Shipping after leasing

Just a minor correction - military on TDY or stationed elsewhere do not need to re-register personal vehicles. If they have a permanent domiciled state (CA), that’s all they need. There are quite a few exceptions in place for active duty personnel as it relates to DMV purposes, bank, credit cards, mortgage, etc.

Don’t have to - rules are different for active duty personnel.

and Hawaii has some of the most supportive benefits/regulations that I have seen, as it relates to military service members. Other than the DC/MD/VA area… :grin:

1 Like

You are right. I only have to register the car in one state whether it be my home state or hawaii. Any guess on who is cheaper for non electric vehicles? Also, is the consensus that i wouldnt have to pay for return shipping if i were to lease as i can return the vehicle in the bmw located in hawaii?

Just keep it CA. Sooner or later you will have to go back to CA from Hawaii.

He was planning to ground it in Hawaii

1 Like

I’d buy it out at lease end in Hawaii and sell it there. Used car prices in Hawaii are typically/usually higher than on the mainland. Saves you the hassle of grounding it or shipping it back.

Franchise car dealerships in Hawaii are weird… they are very protective of their “turf” and I was told they pay significantly more for their franchises (there is no other competition). For low volume vehicles, even CA dealers restrict a buyer from exporting to Hawaii; I’ve had to sign a non-export agreement for two cars. Now, enforcing it is a different story but I’m just saying they try to deter “poaching” into each other’s territory as much as they can.

I think it may be cheaper to register in HI rather than CA… but here, their DMV link can answer some questions for you

https://www.hawaiicounty.gov/departments/finance/vehicle-registration-licensing/motor-vehicles-fee-information

You’re probably going to be in Honolulu:

If he keeps the CA registration he might be able to reclaim the sales tax.