1 Like

I owned 2 second gen rrs (both diesels) and I am biased. I loved them and they never gave me any problems. Their CPO warranty was amazing, truly bumper to bumper. But your mileage may vary obviously they have a bad reputation for a reason. I ended up making money on both of them but that was a fluke because of covid market. I think tco on one now would be pretty high.

You’ve also made said jeep dealer 100k+ in the last 2 years :joy::joy:

1 Like

Haha. Haven’t bought a car from my closest to home dealer.

If I got my car serviced at Ourisman, I’d expect a hellcat or 392 waiting for me!

3 Likes

Yea I guess it really depends on your local dealer network. Have heard nothing but good things about our local one but I’m sure some don’t fit that mold.

1 Like

Let’s be frank, there’s nothing really sporty about a RRS or a GC. Once we get that throwaway condition out of the way, the most obvious solution is a Lexus RX.

Otherwise increase your budget to an Acura MDX Type S.

1 Like

As far as I know , RR cpo warranty is only 1 year after the original expires. Up until a few years ago it was 2 years and selling dealer had options to extend to 3 years .

Surprisingly, SUVs dont always have the most legroom. There is more legroom in my son’s 2011 328i than in my 2021 QX50, my 2005 Nissan Titan or my old 2005 Ford Expedition. My 2022 Ram 1500 with a front split bench is the most comfortable by far as there is no console.

V6 RRS I would agree is not sporty, but the V8 with 510 hp was pretty sporty. I had it ECU tuned to 605 hp.

I had an MDX Type S and hated it. Wasn’t very sporty and got like 16 mpg with a small gas tank. I was filling it up 2-3 times a week and cut my losses after three months on a $72k MDX before I knew the market would drop.

1 Like