Short term rental/subscription from SIXT

Hi All
Not sure if this is good idea but maybe not bad for somone who is looking for a car for a few or several months. 1k miles per month included.

2 Likes

I used it every month…, great deal to be honest

Use my Amex for insurance so I don’t pay for that.

Comes out to like 800 a month

5 Likes

So to confirm, credit card considers this a car rental and gives primary car insurance minus liability? If that’s the case, that’s a pretty good deal for convenience and flexibility

I would run that one to the ground before counting on it. Their terms could draw a distinction between a car rental and a car subscription. Just as an example, even though Turo feels like a rental, Amex doesn’t treat it as a rental so the insurance doesn’t kick in. Also, Amex default coverage is secondary insurance unless you pay extra for primary insurance coverage. Not sure what their terms look like if you don’t carry separate primary insurance.

4 Likes

Ah true, I have sapphire reserve that is primary on rentals. But would need to do more research here to feel fully comfortable.

Not an expert in Insurance world.
Having one car fully insured will provide a full covarage for Sixt subscription? Am I correct?
Got confused.

I looked into renting a car long term a few years ago. From what I remember, 30 days was the cut off for my insurance to cover the rental, but if you swapped out the car and started a new rental contract, you were good. Might vary state to state or insurance carrier to carrier

Yes but Sixt renews contracts every 28 days due to that. So you resign paperwork

Yes I pay the extra 20 dollars for primary via Amex each time.

It doesn’t cover liability though

2 Likes

The key is to determine whether your insurance and/or CC treat it as a rental. Or be in this guy’s shoes.

3 Likes

Always check the t&cs on your card. Both my Chase Ink cards offer primary rental insurance coverage if you pay with them. Not all my Chase cards are primary. My AMEX cards are not primary.

3 Likes

Chase has a 31 day cut off on rentals, so renewing every 4 weeks fits in. The liability piece is the outstanding question, but perhaps a simple umbrella policy covers? Either way, in a sea of high rates and uncertainty, this flexibility is very appealing.

2 Likes

Another option is to add the car onto your own auto insurance policy. It will probably cost less than the $149.99/month Sixt charges for their Basic Protection.

I confirmed with my auto insurance company that they’ll insure a car from a Sixt subscription.

2 Likes

I like this for 1-3 months, but for 4-24 I’d suggest Care by Volvo instead. Which is technically a 24 months contract but can cancel after 4 months without penalty. You’ll actually get new cars with them, the Sixt subscription is a used car, and sometimes 2 years old.

Side note, it’s bewildering how they’re charging $999 for an X5 and $99 for a Model 3 yet the MSRP’s on those are staggeringly different.

Turo is peer-to-peer, Sixt is a car rental company.

True, but… does a car rental running a subscription service still count as a car rental company under the specific terms and conditions for your card. That’s something you’d have to be quite certain of before relying on the card for insurance coverage.

Long term car rental, if they cover - they cover.

I’m getting an x5 from Sixt for 23 days for $912 back in Philly for Xmas. I couldn’t find anything on Turo close to those prices. Seems pretty reasonable if you did rent one long term and use a credit card for insurance.

Enterprise was like $750 for a rav4 so no brainer going with Sixt.

I called GEICO and they told me they cover Turo with my policy. I spoke to a manager after to confirm. Turos fees kill every rental though. Seems ok if you want a luxury car for a day or 2

Turo is like Airbnb. The idea is exciting, but when you go to the checkout page and see all the fees, you close the page.

7 Likes

Sixt charges astronomical fees at some airport locations. They were advertising $1250 a month for an X5 at a Florida location but with taxes and fees, came out to $1750.

What’s weird is I used the phl location. There was an option for local Philadelphia and airport. I checked both and airport was actually cheaper. There’s only one location so it’s strange. Some cities charge crazy taxes for rental cars at airports so I think that’s why you saw those locations costing much more.