Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

Scroll up

Bmw wireless charger is beyond trash. My phone is constantly hot. And it’s in the most unusable place possible. Now the good news is you can buy an aftermarket wireless charger that fits in the arm rest and other places for your model and looks great.

2 Likes

It looks like wireless charging is still available on things like the M340i, but carbon fiber interior trim has been deleted from an X4 xDrive 30i and an X3M. More to come as it’s discovered.

1 Like

You can still equip Bowers on X7 M50is for the time being.

1 Like

That’s a new one. I didn’t realize carbon fiber was running low. I haven’t seen anyone mention that in other industries…

2 Likes

Wrong. Chip shortage will last until beginning of 2023

5 Likes

That may be so but I wouldn’t expect used car prices to continuously rise until then. GM is already restarting production of some models. I would think any increase in new car production would cause used car prices to begin to level off.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/05/27/business/general-motors-chip-shortage-factories.amp.html%3F0p19G=0232

1 Like

It really doesn’t matter id one starts producing. Still, the rest aren’t

1 Like
1 Like

I guess Home Depot was out of stock of sand bags for them to substitute in

3 Likes

They tried R-11 but it was too itchy. Fred’s twitter is melting down with a bunch of technophiles who just discovered a 6-month old shortage….

Model 3’s too, confirmed it for my upcoming delivery with the sales advisor. Per Elon, logs show that it was barely used.

I am confused on this one, am I supposed to have my passenger adjust their lumbar support every time they get into the car so that it would “make sense” for a manufacturer to keep it in?

3 Likes

I’m sure glad they’re keeping detailed records of every single button you press.

3 Likes

2 Likes

man ford, GM and CJDR did not see this coming. i know profitability is up on lower volume, so shareholders are content, but this isn’t sustainable in the long-run.

ps - removing the lumbar on the passenger side was pioneered by infiniti on the 2019 q50 because who cares about the passenger?

1 Like

that reminds me my fiance’s Maxima has heated seats, but a single cooled seat option for the driver only

Just catching up on this topic and I do revenue planning for a big tech company that manufactures hardware. I would expect the chip shortage to take longer than expected to end if the chip manufacturers are smart. We are experiencing a similar shortage because of surging demand and we also have long lead times due to wafer lead times. We also know that these demand levels are temporary so instead of investing in additional capex to add capacity only to become a burden in a year or two when the demand returns to normal, we are just raising prices in an unprecedented way. Our margins are through the roof and we do not carry any capex risk by keeping our manufacturing run rate flat.

8 Likes

Mostly agree with you on the economics of it, but there’s a lot of motivation to diversify away from TSMC and many other chip manufacturers want in on the action. TSMC seems committed to staying the big fish based on their $100B announcement.

These things take time though so existing lines will need to fix the chip shortage, not all the new investments announced.

You run the risk of losing market shares to your competitors and new players who enter the space due to the opportunities. This is the same dilemma every automaker is debating. Less vehicles = more profit but at the expensive of market share.

1 Like

dealers are seeing the same thing. theyre making much more on sales, but with fewer vehicles to sell, theyre going to be missing out on service and repairs, which has traditionally been the higher margin and more value-add business.

1 Like