Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

Should it have it’s own thread?

P.S. - I guess someone made it

On another note. Just browsed several Atlanta area Volvo dealers and see that their inventory seems better than the last couple of months with an influx of ‘22 models mostly XC60’s. What even more interesting is that a couple of these dealers have a subscribe price on the vehicle page.
Probably not an indicator of the market but just an FYI

This is likely Volvo subscription offer: https://www.volvocars.com/us/care-by-volvo/. This can be a viable short term option. A few folks have reported going with this.

yeah I know but never saw this being advertised from the dealers themselves - pretty interesting

google care by Volvo, all the google ads are dealers advertising the subscriptions

The struggle is real out there. I needed to use my free maintenance visit on my Bolt before it expired. The Chevy dealer had 73 total cars on the lot. 45 of those were new cars. The Buick/GMC dealer across the street had 34 “new” cars, 7 of which were retired loaners. These are both pretty big local dealerships on a major roadway that usually have several hundred.

2 Likes

could be worse. bridgewater chevy is gone. RIP.

Edit so is Bridgewater lexus

6 Likes

No surprise here really.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/bmw-ceo-chip-supply-remain-tight-months?cmpid=FNC_app#

My lease ends in December 2022… I thought I’d be able to outlast the shortage, but I’m getting worried.

2 Likes

Until 2023. @Ryan_S

I feel like their profit level is same or higher with less overhead, so the motivation isn’t quite there.

Yeah I thought it’d be done in time for me to get into something in April 2022. Guess I better get used to the idea of either paying more than I’d like or driving something I don’t really want to drive. Bummer.

Hey folks - thanks for all of the continued great information that comes from this site.

I have a lease ending in October - I can extend to December…

Does anyone have knowledge of the situation think the shortage and pricing will get better during that time, or will be relatively the same?

I have no confidence in my knowledge of the chip shortage or the car production slow down to project… but maybe someone does?!

Thanks!
J

Ford Europe’s Herrmann, meanwhile, estimates the chip shortage could continue through to 2024

The shortage is thought to have been exacerbated by the move to electric vehicles. For example, a Ford Focus typically uses roughly 300 chips, whereas one of Ford’s new electric vehicles can have up to 3,000 chips.

Who had “semiconductor shortage” as a reason EV acceptance could be hindered in their Bingo card?

2 Likes

Can’t worry about what will happen a year from now in the auto supply/demand market. Things could look completely different next summer if the US economy starts to tank. Or China could takeover Taiwan then all bets are off.

At some point competent and market share aggressive auto manufacturers (Hyundai/Kia and others) that have better planning and access to chips will continue to eat the lunch of those that aren’t as aggressive and competent (GM, Ford, others?).

Like I keep saying, the TV commercials continue nonstop for autos. Someone keeps forgetting to tell the sales & marketing departments that no new cars will ever again exist in our lifetime…

1 Like

My affordable dream car is an LC 500 at the moment. If leases are still looking like poop, I’ll bite the bullet on a used/CPO one provided the prices come back down to the ~55k or less level. If I gotta pay a lot, at least I’m driving something I’ll love. But hoping it recovers before then.

Oh man - just keeps getting dragged out

The same or worse

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/09/07/new-vehicle-sales-plunge-in-august-amid-historic-inventory-shortages-caused-by-production-cuts-as-chip-shortage-wreaks-havoc/

Working Super Troopers GIF

2 Likes