Shipping after leasing

Specify your location when asking for input on a deal! Tagging by state (e.g. CA, NJ, NY, usa-nationwide) is mandatory.

Hello. Im in the military and thinking of leasing a car from bmw or benz in california (my permanent residence is in california) and then having it shipped to hawaii. Will that be easy or will it be lots of hurdles for me to ship it?

The reason im considering this is right now im stationed in korea and for me to purchase and ship my second vehicle from here, i need to pay for shipping from korea to west coast and then to hawaii again which will cost a lot. I guess an alternative option is for me to consider leasing/purchasing in hawaii but ive heard the cars cost a lot over there. Any insights from the pros?

There are some shippers that will handle this no problem. Itll get shipped to the long beach port, then hop on a boat and make its eay out there. Expect to pay ~$3k from what I have seen.

Do you know how long you’ll be stationed in Hawaii?

3 to 4 years

Oh i guess u meant from west coast dealer to hawaii. I was afraid there may be some kick backs from the lienholder (benz or bmw) saying no. And also, if the lienholders are ok with this and i get it shipped, theyre ok with me turning in the vehicle from hawaii?

Just an FYI, there is some serious taxes / registrations you will pay with that CA home address. Then when it gets to Hawaii, you have to register it there.

So any duration beyond 3yrs & 2 months you’re going to pay Hawaii prices for your next lease plus at some point the cost of shipping it to the 48?

If he is in the military he will probably need to “register” the shipped car from the mainland in Hawaii but since CA is considered his “home” state he would likely be exempt from fees, weight fees, etc. in Hawaii.

We shipped a 2012 Camry from Long Beach to Honolulu last December with Matson. The cost was $1,650. The process was pretty easy. I saw some new cars with temporary plates waiting to be loaded onto the ship.

If you are thinking about getting a Lexus or Toyota, I have read that Servco, who owns all the Toyota/Lexus dealerships in Hawaii, and is the exclusive distributor of Toyota/Lexus in Hawaii, has been known to delay servicing Toyota/Lexus vehicles that were bought on the mainland and shipped to Hawaii.

Thank you super helpful. Hipefully they dont charge more just because a car is newer or something.

I only need to register my car in one state i think. I guess my only question is do i have a choice and whether or not the hawaii registration and tax for leased vehicles are more expensive than ca. Any insights?

It depends on the car, if it is an EV, its $700/yr in CA. If not It’s probably more like $400.

If the dealer arranges the shipping , then no registration in CA, if you are arranging the shipping without dealer involvement, it will make you register it in CA.

DMV fees in California are not standardized based on gas or electric. There is an additional fee for an electric vehicle, but the year, county of residence, value of vehicle, and other factors make up the fees.

I bought an X5M from Hawaii. It was shipped to LA and then to me. It is a heavy cost. I probably paid about $3000 in shipping

Would it have been any cheaper if u had bought in california and shipped it? (I guess what im asking is if the new car prices were more in hawaii)

I bought a used X5M, which was much cheaper cause gas prices were through the roof in Hawaii so it was a hard sell for them.

Usually, car prices in Hawaii are around MSRP. Depending on what vehicle you are getting, it might not be worth buying outside of Hawaii.

So a dealer is able to arrange the shipping too? And even if they dont, i shouldnt have kuch trouble getting an approval from lienholder for me to ship it? My biggest concern is getting a lease in california and bmw saying no i cant ship it to hawaii. Ive heard that could happen for overseas esp for out of country

Hawaii isn’t out of the country so it shouldn’t be an issue. I would compare buying in Hawaii to not paying shipping back to California once your done there.

Well the nice thing is Hawaii is not ‘out of country’ lol. But CA likes taxes and will anything they can to get tax money out of you. Tell the Dealer you want them to ship it to Hawaii and see how it goes. Otherwise, register in CA, pay the taxes and reregister in Hawaii and pay more taxes.

That would be my concern to keep flip-flopping registrations will be super expensive.