Should I buy a 2018-2020 RR Sport with 35k miles for $50-55k or lease a new 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

I used to drive an Audi A5 Sportback but sold it a week ago and am now without a car. I don’t drive much so borrowing a family members’ car when needed. Planned to be in a new SUV almost immediately but I am indecisive and can use some pushing…

I have been looking at a 2020 Range Rover Sport, Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5. Ideally, I will finance something with zero down, CPO, sub 40k miles, for $55k or less before taxes/fees.

I’m not in love with it, but an alternate choice would be to lease a new 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They have a good deal going on right now, something like $399/month with $3500 down, 7,500 miles per year, 24 months on a 4xe (hybrid) Jeep GC $60k MSRP. Went to the dealership and test drove, it was alright but I’m sure nothing compared to one of the 3 other choices above.

My mind is going in circles here but obviously need to pull the trigger on something ASAP. Any insight is very much appreciated.

Buying any one of those used is not a good idea imo.

6 Likes

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

It’s really hard to pick a car for someone else.

You could always do a 13-month MB lease, to buy some time while you figure this out.

Or pick up something on SAL with < a year left.

1 Like

In a similar situation. I think buying an X5 or Cayenne should be reasonably safe in terms of maintenance and reliability. Especially since it sounds like you’re not putting a lot of miles on them. Especially so if you’re getting a CPO or buy an extended warranty on your own. I’d personally avoid the phev trims of the X5 and Cayenne if you’re worried about reliability. (Although technically the electric drivetrain has a 7/8 year warranty. Just seems like a potential pain to deal with)

I drove the GC 4xe and just wasn’t that impressed with the interior feel of the Base. The Overland and especially the Summit felt much, much nicer. But even so the 4cyl engine in it just sounded unrefined. Not as much of a problem though if you’re always fully charged up and going short distances.

1 Like

This is arguably a bubble that hasn’t popped yet. You don’t want to be left holding the bag.

Go with the GC 4xe if it has to be a lease.

Otherwise a financed Pilot or Telluride at sticker will hold its value much better and ironically depreciate much less than any of the used cars you’re considering.

Plus the tech we take for granted on a brand 2023 model for $55k plus TTL, so much of that is going to be missing on a 2020 X5 or Cayenne.

1 Like

I can’t think of any of the latest tech that a used $50k x5 can’t be had with – adaptive cruise, 3d camera, big screen with wireless carplay, digital dash, nice ambient lighting, adaptive suspension, reasonably decent mpg for its size (the B58 in the x5 is awesome) and if you really want you can spend a few more $ and get a 45e/e-hybrid. Only tech I can think of that you can’t get is the high speed, handsfree cruise (e.g. blue cruise, super cruise, etc).

And on the flip side, the overall feel and refinement of an X5/Cayenne is above a Pilot and even a top-trim Telluride.

Having said all that, I haven’t pulled the trigger on one since I do also worry that the values are still pretty inflated. There’s tons of these cars that seem to be languishing on dealer lots.

Have you considered just asking someone to kick you in the nads? I think that would be more pleasant than dealing with a 4 year old version of any of those headaches.

6 Likes

Do a search within a reasonable radius of where you live and LMK how many you find

I have. Like I said I’ve been looking pretty actively. Much of the tech in that list above is standard on an X5. Adaptive cruise an 3d camera were pretty popular options.
Cayenne is a different story of course. Probably $60k ish.

1 Like

I had a 2016 RR sport that I drove for 6 years 90k miles without major issue. As long as it didn’t strand me I could deal. Loved the way the car drove and looked. Would never own out of warranty though which I extended at purchase.

Difficult decision to make for sure. I’d wager used values are still inflated for these cars. Just make sure you get one that’s CPO or know a great Indy shop.

2 Likes
  1. RR Sport - roll the dice and either get JMMZKDTH’s experience or be like most of my friends who have had their brand new RR’s in the shop for most of their life. If you choose this I’d look into the most comprehensive warranty possible (with a sizable loaner budget for when the car is in the shop lol).

2. Porsche Cayenne - fantastic car, but you won’t be thinking it’s so fantastic when the first service comes due. With the mileage you’re looking at there will be some bigger items that need replacing. Biiiig money if anything goes wrong. Set aside some extra money if you choose this one. There’s a reason the base Cayenne loses ~40% of its value after 3 years. If the size works, consider a newer Macan S with lower miles for the same price.

3. BMW X5 - probably the safest bet. Not as exciting as the other two but guessing more reliable. Not familiar with it’s costs or reliability.

1 Like

BMW - Buy More Warranty. When I worked at BMW, it was unusual for someone to trade one in without an oil leak. It usually isn’t catastrophic, but you will spend money repairing leaks.

Find a good Indy mechanic for the Cayenne and if you stay current on the yearly maintenance, you will be good. But it will be expensive if anything goes. Get CPO and add +1 for $2700.

I don’t want to touch a RR in warranty, let alone one without.

1 Like

THEY’RE BEAUTIFUL!
Kevin Hart Whatever GIF

1 Like

Totally… loved my cayenne, but dropped it as soon as the extended warranty expired. Had a nagging oil leak Porsche couldn’t fix. 3 tries, couple of months in the shop, had to drop the engine and transmission… still couldn’t get it right.

1 Like

Any current gen Cayenne <$55k isn’t something I’d be looking at. Its going to be pretty stripped of options and probably have high mileage. Just remember, Porsches don’t come standard with many basic features like keyless entry.

But if you go for it, make sure it’s got the 4 year service done (it’s like $2500+), fuller tread tires (a set of tires for these ain’t cheap) and a good warranty or CPO as previously mentioned.

1 Like

Is this available nationwide? Was just browsing the site & didn’t see much on it.

Good point now that you mention it, my neighbor’s had two Cayenne’s (S from 2019 and base coupe from 2021) and ended up cutting bait with both because of nagging problems the dealerships couldn’t identify or fix.

I’m firmly in the “used bubble hasn’t popped yet” camp. I’d lease something short term before buying used right now.