Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

At this point they’re probably just throwing darts at a map of PRC and declaring edict for their own (party leaders) entertainment.

Can’t have the white guard getting out of practice now.

In a photo, inventories still way down

2 Likes

@jeisensc do you have a copy of that full report? I would like to read it if you are able to share.

It’s from GSAM, I either don’t have the entire report or can’t share it. That’s from one of the analysts I follow who probably should not have shared it on social media but did.

The PCE data in the report is lifted from Commerce, the Cox Auto data in that slide is aggregated from their monthly report on their website. CVNA and Vroom reported/held calls in August — those numbers may be from their financials (I’m not aware of them reporting units on hand to anyone, though it’s scrape-able).

https://www.bea.gov/data/personal-consumption-expenditures-price-index

The report may also cover inflation and macro trends. All speed bumps I passed trying to get more data on QT.

2 Likes

Auto inventories in my city just rose to a level not seen since December 2021.

1 Like

I am interested to get a new car and started to call around and check the market. I don’t know about lease deals but when it comes to purchase I had several luxury brand dealerships which were offering their cars (depending on the model) up to 5k below invoice. There are still several high demand cars which have high markups (e.g. G-Wagon, 911, Boxster/Cayman, Tundra etc) but many of the main stream luxury cars (Most Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Volvo) are going back with their selling price around invoice. The interest rates are certainly still pretty high but I am happy to see the trend and am hopeful that towards the end of the year we will see some great deals back.
What are the thoughts of the experts here? Do you all see the same or am I just lucky with my searches?

1 Like

In demand units from those manufacturers still not discounted and the major problem is the lack of incentives combined with rising rates. While you may get a discount, the leases we saw in 2017 & 2018 are long gone.

No need to post about the US rail strike that never was, but Liverpool dock workers strike is having some impacts

1 Like

Workers of the world unite!

No, not like that!!

1 Like

Your vendor dumps poison into one lousy sewer, suddenly you have 45k trucks stuck in WIP

Sell them without the badge so people can’t say the problem is circled.

3 Likes

You’d think the enterprising pull junk yards would be on the phone with Ford like

Pay Day Money GIF

4 Likes

GM is trying to create more battery supply using old batteries, and Canadians

:canada::recycle::battery:

Lets not pull a mitsubishi again please! No used parts at all

Every Ford will have a dozen recalls and TSBs - both of mine were great but had something to fix or update every single oil change.

I was thinking the other day that we haven’t seen a hungry Mustang try and eat a crowd recently. They must have bred that out of the Mach-Es finally (the ones whose OTA updates were not bricked / fixed in TSB)

Hilarious :joy:

Two lines at Honda’s Suzuka plant in western Japan will cut production by about 20% in October, while its assembly plant in Saitama prefecture, north of Tokyo, will lower production plans by about 40% for the month.

1 Like

Wo ist mein Auto??

operators have been told by the Port of Bremerhaven there is a severe shortage of H&H (high and heavy cargo) drivers and roll on/roll off drivers to move the incoming automobiles. Military exercises have absorbed a fair amount of terminal space usually reserved for operators.

There are also currently not enough ocean vehicle carriers, a situation which has led shipping line Wallenius Wilhelmsen to refuse export bookings to the U.S. for the months of October and November, and possibly December if waiting hours pick up again

:cry::de::santa::red_car:

4 Likes

Will be impactful, but BMW and VW make a good amount of their stuff in the US. Couple the Bremerhaven port issues with potential energy cutbacks in Germany in winter and certain models could be constrained.

1 Like

BMW Group Plant Dingolfing – Dingolfing, Germany

• BMW 4 Series
  • BMW 5 Series
  • BMW 7 Series
  • BMW 8 Series

BMW Regensburg – Regensburg, Germany

• BMW X1
  • BMW X2

BMW Leipzig – Leipzig, Germany

• BMW 2 Series
  • BMW i8
  • BMW i3

BMW US Manufacturing – Greer, South Carolina, USA

• BMW X3
  • BMW X4
  • BMW X5
  • BMW X6
  • BMW X7

BMW San Luis Potosí – San Luis Potosí, Mexico

• BMW 3 Series

Magna Steyr (Contract plant) – Graz, Austria

• BMW Z4

Once in a blue moon you used to see a German 3 series allocation, where diff colors are avail, but I’m not UTD on that info.