Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

Crazy…… I say these will be dirt cheap by the end of the year as the hydrogen infrastructure is just not there. There seems to be as many pending stations as ones that are functioning and even the one’s that are functioning either run into some type of issue or run out of hydrogen like every other week.

there is 15k manufacturer to dealer cash on purchases but no lease support or else we will be seeing offers from Cody on their Mirai sitting in the lot.

1 Like

We still don’t know what MSRP will be but presumably it is coming down with the removal of features tied to the tip shortage. The contract was written as 6% (approx) off the final MSRP.

Were none of those standard features?

Mercedes (Porsche too) is big with packages and stand-alone options. With the possible exception of the hands free rear hatch release, everything else was an option.

1 Like

Pumpkin :jack_o_lantern: spice season may have been earlier, but expect other holidays to start pushing-out

3 Likes

You beat me to the punch. NYT had a similar article. What a interconnected world giveth an interconnected world can take away.

The World Is Still Short of Everything. Get Used to It. Supply Chain Shortages Continue Around the World. Get Used to It. - The New York Times

2 Likes

All because of the US’s monetary policy…

3 Likes

Here’s hoping we unwind our relocation of our suppliers to China and are able to bring some of the higher value manufacturing back, or at least in this hemisphere.

5 Likes

Bmw M4

MSRP 79k
Market adjustment 15k

Dealer price 94k…

2 Likes

“When I talk to my peer at Cisco, who doesn’t have any manufacturing facilities—the only control they have over their output is through the supply chain. They said, ‘let me get this right. You ran a just-in-time system for key electronic components? You had no buffer stock?’” As it turns out, the answer was yes. Unlike other companies outside the auto industry, Ford and many others ordered exactly what they needed and nothing else. When the well of chips ran dry, well, it was dry. “‘Don’t you guys get it?’” Farley said, speaking in the shoes of a Cisco executive. “‘We used to do that and it doesn’t work.’”

4 Likes

what’s he supposed to say?? “hey, we’re fucked! short my stock!!”

8 Likes

It works, if your Toyota. The industry as a whole needs to stop copying TMC methodology when and where it chooses. Just in time manufacturing but half my suppliers are not in house or have some form of controlling stake.

But hey I heard the folks in TMC do this “just in time manufacturing” we have to try out

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/toyota-will-cut-global-output-40-chip-shortage

1 Like

It works until it doesn’t!!!
get that work GIF by Clipping.

But Toyota wasn’t actually doing just in time for chips.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2B1005

They were actually much better prepared than most other automakers. They just didn’t have enough of a buffer to get through 8 months of chip shortages.

5 Likes
2 Likes

at least Camaro line is still working … LT1 frenzy continues.

2 Likes